PDA

View Full Version : Re: Interesting Factoid Nos. 101 & 102

Rob Schuh
December 20th 07, 09:57 PM
"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Prisoner at War > wrote:
>>
>> In an average-sized man, about 525 grams of glycogen are stored in the
>> muscle with another 25 grams of glucose in the blood. The liver
>> stores an additional 100 grams of glycogen, which can be broken down
>> to glucose and released into the blood to maintain blood glucose as it
>> is being used by the tissues of the body. The amount of energy stored
>> as carbohydrate in the body is about 2,600 calories, of which 80
>> percent or 2,000 calories can be used.
>
> This is consistant with folks who switch from a high carb diet to
> 20 carb grams per day taking about 2-3 days to run out of
> stored carbs and switch into ketonuria. More of interest to
> the folks on ASDLC than ASD or the other groups in the list.
>
>> This is enough energy for two hours of moderate exercise.
>>
>> Comments:
>>
>> 2K calories for two hours of moderate exercise?? Does bicycling at an
>> average ~15mph count as moderate exercise??
>
> My treadmill claims about 100 calories per mile at a walk with
> a 6 degree incline. 2K calories would be 20 miles at that rate.
> Clearly moderate is the sort of run folks do with 5K and 10K
> runs.
>
>> I could, and have, done
>> that all day with no water or food, and do not recall any problems
>> such as cramps, light-headedness, and whatnot.
>
> The carbs referred to probably actually mean acetyl-CoA
> delivered to the mitochondria. Glucose is converted to that
> directly in the mitochondria, but that isn't the only metabolic
> source of acetyl-CoA. Fatty acids get burned by conversion
> to acetyl-CoA and/or conversion into ketones. Burn slow
> enough and the fuel can be converted from fat without need
> to drain glucose down to zero.
>
> One of the ideas of heart rate in aerobic exercise is to keep
> the burn rate low enough that fatty acids can be burned
> mostly through the acetyl-CoA pathway. Aerobic to burn
> as much fat as possible in the mixture of fuels.
>
>> I still think running is the best exercise for weight-loss.
>
> The best fat loss of my life was during Navy boot camp. it
> had an hour a day of marching - very fast walking - and a half
> hour an evening of running plus calestentics. It was a mixture
> that heavily favored aerobic over resistance.

Doug,
I think a key thing here is to make sure that people know that doing heavy
resistance training will cause more muscle growth. The more muscle you have,
the more calories you will burn. THE biggest thing here though is to NEVER
engage in any type of dialogue with this racist little troll, PAW. He is a
bigoted moron who knows nothing about anything on topic. Everyone would be
far better off if he is kill filed or ignored by all.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/