PDA

View Full Version : Join Team Performance a good buy?

January 10th 08, 04:09 PM
For $25 a year I can join "Team Performance" and get a
one year subscription to Bicycling Mag, 10% discount on
items, etc.

Anyone join it and feel its worth $25?

see link

http://www.performancebike.com/team_p.cfm

Just A User
January 10th 08, 04:18 PM
wrote:
> For $25 a year I can join "Team Performance" and get a
> one year subscription to Bicycling Mag, 10% discount on
> items, etc.
>
> Anyone join it and feel its worth $25?
>
> see link
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/team_p.cfm

Well it might be worth it if you like 'Bicycling' or should I say
"Buycycling" magazine. And if you buy lots of stuff from Performance. If
you are mostly set on cycling stuff and just need the occasional chain
or tires or bottle of lube it probably wouldn't be worth it. I get
emails to join 'Team Performance' as well, I still haven't joined yet.
Maybe if they sold more recumbent stuff.

January 10th 08, 04:33 PM
Michael Johnson > wrote:

>Depends on how much money you spend at Performance annually. Personally,
>I spend enough that I get my $25 worth in points, plus the convenience
>of rapid shipping.
>
>After you spend the first $250, the rest is gravy. So if you spend that
>much there, go ahead and join. It doesn't take long to rack that much up
>in clothing and parts.

OK.... well I've been OUT of cycling many many years
but intend on getting back into this spring for health
and recreation reasons.

I was thinking abt buying a Pearl Izumi wind vest on
sale right now..... do you know if the 10% discount
counts towards sale items as well?

January 10th 08, 04:40 PM
On Jan 10, 10:09*am, wrote:
> For $25 a year I can join "Team Performance" and get a
> one year subscription to Bicycling Mag, 10% discount on
> items, etc.
>
> Anyone join it and feel its worth $25?
>
> see link
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/team_p.cfm

I am a team performance member, and it makes financial sense for me. I
commute year round in Chicago, so there is always something I need.
They have a new retail store in my town, so that is convenient. I have
used the 'ship to store' service, which means you don't pay for
shipping, even if you need to return something.

I don't know anything about the magazine.

J.

Fuse
January 10th 08, 05:00 PM
> wrote in message
> Michael Johnson > wrote:
>
>>Depends on how much money you spend at Performance annually. Personally,
>>I spend enough that I get my $25 worth in points, plus the convenience
>>of rapid shipping.
>>
>>After you spend the first $250, the rest is gravy. So if you spend that
>>much there, go ahead and join. It doesn't take long to rack that much up
>>in clothing and parts.
>
> OK.... well I've been OUT of cycling many many years
> but intend on getting back into this spring for health
> and recreation reasons.
>
> I was thinking abt buying a Pearl Izumi wind vest on
> sale right now..... do you know if the 10% discount
> counts towards sale items as well?

It is more than the 10%. You get the magazine which is worth something.
You get the second day shipping. You get opportunities to save more with
member only sales. There are times where you might get 20% on top of the
10%. I joined this year and absolutely killed the $25. the shipping is
worth $4 an order. give the magazine a value of $10 and order twice that
makes $18 in savings. You would have to order $70 worth to get back to the
$25. IMO it is a good deal.

Andy

Matt O'Toole
January 10th 08, 06:02 PM
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:09:27 -0600, me wrote:

> For $25 a year I can join "Team Performance" and get a one year
> subscription to Bicycling Mag, 10% discount on items, etc.
>
> Anyone join it and feel its worth $25?
>
> see link
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/team_p.cfm

If you spend more than $250 a year there it is.

Matt O.

SMS
January 10th 08, 07:27 PM
wrote:
> For $25 a year I can join "Team Performance" and get a
> one year subscription to Bicycling Mag, 10% discount on
> items, etc.
>
> Anyone join it and feel its worth $25?
>
> see link
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/team_p.cfm

It depends on how much you spend there of course. A relative bought a
bicycle there for $250 with my account, and that paid for the
membership. I bought a quad hitch rack there for another $180. I've
bought other stuff there too, they have a very good tire selection at
low prices. The big attraction is that the stores have long hours, and a
good selection of inexpensive clothing, something that the LBS lacks.

They give you a subscription to Bicycling, which no self-respecting
cyclist would want to read, but you can cancel it by calling the
magazine. I was surprised to receive a refund check for about $7 from
the magazine a few weeks after I canceled the subscription, so the
break-even point is really about $180, not $250.

SMS
January 10th 08, 07:29 PM
Fuse wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Michael Johnson > wrote:
>>
>>> Depends on how much money you spend at Performance annually. Personally,
>>> I spend enough that I get my $25 worth in points, plus the convenience
>>> of rapid shipping.
>>>
>>> After you spend the first $250, the rest is gravy. So if you spend that
>>> much there, go ahead and join. It doesn't take long to rack that much up
>>> in clothing and parts.
>> OK.... well I've been OUT of cycling many many years
>> but intend on getting back into this spring for health
>> and recreation reasons.
>>
>> I was thinking abt buying a Pearl Izumi wind vest on
>> sale right now..... do you know if the 10% discount
>> counts towards sale items as well?
>
> It is more than the 10%. You get the magazine which is worth something.

That's highly debatable.

If you call the magazine and cancel the magazine subscription you'll get
a check sent to you for remaining issues. They don't publicize this. I
didn't expect to get any money, I just didn't want the magazine. I got
about $7 back. Better than more paper for the recycling bin.

January 10th 08, 07:31 PM
"Bill Sornson" > wrote:

>I used to be a member when it cost $20, and it was a very good deal. I quit
>this year because I thought I'd bought pretty much every thing I'll need for
>quite a while, at least from Performance.

OK

Anyway to join WITHOUT the automatic renewal each year
tho?

It says on their ad that they will automatically renew
the membership using my credit card each year.... not
sure I like that.

January 10th 08, 08:50 PM
On Jan 10, 1:31*pm, wrote:
> "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> >I used to be a member when it cost $20, and it was a very good deal. *I quit
> >this year because I thought I'd bought pretty much every thing I'll need for
> >quite a while, at least from Performance.
>
> OK
>
> Anyway to join WITHOUT the automatic renewal each year
> tho?
>
> It says on their ad that they will automatically renew
> the membership using my credit card each year.... not
> sure I like that.

I don't know how this particular membership works, but years ago I
worked for a company that had various automatically renewing yearly
memberships. It was impossible to sign someone up, and have their
membership not renew automatically. It was not a feature of the
enrollment software. We knew that a certain small percentage of the
membership does not look at their credit card statements carefully,
especially for relatively small amounts like $25. Also, when someone
calls to cancel the upcoming year, we had customer service reps
specifically trained to 'save' that membership (convince the caller to
keep the membership). You might be surprised how difficult it is for
some people to say 'absolutely NO and that is FINAL' in a no nonsense
tone of voice.

J.

Ozark Bicycle
January 10th 08, 11:30 PM
On Jan 10, 10:40*am, " > wrote:
> On Jan 10, 10:09*am, wrote:> For $25 a year I can join "Team Performance" and get a
> > one year subscription to Bicycling Mag, 10% discount on
> > items, etc.
>
> > Anyone join it and feel its worth $25?
>
> > see link
>
> >http://www.performancebike.com/team_p.cfm
>
> I am a team performance member, and it makes financial sense for me. I
> commute year round in Chicago, so there is always something I need.
> They have a new retail store in my town, so that is convenient. I have
> used the 'ship to store' service, which means you don't pay for
> shipping, even if you need to return something.
>
> I don't know anything about the magazine.

That magazine is not as soft as Charmin.

Ozark Bicycle
January 10th 08, 11:34 PM
On Jan 10, 11:00*am, "Fuse" <andydothahaatnoway.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> It is more than the 10%. *You get the magazine [Buycycling] which is worth something.

Apparently, you might be able to get a small ($7?) 'refund' if you
cancel the subscription to Buycycling. So, it's worth around $7 if you
do that. Otherwise, it's totally worthless, IMO.

> You get the second day shipping. *You get opportunities to save more with
> member only sales. *There are times where you might get 20% on top of the
> 10%. *I joined this year and absolutely killed the $25. *the shipping is
> worth $4 an order. *give the magazine a value of $10 and order twice that
> makes $18 in savings. *You would have to order $70 worth to get back to the
> $25. *IMO it is a good deal.
>
> Andy

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 11th 08, 03:02 AM
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Jan 10, 11:00 am, "Fuse" <andydothahaatnoway.com> wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
>> It is more than the 10%. You get the magazine [Buycycling] which is worth something.
>
> Apparently, you might be able to get a small ($7?) 'refund' if you
> cancel the subscription to Buycycling. So, it's worth around $7 if you
> do that. Otherwise, it's totally worthless, IMO.

Bird cage lining? Kindling?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Ozark Bicycle
January 11th 08, 11:57 AM
On Jan 10, 9:02*pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > On Jan 10, 11:00 am, "Fuse" <andydothahaatnoway.com> wrote:
>
> > <snipped>
>
> >> It is more than the 10%. *You get the magazine [Buycycling] which is worth something.
>
> > Apparently, you might be able to get a small ($7?) 'refund' if you
> > cancel the subscription to Buycycling. So, it's worth around $7 if you
> > do that. Otherwise, it's totally worthless, IMO.
>
> Bird cage lining?

Each page is so heavily infused with crap I doubt it could absorb
more.

> Kindling?

I'd worry about toxic fumes?

Once upon a time, that mag had some very good people, including Frank
Berto, Jim Langley, Fred Matheny, Ed Pavelka and Jim Redcay. Now, it
has devolved in a morass of utter crap. Sad.

Hank
January 11th 08, 03:46 PM
On Jan 10, 8:09*am, wrote:
> For $25 a year I can join "Team Performance" and get a
> one year subscription to Bicycling Mag, 10% discount on
> items, etc.
>
> Anyone join it and feel its worth $25?
>
> see link
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/team_p.cfm

Like others have said, my membership has paid for itself many times
over. Fortunately for me, there's a retail store about 2 miles from
work, so the lunchtime trip to stock up on tubes or chains is fairly
common.

January 11th 08, 09:27 PM
On Jan 10, 11:09 am, wrote:
> For $25 a year I can join "Team Performance" and get a
> one year subscription to Bicycling Mag, 10% discount on
> items, etc.
>
> Anyone join it and feel its worth $25?
>
> see link
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/team_p.cfm

they are constantly running promortions, plus there are other website
that will give you better prices in the first place. check ebay.com,
bikingthings.com, bikemania.biz
carlos

Patrick Lamb
January 13th 08, 03:51 AM
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:31:51 -0600, wrote:
>Anyway to join WITHOUT the automatic renewal each year
>tho?
>
>It says on their ad that they will automatically renew
>the membership using my credit card each year.... not
>sure I like that.

My favorite stunt is to use a credit card that's expiring before the
renewal. You may have to fend off a couple emails, but if you don't
want to renew, you just don't send them a new expiration date.

Back to the original question. I've more or less made peace with TP.
I renew with TP points, and it gets me free upgraded shipping.
Compared to the way Performance miraculously slowed down regular
shipping from Nashbar since they bought them out, I figure that's
required if I'm going to get an order before I forget why that charge
is on my credit card bill.

But if I don't spend another $80 at Performance before next fall, I
won't renew...

Pat
Email address works as is.

Google