PDA

View Full Version : Riding when under the weather..

Duncan Smith
December 19th 07, 09:03 PM
Like a lot of others at the moment I had a pretty sh*tty chesty cough
last week, after taking a few days off I thought it would be time to
get back in the saddle. Ended up in a hooping cough fit for about an
hour. I was thinking that the cold air may have had a sterilizing
effect on the lungs. Maybe I'm wrong here, is exercise in the cold to
be avoided or encouraged when recovering from a bout of the winter
chills?

Thanks,

Duncan

PK
December 19th 07, 10:01 PM
"Duncan Smith" > wrote in message
Maybe I'm wrong here, is exercise in the cold to
> be avoided or encouraged when recovering from a bout of the winter
> chills?

not advisable at all with a viral infection & raised temp (99.5 or above) as
there is a risk of heart damage.

with a cold it's fine!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_n5_v16/ai_21195455

I had full blow flu 2 years ago. I was stuck to the sofa for a fortnight & a
walk round the block was all I could manage for the next two weeks - the doc
banned me from the bike for a month after that! I now understand how it is
that flu kills people and that I had never in fact had flu before simply a
cold-with-flu-like-symptoms!

pk

pk

vernon[_2_]
December 19th 07, 10:10 PM
"Duncan Smith" > wrote in message
> Like a lot of others at the moment I had a pretty sh*tty chesty cough
> last week, after taking a few days off I thought it would be time to
> get back in the saddle. Ended up in a hooping cough fit for about an
> hour. I was thinking that the cold air may have had a sterilizing
> effect on the lungs. Maybe I'm wrong here, is exercise in the cold to
> be avoided or encouraged when recovering from a bout of the winter
> chills?

I thought that if the malady was above the neck it was ok to ride and if
below the neck then resting was a pretty good idea. I've lost four weekends
to heavy colds and chesty coughs since the end of September. I'm hoping to
get out this weekend for a short ride before attempting a few 100km rides
before the end of the month.

Jim
December 19th 07, 11:05 PM
As we're comparing afflictions I thought I would air mine.

Over the past few months I have found that cycling has given me toothache!
It's very odd I don't get it whilst I'm cycling but 20minutes after I get
back home after cycling I get toothache (regular as clockwork) it lasts 20
minutes then subsides.
I was blaming the Dextro tablets that I suck but stopping them made no
difference.
Does this happen to anyone else?

Jim J

Nige Danton
December 20th 07, 12:59 AM
On Dec 20, 6:10 am, "vernon" > wrote:

> I thought that if the malady was above the neck it was ok to ride and if
> below the neck then resting was a pretty good idea. I've lost four weekends

Yep, that's my approach too and I reckon it's better to give yourself
a little extra time than to start too soon.

--
Nige Danton

NewRiderPS
December 20th 07, 01:00 AM
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:05:46 -0000, "Jim" > wrote:

>As we're comparing afflictions I thought I would air mine.
>
>Over the past few months I have found that cycling has given me toothache!
>It's very odd I don't get it whilst I'm cycling but 20minutes after I get
>back home after cycling I get toothache (regular as clockwork) it lasts 20
>minutes then subsides.
>I was blaming the Dextro tablets that I suck but stopping them made no
>difference.
>Does this happen to anyone else?
>
> Jim J

Clenching of the jaw, unconsciously? If you've ruled out a cavity or
other problem, that would my guess. Molar?

Rob Morley
December 20th 07, 02:23 AM
In article >, Jim
says...
> As we're comparing afflictions I thought I would air mine.
>
> Over the past few months I have found that cycling has given me toothache!
> It's very odd I don't get it whilst I'm cycling but 20minutes after I get
> back home after cycling I get toothache (regular as clockwork) it lasts 20
> minutes then subsides.
> I was blaming the Dextro tablets that I suck but stopping them made no
> difference.
> Does this happen to anyone else?

Jaw pain can be associated with angina - it might be worth seeing your
GP.

BigRab
December 20th 07, 09:02 AM
Above the Neck - Ride like Heck
In the Chest - Give it a Rest.

Usually works for me, at least, I'm not dead yet.

Colin McKenzie
December 20th 07, 10:38 AM
Jim wrote:

> As we're comparing afflictions I thought I would air mine.
>
> Over the past few months I have found that cycling has given me toothache!
> It's very odd I don't get it whilst I'm cycling but 20minutes after I get
> back home after cycling I get toothache (regular as clockwork) it lasts 20
> minutes then subsides.

I suspect it's to do with cold wind chilling the tooth. I got it from
time to time a year ago, though the pain was while cycling, not after.

Try cycling with your mouth shut!

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Pete Biggs
December 20th 07, 11:08 AM
BigRab wrote:
> Above the Neck - Ride like Heck
> In the Chest - Give it a Rest.

Does throat count as above or below the neck?

~PB

al Mossah
December 20th 07, 03:02 PM
On 20 Dec, 11:08, "Pete Biggs"
> BigRab wrote:
> > Above the Neck - Ride like Heck
> > In the Chest - Give it a Rest.
>
> Does throat count as above or below the neck?
>
> ~PB

I had a week of horrible 'flu last week. No cold symptoms, but lots
of aches, fluctuating temp, then came out in spots!

Got back on the bike for regular commute, but it certainly brings on
the cough, which I assume is the body's way of getting rid of all the
crap that's been building up in the lungs.

The upside.... at least I got it over with before the holiday.

Peter.

Peter.

naked_draughtsman
December 20th 07, 06:12 PM
On Dec 19, 9:03 pm, Duncan Smith > wrote:
> Ended up in a hooping cough fit for about an
> hour. I was thinking that the cold air may have had a sterilizing
> effect on the lungs.

A few weeks ago I was really wheezy when I got home from work for
about an hour and thought it was the cold but it's much much colder
tonight and I'm fine. However, it's misty and damp today whereas
before I thought the air was very cold and dry.

At the moment the persistent cold is causing havoc with my knees (I'm
only 24!) and my knuckles despite wearing gloves.

peter

Ian Smith
December 20th 07, 07:03 PM
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, naked_draughtsman <> wrote:

> A few weeks ago I was really wheezy when I got home from work for
> about an hour and thought it was the cold but it's much much colder
> tonight and I'm fine. However, it's misty and damp today whereas
> before I thought the air was very cold and dry.

I was somewhat asthmatic as a youth. One sure-fire way to trigger a
wheezy fit was to go from a warm moist muggy atmosphere to cold dry
air. Leaving a party late at night was the most common trigger. It
seems to be particularly tough on the lungs if they're not quite 100%.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Garry from Cork
December 21st 07, 07:08 AM
On Dec 19, 11:05 pm, "Jim" > wrote:
> As we're comparing afflictions I thought I would air mine.
>
> Over the past few months I have found that cycling has given me toothache!
> It's very odd I don't get it whilst I'm cycling but 20minutes after I get
> back home after cycling I get toothache (regular as clockwork) it lasts 20
> minutes then subsides.
> I was blaming the Dextro tablets that I suck but stopping them made no
> difference.
> Does this happen to anyone else?
>
> Jim J

If you got toothache cycling that would be suspicious of angina, which
can be felt in the jaw, and sometimes only in the jaw. You could be
suffering from temporomandibular joint pain, which is usually caused
by stress. Are you pushing yourself hard??

Garry from Cork
December 21st 07, 07:09 AM
Sometimes an apparent cough is asthma. Asthma in adults particularly,
can present as cough. Other than that, the inflamed bronchus is
hypersensitive to cold air. So wait until you're better.

Jim
December 21st 07, 08:19 PM
"Colin McKenzie" > wrote in message
> I suspect it's to do with cold wind chilling the tooth. I got it from time
> to time a year ago, though the pain was while cycling, not after.
>
> Try cycling with your mouth shut!
>
> Colin McKenzie

I suspected it was a cold thing. I can't cycle with my mouth shut, I tried
cycling with a fleece neck warmer over my mouth but only succeeded in
misting up my specs (it was cold and foggy tonight).
I did get the neck warmer up over my mouth and nose for the last half mile
downhill home though and that seemed to do the trick, no toothache tonight.
I suspect it's not so much my mouth getting cold but my face.
Thanks to others about the alert on angina, I think (hope) my heart's okay,
no other pains when cycl...........................
..
Cheers
Jim J

Google