PDA

View Full Version : Will using this harm the bike?

EasyCompany
December 13th 07, 09:13 PM
Just noticed that the rear spindle of the new bike I just bought
looked 'funny'. Closer look and it was all scratched on the der side
and, in fact, didn't look like the normal part.

Turns out the Bike shop left the skewer from their trainer in it when
a previous customer rode the bike. It was an 07 Trek 500, all carbon
ultegra.

They wouldn't let me ride it in the store or do any 'fitting' (though
I did ride it outside (being on sale).

They said they weren't making money on it, so 'take it or leave it'.
Thus they didn't give it the quick run through and missed that rather
obvious mistake. (They didn't tighten the seat post either after
loosening it and not telling me...) ;-)

At any rate, just wondering if riding a while on the trainer skewer
would harm the bike back there? When I replaced it I noticed those two
little springs were not in there at each end. I just used a generic
performance brand skewer.

Thanks

mrbubl
December 14th 07, 12:55 AM
EasyCompany wrote:
> Just noticed that the rear spindle of the new bike I just bought
> looked 'funny'. Closer look and it was all scratched on the der side
> and, in fact, didn't look like the normal part.
>
> Turns out the Bike shop left the skewer from their trainer in it when
> a previous customer rode the bike. It was an 07 Trek 500, all carbon
> ultegra.
>
> They wouldn't let me ride it in the store or do any 'fitting' (though
> I did ride it outside (being on sale).
>
> They said they weren't making money on it, so 'take it or leave it'.
> Thus they didn't give it the quick run through and missed that rather
> obvious mistake. (They didn't tighten the seat post either after
> loosening it and not telling me...) ;-)
>
> At any rate, just wondering if riding a while on the trainer skewer
> would harm the bike back there? When I replaced it I noticed those two
> little springs were not in there at each end. I just used a generic
> performance brand skewer.
>
> Thanks

nope

Leo Lichtman
December 14th 07, 01:22 AM
"mrbubl" wrote: (clip) They said they weren't making money on it, so 'take
it or leave it'. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Was this an LBS or a flea market? I don't think any self respecting bike
shop would put a customer in that position.
1.) It could involve a safety issue--a loose seatpost could cause an
accident.
2.) A customer should be treated with courtesy and respect, so he/she feels
like coming back.

They were not smart to put themselves in a position where they felt they had
to give skimpy or no service.

It's Chris
December 14th 07, 02:39 AM
Depends, while in the shop was it hung by he rear wheel?

>;-3)

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

landotter
December 14th 07, 02:56 PM
On Dec 13, 3:13 pm, EasyCompany > wrote:
> Just noticed that the rear spindle of the new bike I just bought
> looked 'funny'. Closer look and it was all scratched on the der side
> and, in fact, didn't look like the normal part.
>
> Turns out the Bike shop left the skewer from their trainer in it when
> a previous customer rode the bike. It was an 07 Trek 500, all carbon
> ultegra.

[snip]

At this point, all the salesmen that are reading probably went
turgid...

What you need, is this here bridge! Only the finest masonry and
concrete decking, yesssir!

Mark
December 14th 07, 08:57 PM
On Dec 13, 7:22�pm, "Leo Lichtman" >
wrote:
> "mrbubl" �wrote: (clip) They said they weren't making money on it, so 'take
>
> it or leave it'. (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Was this an LBS or a flea market? �I don't think any self respecting bike
> shop would put a customer in that position.
> 1.) �It could involve a safety issue--a loose seatpost could cause an
> accident.
> 2.) �A customer should be treated with courtesy and respect, so he/she feels
> like coming back.
>
> They were not smart to put themselves in a position where they felt they had
> to give skimpy or no service.

No, you are wrong. This is the Corporate America thinking of today.
It is Screw The Customer, as long as the stockholders and/or owner
makes a buck.

Leo Lichtman
December 15th 07, 12:07 AM
"Mark" > wrote: No, you are wrong. This is the
Corporate America thinking of today.
It is Screw The Customer, as long as the stockholders and/or owner
makes a buck.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The pitcher goes to the well until it breaks. I know of numerous examples
where the business made money by screwing the customer, got found out, and
lost in the long run.

EasyCompany
December 15th 07, 02:47 PM
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 01:22:22 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
> wrote:

>"mrbubl" wrote: (clip) They said they weren't making money on it, so 'take
>it or leave it'. (clip)
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Was this an LBS or a flea market? I don't think any self respecting bike
>shop would put a customer in that position.
>1.) It could involve a safety issue--a loose seatpost could cause an
>accident.
>2.) A customer should be treated with courtesy and respect, so he/she feels
>like coming back.
>
>They were not smart to put themselves in a position where they felt they had
>to give skimpy or no service.

Actually, I just mentally went over things and realized it was not the
LBS that sold it, it was the LBS that did the fit testing.

The original LBS that sold it to me, as I mentioned, declined to fit
test it in any way, so I made an appt at another shop (we have 4 in
town) and they did the fit test. So it was probably them that left the
wrong skewer in there when it was put on the trainer. (yikes!)

The second shop is pretty good, though they have some 'issues' too.
I'm sure one of the wrenches was scratching their head - 'hey where's
the trainer skewer...and why do we have an extra Ultegra skewer...' :)

Anyway thanks for the comments.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home