PDA

View Full Version : Annual Road Find Thread

December 22nd 07, 08:51 PM
Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?

Bill

__o | When gas hit $3 a gallon,
[ ]___`\(,_ | People stopped asking why,
(_) (_)/ (_) | And asked, "Where can I get one?"

[1] For obvious reasons I didn't pick this one up, but on one occasion,
riding down the west shore of Utah Lake, I saw a boat. Evidently it had
fallen off a trailer, and the owners either didn't realize it, or decided
that in its damaged condition, it wasn't worth the effort to pick it up.

December 22nd 07, 09:17 PM
On Dec 22, 2:51 pm, wrote:
> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
> roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
> week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
> But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
> slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?
>
> Bill
>
> __o | When gas hit $3 a gallon,
> [ ]___`\(,_ | People stopped asking why,
> (_) (_)/ (_) | And asked, "Where can I get one?"
>
> [1] For obvious reasons I didn't pick this one up, but on one occasion,
> riding down the west shore of Utah Lake, I saw a boat. Evidently it had
> fallen off a trailer, and the owners either didn't realize it, or decided
> that in its damaged condition, it wasn't worth the effort to pick it up.

I found a small Gerber pocket knife about 3 weeks ago.

The handle (aluminum) had a few scratches and gouges, as if it had
been driven over but the blade is perfect.

Lewis.

*****

ZBicyclist
December 22nd 07, 10:26 PM
wrote:

> I found a small Gerber pocket knife about 3 weeks ago.
>
> The handle (aluminum) had a few scratches and gouges, as if it had
> been driven over but the blade is perfect.

Just this morning I found a small screwdriver in good shape.

Another rider pointed out there was a lip balm on the ground nearby, but I
passed on that. ;)

I found a leatherman-like tool earlier in the year. It's a bit scratched,
but serviceable.

--
Mike Kruger
Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

Brian Sanderson
December 22nd 07, 11:06 PM
> wrote in message
> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
> roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
> week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
> But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
> slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?
>
> <snip>

One pair foster grant "Patriot" sunglasses. Found a pair of "Ironman"
glasses two years ago.

A blinkie (since lost again)

A craftsman 13mm flare-nut wrench.

Really nice gloves.

Kristian M Zoerhoff
December 22nd 07, 11:45 PM
On 2007-12-22, > wrote:

> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?

A shoebox full of nice vinyl-coated wall hooks; the kind you screw into a
garage wall for hanging stuff (not my bikes, though, they go on pulleys).
My garage has never been so neat.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Mike Jacoubowsky
December 23rd 07, 12:02 AM
My son found an iPod up on Skyline (SF peninsula). We've posted to
ba.bicycles and ba.motorcycles trying to find its owner; the name in the
iPod isn't any help. Soon as Christmas is over and it's safe to go near an
Apple store, we'll see if they can track it back via the serial number.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> wrote in message
> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
> roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
> week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
> But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
> slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?
>

> Bill
>
> __o | When gas hit $3 a gallon,
> [ ]___`\(,_ | People stopped asking why,
> (_) (_)/ (_) | And asked, "Where can I get one?"
>

> [1] For obvious reasons I didn't pick this one up, but on one occasion,
> riding down the west shore of Utah Lake, I saw a boat. Evidently it had
> fallen off a trailer, and the owners either didn't realize it, or decided
> that in its damaged condition, it wasn't worth the effort to pick it up.

patrick mitchel
December 23rd 07, 12:22 AM
The best leather work gloves I ever had
A leather fanny pack with 50 dollars in it (given back to owner that
described the contents a day later)
A flourescent green dildo (no I didn't post a note at the location asking
the owner to call and descrice for return!!)
Pat

Zoot Katz
December 23rd 07, 02:11 AM
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:51:35 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

>My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
>slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?

The only two items that come to mind as legitimate road finds instead
of in back lanes or bins are a pair of duck-bill snips in decent
condition and a new looking mini-pump. I found a great toque too but
managed to give it away the same day.

I'm puzzled as to how the mini-pump still had its bottle-mount clips
attached.

ohh, and if anybody finds my Park CT-6* folding chain breaker, I'd
like it back.

*Save your money on multi-tools with chain breakers. This tool works.
(except on heavy duty 1/8" chain)
--
zk

Ted
December 23rd 07, 04:02 AM
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this
year?
I found a very nice Craftsman adjustable wrench, 12 inches or so, in
the middle of the street. I had to hold up traffic to get it.
Fortunately close to home; it was hard to carry on my road bike.
Other than that just a lot of road kill.

Ted.

me
December 23rd 07, 04:50 AM
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:51:35 +0000, D_Frumious_B wrote:

> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
> roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
> week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around
> here?) But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it
> is, is a slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?

Few days ago I found (saw) a small decorative blinkie ( red green blue)
meant to clip onto bag or similar. The caribiner type clip had failed.

I'm going to give it to a lady at the store who has some xmas decorations
around her neck.

Doug Smith W9WI
December 23rd 07, 05:56 AM
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:51:35 +0000, D_Frumious_B wrote:
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?

- Two boxes of Allen wrenches. Mostly empty.
- Bo Diddly CD. (in perfect shape)
- Cell phone. No "ICE" number in memory, but it did have "HOME" allowing
reunification with owner. (or at least owner's spouse)
- Plenty of roadkill. However, no fish this year.

Leo Lichtman
December 23rd 07, 04:39 PM
"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" wrote: So......SOMEONE out there scored
pretty good!!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not really. Finders got lights with broken clamps. The new clamps likely
later broke also, so they had nothing and were out the money. If the cycle
keeps repeating, Blackburn is the main beneficiary.

Jay[_2_]
December 23rd 07, 05:42 PM
> wrote in message
> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
> roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
> week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
> But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
> slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?
>

> Bill
>
> __o | When gas hit $3 a gallon,
> [ ]___`\(,_ | People stopped asking why,
> (_) (_)/ (_) | And asked, "Where can I get one?"
>

> [1] For obvious reasons I didn't pick this one up, but on one occasion,
> riding down the west shore of Utah Lake, I saw a boat. Evidently it had
> fallen off a trailer, and the owners either didn't realize it, or decided
> that in its damaged condition, it wasn't worth the effort to pick it up.

It was a hot, humid July day, and I was wearing my new Ireland jersey for
the first time. Riding home from work, I realized I had $0 for a tall cool
one. Feeling sorry for myself, I looked down to see a folded up $20 dollar
bill. So I stopped in at the first Irish bar, and shared my story.

Luck of the Irish! - J.

Claire Petersky
December 23rd 07, 06:21 PM
> wrote in message

> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up this year?

A single bootie, seemingly brand new, probably someone's Xmas present, found
right at the beginning of the new year - maybe bounced out of the bike bag?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Kristian M Zoerhoff
December 23rd 07, 07:17 PM
On 2007-12-23, Jay > wrote:

> It was a hot, humid July day, and I was wearing my new Ireland jersey for
> the first time. Riding home from work, I realized I had $0 for a tall cool
> one. Feeling sorry for myself, I looked down to see a folded up $20 dollar
> bill. So I stopped in at the first Irish bar, and shared my story.

Jay,

I think we need to pub crawl the NW burbs.

You wear the Ireland jersey, I'll wear my Germany jersey.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Jay[_2_]
December 23rd 07, 07:42 PM
"Kristian M Zoerhoff" > wrote in message
> On 2007-12-23, Jay > wrote:
>>>
>> It was a hot, humid July day, and I was wearing my new Ireland jersey for
>> the first time. Riding home from work, I realized I had $0 for a tall
>> cool
>> one. Feeling sorry for myself, I looked down to see a folded up $20
>> dollar
>> bill. So I stopped in at the first Irish bar, and shared my story.
>
> Jay,
>
> I think we need to pub crawl the NW burbs.
>
> You wear the Ireland jersey, I'll wear my Germany jersey.
>
> --
>
> Kristian Zoerhoff

Hallo K,

I bought a Germany jersey http://tinyurl.com/2vu9vm
on sale from Performance last season, at season end. It was too small - I
knew it would be when I ordered it, but it did not cost anything to check it
out.

I still think the Performance Germany jersey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic might be just too intimidating for
ordinary Chicago folk. Any mention of 'die Teutonen' will certainly bring a
blank stare.

J.

Kristian M Zoerhoff
December 23rd 07, 08:10 PM
On 2007-12-23, Jay > wrote:

> I bought a Germany jersey http://tinyurl.com/2vu9vm
> on sale from Performance last season, at season end.

That's the one.

> I still think the Performance Germany jersey
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic might be just too intimidating for
> ordinary Chicago folk. Any mention of 'die Teutonen' will certainly bring a
> blank stare.

Not in Lincoln Square.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Tom Keats
December 24th 07, 04:47 AM
In article >,
writes:
> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
> roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
> week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
> But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
> slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?

I found the elegant answer to the Grand Unification Theory
problem. But I didn't need it, so I gave to some homeless
passerby.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Ryan Cousineau
December 24th 07, 08:31 PM
In article >,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

> In article >,
> writes:
> > Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
> > roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
> > week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
> > But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
> > slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> > So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?
>
> I found the elegant answer to the Grand Unification Theory
> problem. But I didn't need it, so I gave to some homeless
> passerby.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

A new roll of masking tape (damp) and a few coins here and there. Not a
great year for finds.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

ZBicyclist
December 24th 07, 09:08 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article >,
> writes:
>> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all
>> kinds of roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing
>> until the last week of November. (People starting to get careful or
>> clean around here?) But I finally got something. My find of the
>> year, modest as it is, is a slightly rusted but still usable pair of
>> needle-nosed pliers. So how about the rest of you, what did you
>> pick up [1] this year?
>
> I found the elegant answer to the Grand Unification Theory
> problem. But I didn't need it, so I gave to some homeless
> passerby.

You mean the Surfer Dude who came up with a possible answer to Grand
Unification Theory?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox&xml=/earth/2007/11/14/scisurf114.xml
That was really you? I wouldn't have guessed.

--
Mike Kruger
Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

dgk
December 26th 07, 02:41 PM
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:06:19 -0800, "Brian Sanderson"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
>> roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
>> week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
>> But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
>> slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
>> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?
>>
>> <snip>
>
>One pair foster grant "Patriot" sunglasses. Found a pair of "Ironman"
>glasses two years ago.
>
>A blinkie (since lost again)
>
>A craftsman 13mm flare-nut wrench.
>
>Really nice gloves.

Oh, I think I lost those gloves.

Alex Colvin
December 26th 07, 05:09 PM
>I found the elegant answer to the Grand Unification Theory
>problem. But I didn't need it, so I gave to some homeless
>passerby.

That would be Archimedes (Ludwig) von Plutonium
--
mac the naïf

Tom Keats
December 27th 07, 04:35 AM
In article >,
Zoot Katz > writes:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:51:35 +0000 (UTC),
> wrote:
>
>>My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
>>slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
>> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?
>
> The only two items that come to mind as legitimate road finds instead
> of in back lanes or bins are a pair of duck-bill snips in decent
> condition and a new looking mini-pump. I found a great toque too but
> managed to give it away the same day.

I found the mom of co-publisher of Momentum Magazine:
Amy Walker. Or rather, she found me. Amy's mom is
a very nice person. I was coming out of Nestor's
Supermarket on Main St between 28th and 29th, unlocking
my bike from the parking meter, and considering doing a
run down to OCB to pick up a couple of copies of the
latest issue of Momentum (one for my next door neighbour.)
She approached me and asked if I'd like a copy of Momentum.

Talk about synchronicity! "Yes, please!" I promptly
piped up. "May I have two?" She gave me three, so
I also got a bathroom copy (sometimes the best kind,
as long as you've got yer reading glasses with ya.)

She was delivering them around town. Although I'd never
before met her, I recognized her right off the bat, I
suppose from her pic in the Valentine's day issue.

She apologized for using a mini-van instead of her usual
bike for discharging her bi-monthly rounds. I wanted to
reassure her that I felt she was providing a good public
service, and she shouldn't worry about it, but all I could
come up with was: "Oh, well."

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Derek Lloyd
December 27th 07, 07:11 PM
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:51:35 +0000 (UTC),
doth put forth:

> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all kinds of
>roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing until the last
>week of November. (People starting to get careful or clean around here?)
>But I finally got something. My find of the year, modest as it is, is a
>slightly rusted but still usable pair of needle-nosed pliers.
> So how about the rest of you, what did you pick up [1] this year?

I found a handset for a cordless phone just short of an intersection
in the middle of the country. Couldn't find the base, so I left it
hooked over the stop sign 20 ft away. Hope the owner found it...

--
Derek Lloyd <*>

David L. Johnson
December 27th 07, 07:55 PM
ZBicyclist wrote:

> You mean the Surfer Dude who came up with a possible answer to Grand
> Unification Theory?
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox&xml=/earth/2007/11/14/scisurf114.xml
> That was really you? I wouldn't have guessed.

Thanks for pointing that out. It actually looks interesting.

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

David L. Johnson
December 27th 07, 07:55 PM
Alex Colvin wrote:
>> I found the elegant answer to the Grand Unification Theory
>> problem. But I didn't need it, so I gave to some homeless
>> passerby.
>
> That would be Archimedes (Ludwig) von Plutonium

It's been a long time since I've heard of him.

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mike Yankee
December 28th 07, 02:21 AM
In August I found a ring of keys that fell off a lady's car. (She'd
set them momentarily the roof while getting in, then forgot about them
because her husband's keys were already in the ignition. The amazing
this is that they stayed on the roof for several miles before sliding
off.) I took them to the nearest police station, and the cops tracked
her down using the bar code on a little Auto Zone card that was on the
ring. The lady sent me a generous gift certificate for dinner at a
local restaurant. In October I found a cheap aluminum cross with WWJD
(What Would Jesus Do?) engraved on it -- not as good as a few years
back, when I found $11 in quarters. Still, not bad, for living in the
sticks.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 28th 07, 02:37 AM
Mike Yankee wrote:
> ...In October I found a cheap aluminum cross with WWJD
> (What Would Jesus Do?) engraved on it...

WWJD is an acronym for What Would Jobst Do? Please try to keep up.

POST FREE OR DIE!

Brian Huntley
December 28th 07, 04:14 AM
I've been informally tracking gloves found. Right hand gloves
outnumber lefts by about 8:1 - I think people must take them off to
undo their seat belts, then drop then when they hop out of cars (which
have stopped illegally in my path, usually...)

Tom Keats
December 28th 07, 09:33 AM
In article >,
Brian Huntley > writes:

> I've been informally tracking gloves found. Right hand gloves
> outnumber lefts by about 8:1 - I think people must take them off to
> undo their seat belts, then drop then when they hop out of cars (which
> have stopped illegally in my path, usually...)

So /that's/ what that's all about!

I, too, spot many halves of pairs of gloves
lying on the streets at this time of year.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Aeek
December 28th 07, 01:28 PM
I found an allen key in a size I use.
Only spotted it because it is so shiny.

Alex Colvin
December 28th 07, 01:49 PM
>>> I found the elegant answer to the Grand Unification Theory
>>> problem. But I didn't need it, so I gave to some homeless
>>> passerby.
>>
>> That would be Archimedes (Ludwig) von Plutonium

>It's been a long time since I've heard of him.

I used to be a neighbor. He was a pretty serious bike commuter.
--
mac the naïf

Tom Keats
December 29th 07, 09:30 AM
In article >,
"ZBicyclist" > writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>> In article >,
>> writes:
>>> Okay, I'll start. After going three thousand miles over all
>>> kinds of roads, urban, rural, and downright remote, I had nothing
>>> until the last week of November. (People starting to get careful or
>>> clean around here?) But I finally got something. My find of the
>>> year, modest as it is, is a slightly rusted but still usable pair of
>>> needle-nosed pliers. So how about the rest of you, what did you
>>> pick up [1] this year?
>>
>> I found the elegant answer to the Grand Unification Theory
>> problem. But I didn't need it, so I gave to some homeless
>> passerby.
>
> You mean the Surfer Dude who came up with a possible answer to Grand
> Unification Theory?
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox&xml=/earth/2007/11/14/scisurf114.xml
> That was really you? I wouldn't have guessed.

Hilbert conceptual stuff makes my brain hurt.

(Just selecting menu items can make my brain hurt.)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.