PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Mileage Goals

Claire Petersky
January 1st 08, 03:30 PM
In 2007, I bicycled an estimated 3925 miles. I did so based when I had a
part time work schedule through most of the year, and throughout the best
bicycling weather of the year.

I was invited to participate in a 5000 mile goal for 2008, but I don't think
it's realistic. I don't want to set goals that I can not make. 4000 would be
more than this year - it is both doable and still a stretch.

Here's the monthly subgoals for the year:

Jan 200
Feb 200*
Mar 300*
Apr 300
May 400*
Jun 500*
Jul 500
Aug 500*
Sep 400
Oct 300
Nov 200*
Dec 200

* Met or exceeded those miles in 2007

I am logging these miles through 43things
(http://www.43things.com/things/view/1825063/bicycle-4000-miles-in-2008). If
you are interested in participating in this goal as a team on that site (of
course, you can set your own monthly subgoals), let me know, and I'll issue
you an invitation.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Jim F
January 1st 08, 07:03 PM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
> In 2007, I bicycled an estimated 3925 miles. I did so based when I had a
> part time work schedule through most of the year, and throughout the best
> bicycling weather of the year.
>
> I was invited to participate in a 5000 mile goal for 2008, but I don't
> think it's realistic. I don't want to set goals that I can not make. 4000
> would be more than this year - it is both doable and still a stretch.
>
> Here's the monthly subgoals for the year:
>
> Jan 200
> Feb 200*
> Mar 300*
> Apr 300
> May 400*
> Jun 500*
> Jul 500
> Aug 500*
> Sep 400
> Oct 300
> Nov 200*
> Dec 200
>
> * Met or exceeded those miles in 2007
>
> I am logging these miles through 43things
> (http://www.43things.com/things/view/1825063/bicycle-4000-miles-in-2008).
> If you are interested in participating in this goal as a team on that site
> (of course, you can set your own monthly subgoals), let me know, and I'll
> issue you an invitation.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

http://www.bikejournal.com/index.asp is pretty good too. It's free if you
want the basics.

My 2007 goal was 4000. I did 4113, thanks in part to bikejournal. 2008 I'm
hoping for more.
--
JF

"Bad will be the day for every man when he becomes absolutely contented with
the life he is living, with the thoughts he is thinking, with the deeds he
is doing, when there is not forever beating at the doors of his soul some
great desire to do something larger, which he knows that he was meant and
made to do because he is still, in spite of all, the child of God. "
- Phillip Brooks

Arthur Shapiro
January 1st 08, 10:31 PM
I like to set low goals and exceed them.

I set my goal as 1000 miles for 2007, and did 6134.

I set a climbing goal of 10000 feet, and ended up with 326,800'. I'm not sure
I'll ever be able to top that figure.

Art

Patrick Lamb
January 2nd 08, 01:32 AM
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 07:30:47 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
> wrote:
>In 2007, I bicycled an estimated 3925 miles. I did so based when I had a
>part time work schedule through most of the year, and throughout the best
>bicycling weather of the year.
>
>I was invited to participate in a 5000 mile goal for 2008, but I don't think
>it's realistic. I don't want to set goals that I can not make. 4000 would be
>more than this year - it is both doable and still a stretch.

(SNIP!)

As an aside, it also doesn't make sense to push too hard. I'll be
shooting for 5,000 this year, and should be able to make it based on
commuting (new job last fall moved out a bit). That will also take
some pressure off from my wife, who believes I'm obsessed with
cycling.

>I am logging these miles through 43things
>(http://www.43things.com/things/view/1825063/bicycle-4000-miles-in-2008). If
>you are interested in participating in this goal as a team on that site (of
>course, you can set your own monthly subgoals), let me know, and I'll issue
>you an invitation.

I'll continue to jot down trip mileage in a desk calendar, but I'm too
shy to put it on line. And to cut down on the obsession part, I'll
try not to put everything in a spreadsheet until the end of the year.

Or at least the end of the month.

Would you believe once a week?

Pat

Email address works as is.

Tom Keats
January 2nd 08, 08:58 AM
In article >,
Patrick Lamb > writes:

> I'll continue to jot down trip mileage in a desk calendar, but I'm too
> shy to put it on line. And to cut down on the obsession part, I'll
> try not to put everything in a spreadsheet until the end of the year.
>
> Or at least the end of the month.
>
> Would you believe once a week?

I wonder if modern digital technology has rendered us
too quantitative at the expense of the qualitative?

I respectfully suggest documenting your rides with
snapshots, or better yet -- colour slides. By all
means, document your experiences and impressions
around the pix.

A home slide show complete with good company, hors
d'ouvres and various refreshments is thoroughly
enjoyable. Much more so than a bunch of dry numbers
on the cycling equivalent to a ledger that you'll
scarcely look at, anyway. Maybe your wife might
even begin to understand your joie de velo.

Some appropriate b/g music to underscore your
running narration, and it's beautiful.

I should heed my own advice.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Jim F
January 2nd 08, 02:19 PM
"Patrick Lamb" > wrote...

> I'll continue to jot down trip mileage in a desk calendar, but I'm too
> shy to put it on line.

On bikejournal.com you can keep your data private and they have a free
option.

--
JF

"Bad will be the day for every man when he becomes absolutely contented with
the life he is living, with the thoughts he is thinking, with the deeds he
is doing, when there is not forever beating at the doors of his soul some
great desire to do something larger, which he knows that he was meant and
made to do because he is still, in spite of all, the child of God. "
- Phillip Brooks

January 2nd 08, 04:04 PM
On Jan 2, 2:58*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article >,
> * * * * Patrick Lamb > writes:
>
> > I'll continue to jot down trip mileage in a desk calendar, but I'm too
> > shy to put it on line. *And to cut down on the obsession part, I'll
> > try not to put everything in a spreadsheet until the end of the year.
>
> > Or at least the end of the month.
>
> > Would you believe once a week?
>
> I wonder if modern digital technology has rendered us
> too quantitative at the expense of the qualitative?

I'll argue this point as soon as I come up with a counter. (May be a
while.)

> I respectfully suggest documenting your rides with
> snapshots, or better yet -- colour slides. *By all
> means, document your experiences and impressions
> around the pix.
>
> A home slide show complete with good company, hors
> d'ouvres and various refreshments is thoroughly
> enjoyable. *Much more so than a bunch of dry numbers
> on the cycling equivalent to a ledger that you'll
> scarcely look at, anyway. *Maybe your wife might
> even begin to understand your joie de velo.
>
> Some appropriate b/g music to underscore your
> running narration, and it's beautiful.
>
> I should heed my own advice.

Great idea, but I'd rather be riding. :)

I usually try to jot down at least a route description. The first
year I was methodical about logging rides, I didn't have the
spreadsheet until the end of the year. I spent a few hours reviewing
and remembering those rides as I input them. Rather pleasant!

Pat

Stephen Harding
January 2nd 08, 04:15 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> In 2007, I bicycled an estimated 3925 miles. I did so based when I had a
> part time work schedule through most of the year, and throughout the best
> bicycling weather of the year.
>
> I was invited to participate in a 5000 mile goal for 2008, but I don't think
> it's realistic. I don't want to set goals that I can not make. 4000 would be
> more than this year - it is both doable and still a stretch.

I set no goals for bike mileage beyond attempting to stay
within my 15 year annual mileage range of 2000-5500 miles.

Last year was 4200 and this year only 3500. The very wet
spring of last year cost me.

Last year, I also decided I'd attempt more "joy miles", to
add to my annual totals. The majority of my miles are
simply commuting back and forth to/from work. Even while
commuting, I decided I'd try to go "the long way" home
more often to add to the miles.

Well so much for "try". I didn't.

But a new year has started. The ice bikes are primed and
ready, and the new annual miles will begin anew...as soon
as I refresh the computer batteries, find my lobster claw
gloves and balaclava, and the temperature warms up a bit
more above the predicted 0's for the remainder of this week.

SMH

smn
January 2nd 08, 04:51 PM
"Patrick Lamb" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 07:30:47 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
> > wrote:
>>In 2007, I bicycled an estimated 3925 miles. I did so based when I had a
>>part time work schedule through most of the year, and throughout the best
>>bicycling weather of the year.
>>
>>I was invited to participate in a 5000 mile goal for 2008, but I don't
>>think
>>it's realistic. I don't want to set goals that I can not make. 4000 would
>>be
>>more than this year - it is both doable and still a stretch.
>
> (SNIP!)
>
> As an aside, it also doesn't make sense to push too hard. I'll be
> shooting for 5,000 this year, and should be able to make it based on
> commuting (new job last fall moved out a bit). That will also take
> some pressure off from my wife, who believes I'm obsessed with
> cycling.
>
>>I am logging these miles through 43things
>>(http://www.43things.com/things/view/1825063/bicycle-4000-miles-in-2008).
>>If
>>you are interested in participating in this goal as a team on that site
>>(of
>>course, you can set your own monthly subgoals), let me know, and I'll
>>issue
>>you an invitation.
>
> I'll continue to jot down trip mileage in a desk calendar, but I'm too
> shy to put it on line. And to cut down on the obsession part, I'll
> try not to put everything in a spreadsheet until the end of the year.
>
> Or at least the end of the month.
>
> Would you believe once a week?
>
> Pat
>
> Email address works as is.

maybe it's time for all of us to buy rollers to make our goals if biking is
where you'd rather be in your spare time. Weather, terrain, traffic will
not ruin the ride on those days you would not bother. When it is too hot,
wet or cold I will have no excuse to stay in good health.
Great Idea

Hank Wirtz
January 2nd 08, 07:55 PM
I'm logging on Bikejournal.com (username: Hankamania).

In 2004, I rode 600 miles.

In 2005, I rode 1600.

In 2006, I did 2750.

In 2007, I aimed for 5000, but did 4200.

Goal in 2008 will be 5000 again.

smn
January 2nd 08, 10:57 PM
"nmp" > wrote in message
> smn wrote:
>
>> maybe it's time for all of us to buy rollers to make our goals if biking
>> is where you'd rather be in your spare time. Weather, terrain, traffic
>> will not ruin the ride on those days you would not bother. When it is
>> too hot, wet or cold I will have no excuse to stay in good health. Great
>> Idea
>
> Rollers are boring.

not if you'd rather be cycling outdoors but you can't

I would be watching TV or a video if it was boring

Bruce Gilbert[_3_]
January 3rd 08, 03:12 AM
"smn" > wrote in message

> "nmp" > wrote in message
> > smn wrote:
> >
> >> maybe it's time for all of us to buy rollers to make our goals if
biking
> >> is where you'd rather be in your spare time. Weather, terrain, traffic
> >> will not ruin the ride on those days you would not bother. When it is
> >> too hot, wet or cold I will have no excuse to stay in good health.
Great
> >> Idea
> >
> > Rollers are boring.
>
> not if you'd rather be cycling outdoors but you can't
>
> I would be watching TV or a video if it was boring

2007 was a very down year for me in terms of mileage. There was a lot of
rain, we were on the road, traveling a lot and I stayed sick for a few weeks
during the winter. In all, I rode a puny 5,600 miles, with not a single race
mile all year. EECCHHH...

This year I think it is going to be a lot better. Tonight we did the first
VO2 workout and I seem to be responding correctly. Tomorrow we'll see about
recovery...

During the winters we do an awful lot of trainer workouts. It is a matter of
convenience, along with the fact that there is a nucleus of friends that are
always ready to do the workouts. We usually do the sessions in the evenings,
with three or more folks. It really seems to help. Some of the workouts are
seriously painful and the joking around and banter helps a lot.

I have always heard people talk how boring trainer sessions are. I wonder if
it is because there is no growth program or performance goals in place.
Racers know that there are certain periods of the season that they have to
be in a certain form for. That makes a training program easier to plan and
manage. For the fitness rider or enthusiast, it may be a different story. It
could get a bit aimless. Here is a suggestion: Do a fitness check in the
form of a 5K or 10K time trial. It could be a great way to gauge your
progress. Use the first decent riding opportunity to establish a baseline
for your time. Then look for progress as you do incremental time trials as
the spring approaches. That way, the winter training will not be an aimless
drudgery...

Bruce

ZBicyclist
January 4th 08, 12:45 AM
wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2:58 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if modern digital technology has rendered us
>> too quantitative at the expense of the qualitative?
>
> I'll argue this point as soon as I come up with a counter. (May be a
> while.)

Pat, if you need a counter, doesn't that prove Tom's point? ;)

--
Mike Kruger
Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

Mike A Schwab
January 4th 08, 07:36 PM
On Jan 2, 2:58 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article >,
> Patrick Lamb > writes:
>
> > I'll continue to jot down trip mileage in a desk calendar, but I'm too
> > shy to put it on line. And to cut down on the obsession part, I'll
> > try not to put everything in a spreadsheet until the end of the year.
>
> > Or at least the end of the month.
>
> > Would you believe once a week?
>
> I wonder if modern digital technology has rendered us
> too quantitative at the expense of the qualitative?
>
> I respectfully suggest documenting your rides with
> snapshots, or better yet -- colour slides. By all
> means, document your experiences and impressions
> around the pix.
>
> A home slide show complete with good company, hors
> d'ouvres and various refreshments is thoroughly
> enjoyable. Much more so than a bunch of dry numbers
> on the cycling equivalent to a ledger that you'll
> scarcely look at, anyway. Maybe your wife might
> even begin to understand your joie de velo.
>
> Some appropriate b/g music to underscore your
> running narration, and it's beautiful.
>
> I should heed my own advice.
>
> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> I'm really at:
> tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

http://www.liquidimageco.com/home/specs.html is skiing / icebiking /
diving goggles with a built in digital camera with video mode.

SlowRider
January 7th 08, 03:39 PM
On Jan 2, 1:58 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
> I wonder if modern digital technology has rendered us
> too quantitative at the expense of the qualitative?

That's going to depend on the person and on how you define 'quality'.
Sometimes you have to be quantitative before you can achieve quality.
For example, before you can relax and enjoy stunning views along a
mountainous century ride, you may spend a month or two training with
numbers to ensure you can do 100 miles comfortably.

Then there are folks like me who derive pleasure from studying numbers
anyway. And when there's no way to ride outside, numbers are
sometimes all you've got to keep yourself sane on a trainer.

- JR

Ron Wallenfang
January 8th 08, 03:38 AM
My 2007 total was 16,689 miles, which is my lowest total since 1995.
I hope to rebound to over 18,000 again in 2008

I started keeping daily records March 1, 1993 and have 266,011 miles
from then to 12-31-07.

Here are some 2007 stats:

No riding on 9/23, first day of a trip to Europe and I couldn't get my
hands on a bike. That broke a streak of a little over 2 years with no
zero mileage days.

Coldest temperature was -14F on Feb. 5. There were 7 below 0F days in
all. Hottest temperature was 104F in W. Wendover NV on Aug. 14.

10 flat tires, on 3/10 and 22, 4/21, 5/7, 22, 24 and 25, 6/17, and
8/11 and 17. I had a good streak going after that with my Schwalbe
Marathon Plus tires (almost 7000 miles with 2 flats); streak broken on
1/1/08, albeit not the fault of the tire [the flange on the wheel
broke, blowing out the tire]

12 days that I recorded getting wet; probably somewhat more than that
in truth, but in recent years, I've gotten wimpier about driving to
work in bad weather and just making it a point to get some bike miles
logged in the course of the day. That's one reason my mileage has
declined.

Most mileage was in Wisconsin, except as follows:

Tennessee -37
Illinois - 138
Florida - 494
England - 29