PDA

View Full Version : Proposed New Edition of MUTCD Published For Review

Richard C. Moeur, PE
January 3rd 08, 12:29 AM
Proposed New Edition of MUTCD Published For Review

This morning (02 January 2008), the Federal Register*
contained a notice announcing a proposed new edition of*
the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD),
the national standard for all signs, signals, markings,
and other devices used to control traffic in the US -
including bicyclists operating on roads, streets, and paths.

FHWA has placed the proposed content for the new edition*
of the MUTCD up on their website at*
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/proposed_amend/index.htm*
for public review and comment.*

However, the manner in which this information is presented*
by FHWA might be a bit unwieldy, especially if one is*
interested in looking at one specific part of the Manual.*
*
So what I've done is chopped up and rearranged the draft*
material a bit, and grouped it by MUTCD Part.*
*
Each file contains (by Part):*
*
- Proposed new MUTCD text, in "plain" format (no revisions shown)*
- Proposed new MUTCD text, with additions, revisions, and strikeouts
shown*
- Proposed new tables*
- Proposed new figures*
*
I've tried to preserve the original page numbering, and*
bookmarks are provided for easy navigation.*
*
For right now, I've put these files on my*
www.trafficsign.us website at*
http://www.trafficsign.us/npa.html
*
This webpage also has tips on posting comments to the*
docket and other useful info. Feel free to redistribute or*
forward as needed.*

Part 9 of the MUTCD is the section that deals specifically
with bicycle facilities, although all the other Parts do
affect bicyclists to varying degrees. New items proposed
for Part 9 include:

- Mode-Specific signs for skaters & other users
- Revised numbered bicycle route marker signs & plaques
- Reference Location Signs (Mileposts) for paths
- Bicycle-specific direction & distance signing
- Revision of Use of Bike Lane Signs
- Shared Lane Markings
- Bikes May Use Full Lane regulatory signs

One more thing: references and citations to relevant research
or studies can help increase the credibility of*individual or
organizational comments.*
*
The docket number is 28977, and comments are accepted at*
www.regulations.gov until Thursday, 31 July 2008.
Let the rulemaking fun begin!*

--*
Richard C. Moeur, PE*
Chair, Bicycle Technical Committee*
National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (NCUTCD)

Matt O'Toole
January 3rd 08, 03:54 AM
Thanks Richard!

Matt O.