PDA

View Full Version : OT ... rollerblades

Art
July 22nd 03, 04:38 AM
Hoping that someone on this newsgroup can help me with rollerblading.

I've started rollerblading (acutally I'd rather cycle but my wife likes
rollerblading) and after I've gone about a mile or two my arch starts to
hurt. I've tried an arch support purchased from the local pharmacy. Anyone
been able to deal with this successfully?

July 22nd 03, 03:43 PM
Art > wrote:
: Hoping that someone on this newsgroup can help me with rollerblading.

: I've started rollerblading (acutally I'd rather cycle but my wife likes
: rollerblading) and after I've gone about a mile or two my arch starts to
: hurt. I've tried an arch support purchased from the local pharmacy. Anyone
: been able to deal with this successfully?

The pain is caused by the constant bike path hogging you are doing. Going
from side to side at 8 miles per hours will strain the tendons in your
feet. The pain is amplified by the migrain you are suffering from. The
music you are listening to in your headphones is much to loud and you
cannot care the least that you have stacked up 20 bell ringing cylclists
behind you.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse'
--------------------------------

Pat
July 22nd 03, 07:44 PM
x-no-archive:yes

> Art <> wrote:
> : Hoping that someone on this newsgroup can help me with rollerblading.
>
> : I've started rollerblading (acutally I'd rather cycle but my wife likes
> : rollerblading) and after I've gone about a mile or two my arch starts to
> : hurt. I've tried an arch support purchased from the local pharmacy.
Anyone
> : been able to deal with this successfully?

> The pain is caused by the constant bike path hogging you are doing. Going
> from side to side at 8 miles per hours will strain the tendons in your
> feet. The pain is amplified by the migrain you are suffering from. The
> music you are listening to in your headphones is much to loud and you
> cannot care the least that you have stacked up 20 bell ringing cylclists
> behind you.
>

> --------------------------------
> Bob Masse'

This was funny, Bob. And, something I've seen a lot of! There they are,
swaying from one side of the "Bicycle Path" to the other with straight-out
arms---and I am trying to pass, but I can't get their attention because of
the headphones.

Pat in TX

Jkpoulos7
July 22nd 03, 10:40 PM
>Anyone
>been able to deal with this successfully?

Quit rollerblading. You take up too much space

Michael
July 22nd 03, 10:58 PM
Jkpoulos7 wrote:

> >Anyone
> >been able to deal with this successfully?
>
> Quit rollerblading. You take up too much space

Guess I lack the essential cyclist gene: as I approach a graceful lady
rollerblader from behind, I slow down without realizing it. Just roll
along, gazing at the poetry. <G> One particular gal is so powerful
that I don't have to slow down much, but I don't see her very often
because she's out early while I don't get going until 7:00 or so.

Luigi de Guzman
July 23rd 03, 01:40 AM
"Art" > wrote in message >...
> Hoping that someone on this newsgroup can help me with rollerblading.
>
> I've started rollerblading (acutally I'd rather cycle but my wife likes
> rollerblading) and after I've gone about a mile or two my arch starts to
> hurt. I've tried an arch support purchased from the local pharmacy. Anyone
> been able to deal with this successfully?

Ride a bike.

problem solved.

-luigi

Zippy the Pinhead
July 23rd 03, 02:44 AM
On 22 Jul 2003 21:40:55 GMT, (Jkpoulos7) wrote:

>>Anyone
>>been able to deal with this successfully?
>
>Quit rollerblading. You take up too much space

Didn't we just get done (quite rightly) beating up on a Christian
Fundamentalist Conservative who wrote an op-ed piece saying
essentially the same things to a group bicycle ride?

Maybe I dreamt that...

S. Anderson
July 23rd 03, 03:22 AM
"Art" > wrote in message
> Hoping that someone on this newsgroup can help me with rollerblading.
>
> I've started rollerblading (acutally I'd rather cycle but my wife likes
> rollerblading) and after I've gone about a mile or two my arch starts to
> hurt. I've tried an arch support purchased from the local pharmacy.
Anyone
> been able to deal with this successfully?

I don't know which kind of inlines you have (hockey or rec style), but I can
tell you that in general, skates of any kind are a huge pain to break in. I
dread having to break in new hockey skates. The boot is necessarily stiff
to support your foot and ankle and until the boot moulds to your foot (which
can take months..), pain is inevitable. It took me 3 months to break a pair
of hockey skates in once..and I play 3 times a week. Once broken in though,
they lasted 5 years and were magic. More than any other footwear, I think
skates are critical as far as fit goes. If you have any funky things going
on with your feet, like narrow heels or low arch or high arch, they will be
quite obvious after 10 or 15 minutes in skates. It really pays to shop
around and try on many different pairs in different sizes and widths.

To break them in faster, you can try wearing thick-ish socks and putting
your inlines on in the house while watching television or whatever. Tighten
them up as much as you can bear and leave them on for 10 or 15 or 30 mins.
Eventually the boot will begin to form to your foot. When you go skating
wear much thinner socks and you'll have some clearance and the boot should
be starting to fit a little better.

Another thing to consider is that maybe you just can't skate that well. No
offense, but sometimes if you have balance problems, people will tense up
their feet quite a bit and they'll get cramps from being as rigid as a post.
I don't know how well you skate, but it might help to relax your feet a bit
as you skate.

Cheers,

Scott..

heater
July 23rd 03, 04:23 AM
S. Anderson wrote:
> > I've gone about a mile or two my arch starts to hurt. I've tried an
> > arch support purchased from the local pharmacy.
> Anyone
> > been able to deal with this successfully?

Inline skates are quite like hockey skates and shouldn't take much to
break in at all. Maybe the ones you got are not right for your feet.
Some places will let you take them back if they're giving you that
much trouble.

Bill Davidson
July 23rd 03, 04:36 AM
Zippy the Pinhead wrote:
> Didn't we just get done (quite rightly) beating up on a Christian
> Fundamentalist Conservative who wrote an op-ed piece saying
> essentially the same things to a group bicycle ride?
>
> Maybe I dreamt that...

Nope. It happened. It's just sad. Everyone has their own prejudices
and their own self interests. Screw everybody else. Sigh.

Tollerance is hard to find.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Walter Mitty
July 23rd 03, 10:54 AM
brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
he conjectured that:

> Art > wrote:
>: Hoping that someone on this newsgroup can help me with rollerblading.
>
>: I've started rollerblading (acutally I'd rather cycle but my wife
>: likes rollerblading) and after I've gone about a mile or two my arch
>: starts to hurt. I've tried an arch support purchased from the local
>: pharmacy. Anyone been able to deal with this successfully?
>
> The pain is caused by the constant bike path hogging you are doing.
> Going from side to side at 8 miles per hours will strain the tendons
> in your feet. The pain is amplified by the migrain you are
> suffering from. The music you are listening to in your headphones is
> much to loud and you cannot care the least that you have stacked up 20
> bell ringing cylclists behind you.

*LOL*

Priceless.

--
Walter Mitty.

McZ
July 23rd 03, 01:02 PM

> I've started rollerblading (acutally I'd rather cycle but my wife likes
> rollerblading) and after I've gone about a mile or two my arch starts to
> hurt. I've tried an arch support purchased from the local pharmacy. Anyone
> been able to deal with this successfully?

Make sure you're not "clenching" your toes; new skaters are often a
bit tense and this can cause the sort of arch pain you're describing.

Suzan (who used to race on inlines)

July 23rd 03, 04:24 PM
In article >, McZ
> wrote:

> > I've started rollerblading (acutally I'd rather cycle but my wife likes
> > rollerblading) and after I've gone about a mile or two my arch starts to
> > hurt. I've tried an arch support purchased from the local pharmacy. Anyone
> > been able to deal with this successfully?
>
> Make sure you're not "clenching" your toes; new skaters are often a
> bit tense and this can cause the sort of arch pain you're describing.
>
> Suzan (who used to race on inlines)

Toe clenching is also caused by boots that are too big or people who
over-pronate. The clenching is an effort to control the foot in the
boot. When the foot pronates excessively it flattens at the arch,
lengthens at the toe and widens at the ball. The talus (ankle bone)
and/ or the navicular usually make contact with the boot in unintended
places. People who over pronate usually feel they have a hard time
staying "on top" of the skate so the skater tries to balance on the
outside of their feet. This also leads to arch cramping.

The answer is to buy a skate that fits the size of your foot when it's
unweighted and then control the foot with pads, inserts and/or
orthotics to lessen the pronation. For the OP who already has skates,
try to find out where the local racers get their boots and go there for
a fit session or try a local figure skating/Hockey pro shop. These
issues are absolutely universal for all types of sports that use boots
and within each discipline it's possible to find someone who may be
able to help with the boots you have.

Kurt (who used to be a custom ski-boot fitter)

Pat
July 23rd 03, 10:56 PM
x-no-archive:yes

> Toe clenching is also caused by boots that are too big or people who
> over-pronate. The clenching is an effort to control the foot in the
> boot. When the foot pronates excessively it flattens at the arch,
> lengthens at the toe and widens at the ball. The talus (ankle bone)
> and/ or the navicular usually make contact with the boot in unintended
> places. People who over pronate usually feel they have a hard time
> staying "on top" of the skate so the skater tries to balance on the
> outside of their feet. This also leads to arch cramping.
>
> The answer is to buy a skate that fits the size of your foot when it's
> unweighted and then control the foot with pads, inserts and/or
> orthotics to lessen the pronation. For the OP who already has skates,
> try to find out where the local racers get their boots and go there for
> a fit session or try a local figure skating/Hockey pro shop. These
> issues are absolutely universal for all types of sports that use boots
> and within each discipline it's possible to find someone who may be
> able to help with the boots you have.
>
> Kurt (who used to be a custom ski-boot fitter)

Kurt, I read your post with great interest. I tend to "toe clench" but I
have extremely high arches (a podiatrist wanted to take photos once and put
them in an article he was writing, sigh.) So, I don't pronate. I do have to
wear orthotics, though. I take them and try them in every shoe/boot that I
buy. I don't have inline skates, but I do have ice skates and I have
noticed many similar problems when I wear them. Gotta have lots of inserts
or pads or something!

Pat in TX

July 24th 03, 12:17 AM
In article >, Pat
> wrote:

pat,

See a good fitter so he can see the wear patterns in your boot. A very
quick consideration of your post makes me wonder, "why are you
clenching? Do you not feel you have control of your inside edge? Or
are you trying to keep pressure off your arch? A high foot is USUALLY
a rigid foot but that isn't 100 percent. It may be that you would
benefit from some extra firm re-inforcement (pads) around your ankle.
OR, you just may need to work on relaxation. : )

> Kurt, I read your post with great interest. I tend to "toe clench" but I
> have extremely high arches (a podiatrist wanted to take photos once and put
> them in an article he was writing, sigh.) So, I don't pronate. I do have to
> wear orthotics, though. I take them and try them in every shoe/boot that I
> buy. I don't have inline skates, but I do have ice skates and I have
> noticed many similar problems when I wear them. Gotta have lots of inserts
> or pads or something!
>
> Pat in TX

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home