PDA

View Full Version : new cannondale f7

mike smith
January 12th 08, 09:47 PM
don't know if this is the right group to post this or not as it is
not a post of free Niki shoes or new shirts but here goes.
i went bike shopping today and saw a new cannondale f7 being a
computer type of guy i came home and checked to see if there were any
reviews on the web.
has anyone out there seen or better yet owns one of these?? if so wat
do you think?

Thanks in advance Mike S..

di
January 12th 08, 10:11 PM
"mike smith" > wrote in message
> don't know if this is the right group to post this or not as it is
> not a post of free Niki shoes or new shirts but here goes.
> i went bike shopping today and saw a new cannondale f7 being a
> computer type of guy i came home and checked to see if there were any
> reviews on the web.
> has anyone out there seen or better yet owns one of these?? if so wat
> do you think?
>
> Thanks in advance Mike S..

You can't go wrong with a Cannondale, I own 4 of them, 3 mountain bikes and
1 road bike,

Peter Howard
January 13th 08, 04:22 AM
"mike smith" > wrote in message
> don't know if this is the right group to post this or not as it is
> not a post of free Niki shoes or new shirts but here goes.
> i went bike shopping today and saw a new cannondale f7 being a
> computer type of guy i came home and checked to see if there were any
> reviews on the web.
> has anyone out there seen or better yet owns one of these?? if so wat
> do you think?
>
> Thanks in advance Mike S..

I have one, a patriot blue disc brake version. Despite Cannondale wrapping
themselves in the stars and stripes, their bikes aren't all lovingly
handmade by American craftsman in Bedford, Pennsylvania. The frames of
cheaper models such as the F7 are lovingly crafted in a factory somewhere in
Taiwan and the complete bikes are probably assembled there too, a fact which
is skated over lightly on the Cannondale website. The Taiwanese do make good
products but don't let a vision of supporting American working men influence
your decision.

That said, the F7 is a pretty good bike but it shows some compromises in
component selection to meet a price point. Mine came with a Shimano Alivio
M311 crankset which has rivetted steel chainrings. That means that you
replace the whole crankset when a chainring wears or gets damaged. On mine
at least, the bottom bracket set was a cheapo RPM brand cartridge. I had a
good ebay find of a better Shimano Deore Octalink crankset which,
incidentally had a 44 tooth largest chainring versus 42 on the M311. That
gave me slightly better top end for higher speed work. Be aware that if you
keep and ride the bike for any length of time you will eventually have to
upgrade the crankset. How soon depends on the use and how scrupulous you are
about watching chain wear.

I found the 24 speed drivetrain quite adequate and the integrated Shimano
trigger shifter/brake lever assemblies look very tidy and shift easily and
accurately.

Mine came with an SDG BelAir saddle which looks and works very nicely
indeed.

The rims on my disc brake version are WTB 32 holers which haven't broken
yet. The disc brakes are Shimano mechanical and the hubs are Shimano. If I
ever decide I don't like discs I'm outta luck because the frame and fork
don't sport alternative rim brake bosses and the wheels don't have rim brake
surfaces. The frame did have tapped eyelets for fitting a cheapo alloy carry
rack which was nice.

For it's intended use, it's good for the price and the only disappointment
is the down-market crankset/bottom bracket.

PH

Ryan Cousineau
January 13th 08, 05:33 AM
In article
mike smith > wrote:

> don't know if this is the right group to post this or not as it is
> not a post of free Niki shoes or new shirts but here goes.
> i went bike shopping today and saw a new cannondale f7 being a
> computer type of guy i came home and checked to see if there were any
> reviews on the web.
> has anyone out there seen or better yet owns one of these?? if so wat
> do you think?
>
> Thanks in advance Mike S..

What's your intended use?

It's a cheap and cheerful entry-level mountain bike. It probably won't
break; the shock spec is pretty low end. The components are cheap, but
not irredeemably so.

Weight difference between the F4 and the F7 is 3 pounds. At 30.7 pounts,
the F7 is portly, but not a horror. The very lightest hardtails hit the
20-pound mark, and some of those do so for less than $2000:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_team_07instock.htm

That is a very light bike with a very light fork.

The F7's frame seems pretty decent, which means upgrading the bike
wouldn't be a waste.

For mountain biking, I'd say something like the F7 is about the least
bicycle I'd take out onto the trails. Well, I did take a cyclocross bike
onto the trails today, that was only a so-so idea...

For commuting, I think this is the incorrect choice. I'd go for
something simple, fendered, and rigid like a KHS Urban-X:

http://khsbicycles.com/06_urban_x_08.htm

Used mountain bikes are . . . complicated.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

mike smith
January 13th 08, 05:56 PM
On Jan 13, 12:33 am, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> mike smith > wrote:
>
> > don't know if this is the right group to post this or not as it is
> > not a post of free Niki shoes or new shirts but here goes.
> > i went bike shopping today and saw a new cannondale f7 being a
> > computer type of guy i came home and checked to see if there were any
> > reviews on the web.
> > has anyone out there seen or better yet owns one of these?? if so wat
> > do you think?
>
> > Thanks in advance Mike S..
>
> What's your intended use?
>
> It's a cheap and cheerful entry-level mountain bike. It probably won't
> break; the shock spec is pretty low end. The components are cheap, but
> not irredeemably so.
>
> Weight difference between the F4 and the F7 is 3 pounds. At 30.7 pounts,
> the F7 is portly, but not a horror. The very lightest hardtails hit the
> 20-pound mark, and some of those do so for less than $2000:
>
> http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_team_07instock.htm
>
> That is a very light bike with a very light fork.
>
> The F7's frame seems pretty decent, which means upgrading the bike
> wouldn't be a waste.
>
> For mountain biking, I'd say something like the F7 is about the least
> bicycle I'd take out onto the trails. Well, I did take a cyclocross bike
> onto the trails today, that was only a so-so idea...
>
> For commuting, I think this is the incorrect choice. I'd go for
> something simple, fendered, and rigid like a KHS Urban-X:
>
> http://khsbicycles.com/06_urban_x_08.htm
>
> Used mountain bikes are . . . complicated.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau /
> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

intended use is more or less trail riding some single track up/down
hill stuff no real rough stuff (I fall alot )
right now I use an older model mongoose full suspesion that is close
on to 35 pounds.
I have a toss up between this one and the trek 4300 disc they both
have all the same components.
either would be an upgrade from my trail ride now which has close on
to 3k on it and is just wearing out.

as for the rode I already have that covered.

Mike S..

Ryan Cousineau
January 14th 08, 01:56 AM
In article
mike smith > wrote:

> On Jan 13, 12:33 am, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > mike smith > wrote:
> >
> > > don't know if this is the right group to post this or not as it is
> > > not a post of free Niki shoes or new shirts but here goes.
> > > i went bike shopping today and saw a new cannondale f7 being a
> > > computer type of guy i came home and checked to see if there were any
> > > reviews on the web.
> > > has anyone out there seen or better yet owns one of these?? if so wat
> > > do you think?
> >
> > > Thanks in advance Mike S..
> >
> > What's your intended use?
> >
> > It's a cheap and cheerful entry-level mountain bike. It probably won't
> > break; the shock spec is pretty low end. The components are cheap, but
> > not irredeemably so.
> >
> > Weight difference between the F4 and the F7 is 3 pounds. At 30.7 pounts,
> > the F7 is portly, but not a horror. The very lightest hardtails hit the
> > 20-pound mark, and some of those do so for less than $2000:
> >
> > http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_team_07instock.htm
> >
> > That is a very light bike with a very light fork.
> >
> > The F7's frame seems pretty decent, which means upgrading the bike
> > wouldn't be a waste.
> >
> > For mountain biking, I'd say something like the F7 is about the least
> > bicycle I'd take out onto the trails. Well, I did take a cyclocross bike
> > onto the trails today, that was only a so-so idea...
> >
> > For commuting, I think this is the incorrect choice. I'd go for
> > something simple, fendered, and rigid like a KHS Urban-X:
> >
> > http://khsbicycles.com/06_urban_x_08.htm
> >
> > Used mountain bikes are . . . complicated.
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Cousineau /
> > "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> > Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
>
> intended use is more or less trail riding some single track up/down
> hill stuff no real rough stuff (I fall alot )
> right now I use an older model mongoose full suspesion that is close
> on to 35 pounds.
> I have a toss up between this one and the trek 4300 disc they both
> have all the same components.
> either would be an upgrade from my trail ride now which has close on
> to 3k on it and is just wearing out.
>
> as for the rode I already have that covered.

Either bike strikes me as about the cheapest machinery I would happily
ride on a light trail. Go for the one sold by the better bike shop, or
the one that seems to fit better.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

mike smith
January 14th 08, 11:22 AM
On Jan 13, 8:56 pm, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> mike smith > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 13, 12:33 am, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > What's your intended use?
>
> > > It's a cheap and cheerful entry-level mountain bike. It probably won't
> > > break; the shock spec is pretty low end. The components are cheap, but
> > > not irredeemably so.
>
> > > Weight difference between the F4 and the F7 is 3 pounds. At 30.7 pounts,
> > > the F7 is portly, but not a horror. The very lightest hardtails hit the
> > > 20-pound mark, and some of those do so for less than $2000:
>
> > >http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_team_07instock.htm
>
> > > That is a very light bike with a very light fork.
>
> > > The F7's frame seems pretty decent, which means upgrading the bike
> > > wouldn't be a waste.
>
> > > For mountain biking, I'd say something like the F7 is about the least
> > > bicycle I'd take out onto the trails. Well, I did take a cyclocross bike
> > > onto the trails today, that was only a so-so idea...
>
> > > For commuting, I think this is the incorrect choice. I'd go for
> > > something simple, fendered, and rigid like a KHS Urban-X:
>
> > >http://khsbicycles.com/06_urban_x_08.htm
>
> > > Used mountain bikes are . . . complicated.
>
> > > --
> > > Ryan Cousineau /
> > > "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> > > Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
>
> > intended use is more or less trail riding some single track up/down
> > hill stuff no real rough stuff (I fall alot )
> > right now I use an older model mongoose full suspesion that is close
> > on to 35 pounds.
> > I have a toss up between this one and the trek 4300 disc they both
> > have all the same components.
> > either would be an upgrade from my trail ride now which has close on
> > to 3k on it and is just wearing out.
>
> > as for the rode I already have that covered.
>
> Either bike strikes me as about the cheapest machinery I would happily
> ride on a light trail. Go for the one sold by the better bike shop, or
> the one that seems to fit better.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau /
> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

thanks for the input as I live and ride in New Jersey we don't have a
lot of killer downhill
which is good on account that I would most likely need to be airlifted
out... :)
I'm kinda leaning to the F7 then the other day I bopped into another
shop and saw a giant yukon.
don't know squat about these either but it did have the dart front
fork and deore rear derailer

thanks Mike S...

Ryan Cousineau
January 14th 08, 06:44 PM
In article
mike smith > wrote:

> On Jan 13, 8:56 pm, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > mike smith > wrote:

> > > intended use is more or less trail riding some single track up/down
> > > hill stuff no real rough stuff (I fall alot )
> > > right now I use an older model mongoose full suspesion that is close
> > > on to 35 pounds.
> > > I have a toss up between this one and the trek 4300 disc they both
> > > have all the same components.
> > > either would be an upgrade from my trail ride now which has close on
> > > to 3k on it and is just wearing out.
> >
> > > as for the rode I already have that covered.
> >
> > Either bike strikes me as about the cheapest machinery I would happily
> > ride on a light trail. Go for the one sold by the better bike shop, or
> > the one that seems to fit better.
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Cousineau /
> > "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> > Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
>
> thanks for the input as I live and ride in New Jersey we don't have a
> lot of killer downhill
> which is good on account that I would most likely need to be airlifted
> out... :)
> I'm kinda leaning to the F7 then the other day I bopped into another
> shop and saw a giant yukon.
> don't know squat about these either but it did have the dart front
> fork and deore rear derailer
>
> thanks Mike S...

On these bikes, the big weak point is probably the front fork. I don't
know much about the current state of mid-cheap forks like these bikes
would have, but suspect they are either crude oil-damper setups (maybe
acceptable) or downright obsolete elastomer designs (ugh).

Again, you may never run into the limitations of these forks, but a more
recent design will simply absorb trail imperfections better, mainly in
aid of better front wheel traction, which equates to not falling down,
or riding faster, or riding some sections instead of walking them.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

mike smith
January 15th 08, 12:39 PM
On Jan 14, 1:44 pm, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> mike smith > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 13, 8:56 pm, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > Either bike strikes me as about the cheapest machinery I would happily
> > > ride on a light trail. Go for the one sold by the better bike shop, or
> > > the one that seems to fit better.
>
> > > --
> > > Ryan Cousineau /
> > > "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> > > Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
>
> > thanks for the input as I live and ride in New Jersey we don't have a
> > lot of killer downhill
> > which is good on account that I would most likely need to be airlifted
> > out... :)
> > I'm kinda leaning to the F7 then the other day I bopped into another
> > shop and saw a giant yukon.
> > don't know squat about these either but it did have the dart front
> > fork and deore rear derailer
>
> > thanks Mike S...
>
> On these bikes, the big weak point is probably the front fork. I don't
> know much about the current state of mid-cheap forks like these bikes
> would have, but suspect they are either crude oil-damper setups (maybe
> acceptable) or downright obsolete elastomer designs (ugh).
>
> Again, you may never run into the limitations of these forks, but a more
> recent design will simply absorb trail imperfections better, mainly in
> aid of better front wheel traction, which equates to not falling down,
> or riding faster, or riding some sections instead of walking them.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau /
> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

Thanks for the input on these models I wish I could justify springing
2k on a bike :)
I think my wife would kill me.....
but for my use as I am now riding a very entry level mongoose I think
the F7 is a
definite upgrade.
BTW where do you ride?

Mike S.

Ryan Cousineau
January 16th 08, 02:54 AM
In article
mike smith > wrote:

> On Jan 14, 1:44 pm, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > mike smith > wrote:

> > > thanks for the input as I live and ride in New Jersey we don't have a
> > > lot of killer downhill
> > > which is good on account that I would most likely need to be airlifted
> > > out... :)
> > > I'm kinda leaning to the F7 then the other day I bopped into another
> > > shop and saw a giant yukon.
> > > don't know squat about these either but it did have the dart front
> > > fork and deore rear derailer
> >
> > > thanks Mike S...
> >
> > On these bikes, the big weak point is probably the front fork. I don't
> > know much about the current state of mid-cheap forks like these bikes
> > would have, but suspect they are either crude oil-damper setups (maybe
> > acceptable) or downright obsolete elastomer designs (ugh).
> >
> > Again, you may never run into the limitations of these forks, but a more
> > recent design will simply absorb trail imperfections better, mainly in
> > aid of better front wheel traction, which equates to not falling down,
> > or riding faster, or riding some sections instead of walking them.
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Cousineau /
> > "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> > Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
>
> Thanks for the input on these models I wish I could justify springing
> 2k on a bike :)
> I think my wife would kill me.....
> but for my use as I am now riding a very entry level mongoose I think
> the F7 is a
> definite upgrade.
> BTW where do you ride?
>
> Mike S.

I'm in the Vancouver area. Last ride was on the weekend: up to the end
of Buntzen Lake and back. I took my cyclocross bike. Which was brave.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home