PDA

View Full Version : hip replacement --and cycling

ilaboo[_2_]
January 6th 08, 09:59 PM
i probably will need a total hip replacement ( one side) in the next 2
years.

i ride a mtb rather aggresively ( 68 years old)

if you have a hip replacement could you let me know what effect it has had
on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
and what precautions you take while biking?
super thanks
peter

Leo Lichtman
January 7th 08, 12:57 AM
"ilaboo" wrote: (clip) if you have a hip replacement could you let me know
what effect it has had
> on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
> and what precautions you take while biking? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I stopped riding a number of years ago because of the pain in my hip. After
the surgery, I was back on the bike within a few months. You have to heed a
mixed message. Riding helps you recover. However, my surgeon warned me
that if I fell and broke my hip, my life would never be the same again. So,
at first I was pretty nervous, but I don't even think about the hip any
more. I recommend that you start riding smoother trails at first, and
extend yourself gradually, without overextending yourself. If you feel
yourself falling to the bad side, try to fall on your shoulder. I have done
this a few times, and my hip is still fine. I stay off the really rough
stuff, especially where my replacement hip is on the downhill side. (I'll
be 80 in a few days.)

See whether you are a candidate for minimally invasive surgery. You'll be
back on your feet sooner and need fewer pain pills. Unfortunately, for
technical reasons, I had to do it the old fashioned way.

ilaboo[_2_]
January 7th 08, 02:07 AM
">
leo
i super apprciate your comments--if i need a replacement my plans are to
continue swimming and really moderate my cycling--i hve had a good life with
no regrets

once agin thank you

pter

SlowRider
January 7th 08, 03:20 PM
On Jan 6, 5:57 pm, "Leo Lichtman" > wrote:
> this a few times, and my hip is still fine. I stay off the really rough
> stuff, especially where my replacement hip is on the downhill side. (I'll
> be 80 in a few days.)

You guys are inspiring! As I near 50, I sometimes wonder how many
years of cycling I've got left. If I'm still pedaling over rough
trails when I'm 80, I'll be one happy person.

- JR

ilaboo[_2_]
January 7th 08, 04:22 PM
> You guys are inspiring! As I near 50, I sometimes wonder how many
> years of cycling I've got left. If I'm still pedaling over rough
> trails when I'm 80, I'll be one happy person.

all i can say is watch the wear and tear on your knees and above all keep
your weight down--listen very careful to what your body is telling you--also
do not work your way thru pain
hth

peter

Andrew Price
January 7th 08, 09:10 PM
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:22:08 GMT, "ilaboo" >
wrote:

>> You guys are inspiring! As I near 50, I sometimes wonder how many
>> years of cycling I've got left. If I'm still pedaling over rough
>> trails when I'm 80, I'll be one happy person.

Yes, Leo is indeed an inspiration - and quite apart from the fact that
he's nearly eighty, he talks a lot of good sense. I read all his
posts.

>all i can say is watch the wear and tear on your knees

Indeed - they are also, like hip joints, a "consumable" item.

Mike McGuire[_2_]
January 7th 08, 10:02 PM
ilaboo wrote:
> i probably will need a total hip replacement ( one side) in the next 2
> years.
>
> i ride a mtb rather aggresively ( 68 years old)
>
> if you have a hip replacement could you let me know what effect it has had
> on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
> and what precautions you take while biking?
> super thanks
> peter

I had one done 8 years ago when I was 54. I did a lot of research and
ended up going for a newer type of replacement call surface replacement
which is a better deal for an active person. See
http://www.surfacehippy.info/

Two months after surgery I started in on the physical therapy. The first
thing that happened in the first PT session was that I was told to get
on the exercise bike and warm up for 15 minutes. Obvious question then
was "Hey can I get back on my regular bike?" Answer: "Yes, just don't
overdo it." I don't take any particular precautions beyond what anyone
my age, hip problem or not, would take.

Mike McGuire

January 8th 08, 12:02 AM
On Jan 6, 7:57 pm, "Leo Lichtman" > wrote:
> (I'll be 80 in a few days.)

Hey! Happy birthday, Leo!

- Frank Krygowski

Ted
January 8th 08, 03:31 AM
It is not exactly what you are planning, but read this weeks
RoadBikeRider.com newsletter, Issue No. 324 - 01/03/08. Ed broke his
hip last summer and is still not on the bike, but Jim hasn't missed at
least one hour per day since 1993. And don't forget about Floyd; he
finished 2nd is a very tough race last summer, apparently partly
because of a flat tire.

Good luck. Pedaling is good for the hip, just stay upright.

Ted.

Zoot Katz
January 8th 08, 04:54 AM
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:02:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>On Jan 6, 7:57 pm, "Leo Lichtman" > wrote:
>> (I'll be 80 in a few days.)
>
>Hey! Happy birthday, Leo!

An eightieth anniversary is one event in life worth training for.

A HRM gifted to me disclosed my resting heart rate is the range of a
19 - 25 year old athlete's.

Bicycling adds life to ones enjoyment and vice versa.

Ride on, Leo. You're an inspiration to all of us still coming up
through the ranks.
--
zk

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 9th 08, 01:41 AM
ilaboo aka Peter Lener wrote:
> i probably will need a total hip replacement ( one side) in the next 2
> years....

I have never been hip, so a replacement is not possible.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 9th 08, 01:42 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "ilaboo" wrote: (clip) if you have a hip replacement could you let me know
> what effect it has had
>> on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
>> and what precautions you take while biking? (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I stopped riding a number of years ago because of the pain in my hip. After
> the surgery, I was back on the bike within a few months. You have to heed a
> mixed message. Riding helps you recover. However, my surgeon warned me
> that if I fell and broke my hip, my life would never be the same again....

Google "recumbent trike".

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

JimmyMac
January 11th 08, 03:17 PM
On Jan 8, 7:42 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> Leo Lichtman wrote:
> > "ilaboo" wrote: (clip) if you have a hip replacement could you let me know
> > what effect it has had
> >> on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
> >> and what precautions you take while biking? (clip)
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > I stopped riding a number of years ago because of the pain in my hip. After
> > the surgery, I was back on the bike within a few months. You have to heed a
> > mixed message. Riding helps you recover. However, my surgeon warned me
> > that if I fell and broke my hip, my life would never be the same again....
>
> Google "recumbent trike".
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

My wife has a friend whose mother has had both hips and both knees
replaced and she rides a conventional upright. Artificial joints
reduce the range of motion somewhat, but apparently not significantly
enough to curtail riding a bicycle. - Jim McNamara

Ozark Bicycle
January 11th 08, 05:15 PM
On Jan 7, 9:31*pm, Ted > wrote:
> It is not exactly what you are planning, but read this weeks
> RoadBikeRider.com newsletter, Issue No. 324 - 01/03/08. *Ed broke his
> hip last summer and is still not on the bike,

For those who don't see the RBR.com newsletter, Ed Pavelka had some
unfortunate complications following his December hip replacement
surgery.

> but Jim hasn't missed at
> least one hour per day since 1993. *And don't forget about Floyd; he
> finished 2nd is a very tough race last summer, apparently partly
> because of a flat tire.
>
> Good luck. *Pedaling is good for the hip, just stay upright.
>
> Ted.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 11th 08, 11:19 PM
JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara wrote:
> On Jan 8, 7:42 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>>> "ilaboo" wrote: (clip) if you have a hip replacement could you let me know
>>> what effect it has had
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> I stopped riding a number of years ago because of the pain in my hip. After
>>> the surgery, I was back on the bike within a few months. You have to heed a
>>> mixed message. Riding helps you recover. However, my surgeon warned me
>>> that if I fell and broke my hip, my life would never be the same again....
>> Google "recumbent trike".
>>
> My wife has a friend whose mother has had both hips and both knees
> replaced and she rides a conventional upright. Artificial joints
> reduce the range of motion somewhat, but apparently not significantly
> enough to curtail riding a bicycle. - Jim McNamara

Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon told him that
breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. Falling and breaking
a hip on a conventional upright is a lot more likely than if the same
rider was on a recumbent trike.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

JimmyMac
January 12th 08, 12:36 AM
On Jan 11, 5:19 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara wrote:
>

> > On Jan 8, 7:42 pm, Tom Sherman >
> > wrote:
> >> Google "recumbent trike".
>
> > My wife has a friend whose mother has had both hips and both knees
> > replaced and she rides a conventional upright. Artificial joints
> > reduce the range of motion somewhat, but apparently not significantly
> > enough to curtail riding a bicycle. - Jim McNamara
>
> Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon told him that
> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. Falling and breaking
> a hip on a conventional upright is a lot more likely than if the same
> rider was on a recumbent trike.

No arguments there. That's a given, for sure. I was merely
addressing ilaboo's initial concern/question.

> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Leo Lichtman
January 12th 08, 12:38 AM
"Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon
told him that
> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on to say
that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in fear of
such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you swap the
possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say a word
about recumbents.)

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 12th 08, 01:36 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon
> told him that
>> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on to say
> that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in fear of
> such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you swap the
> possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say a word
> about recumbents.)

Recumbent trikes are NOT boring. A low tadpole is like a pedal powered
go-cart. :)

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

gotbent[_3_]
January 12th 08, 01:48 AM
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

> "Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon
> told him that
>> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on to
> say that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in
> fear of such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you swap
> the possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say a
> word about recumbents.)

You might ask your doctor about safe hip, leg, trunk angles as getting in
and out of some recumbent trikes takes a bit of doing. The tadpoles (two
wheels in front) are generally llow, in the range of eight or ten inches.
The lower trikes have good stability when cornering. The delta style (one
wheel front and two in back) are generally higher and a bit more tippy when
cornering.

A recumbent trike can be an invigorating thing to ride.

The Troll Feeder
January 12th 08, 03:03 AM
On Jan 11, 6:35 pm, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
> "Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

> > "Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon
> > told him that
> >> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. (clip)
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on to
> > say that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in
> > fear of such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you swap
> > the possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say a
> > word about recumbents.)
>
> On the other hand, if you don't rein yourself in you are subject to all
> kinds of vicissitudes, even death itself. All of my life I have been reading
> books about fools who took risks for the sake of adventure and end up as
> dead as mackerels.
>
> And what is wrong with a little boredom in life anyway? I say give me
> boredom any old day to an early death. Only fools want to burn the candle at
> both ends. Nay, I like to settle down to a good night's viewing of whatever
> is on TV. This guarantees lots of good old fashion boredom.
>
> When I really like to be bored out of my skull I tune into MSNBC or CNN and
> follow all the liberal commentators. Chris Matthews of MSNBC is without a
> doubt the biggest jackass and all around asshole in the entire universe. My
> God, this fool has even turned on Hillary and has fallen in love with Barack
> Hussein Obama! Folks, it doesn't get any better than this!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

The Troll Feeder
January 12th 08, 03:06 AM
On Jan 11, 6:35 pm, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
> "Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

> > "Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon
> > told him that
> >> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. (clip)
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on to
> > say that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in
> > fear of such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you swap
> > the possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say a
> > word about recumbents.)
>
> On the other hand, if you don't rein yourself in you are subject to all
> kinds of vicissitudes, even death itself. All of my life I have been reading
> books about fools who took risks for the sake of adventure and end up as
> dead as mackerels.
>
> And what is wrong with a little boredom in life anyway? I say give me
> boredom any old day to an early death. Only fools want to burn the candle at
> both ends. Nay, I like to settle down to a good night's viewing of whatever
> is on TV. This guarantees lots of good old fashion boredom.
>
> When I really like to be bored out of my skull I tune into MSNBC or CNN and
> follow all the liberal commentators. Chris Matthews of MSNBC is without a
> doubt the biggest jackass and all around asshole in the entire universe. My
> God, this fool has even turned on Hillary and has fallen in love with Barack
> Hussein Obama! Folks, it doesn't get any better than this!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

First!

--
THE Troll Feeder

Beating other troll feeders to the trowel since 2008.

Zebee Johnstone
January 12th 08, 07:15 AM
In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:48:50 -0600
gotbent > wrote:
> You might ask your doctor about safe hip, leg, trunk angles as getting in
> and out of some recumbent trikes takes a bit of doing. The tadpoles (two
> wheels in front) are generally llow, in the range of eight or ten inches.
> The lower trikes have good stability when cornering. The delta style (one
> wheel front and two in back) are generally higher and a bit more tippy when
> cornering.

The Greenspeed Anura doesn't seem to have a rep for being tippy. And
it's higher than other Greenspeeds, so easier to get in and out of.

Zebee

Wilson Warmouth[_10_]
January 12th 08, 01:04 PM
"The Troll Feeder" > wrote in message
> On Jan 11, 6:35 pm, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
>> "Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

>> > "Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the
>> > surgeon
>> > told him that
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on
>> > say that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in
>> > fear of such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you
>> > swap
>> > the possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say
>> > word about recumbents.)
>>
>> On the other hand, if you don't rein yourself in you are subject to all
>> kinds of vicissitudes, even death itself. All of my life I have been
>> reading
>> books about fools who took risks for the sake of adventure and end up as
>> dead as mackerels.
>>
>> And what is wrong with a little boredom in life anyway? I say give me
>> boredom any old day to an early death. Only fools want to burn the candle
>> at
>> both ends. Nay, I like to settle down to a good night's viewing of
>> whatever
>> is on TV. This guarantees lots of good old fashion boredom.
>>
>> When I really like to be bored out of my skull I tune into MSNBC or CNN
>> and
>> follow all the liberal commentators. Chris Matthews of MSNBC is without a
>> doubt the biggest jackass and all around asshole in the entire universe.
>> My
>> God, this fool has even turned on Hillary and has fallen in love with
>> Barack
>> Hussein Obama! Folks, it doesn't get any better than this!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>> aka
>> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
>
> First!
>
> --
> THE Troll Feeder
>
> Beating other troll feeders to the trowel since 2008.

Yeah, but it took you two attempts to get it done. Shows a bit of
ineptitude on your part don't you think?

Practice, practice, practice.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home