PDA

View Full Version : I'll wait my turn, thanks!

Rex Kerr
January 17th 08, 06:03 PM
This morning I'm sitting at the red light in the left turn lane waiting
for the light to turn green. I'm the second one in line and there's
nothing out of the ordinary.

Suddenly the guy in front of me rolls down his window and starts
motioning for me to pass him. Unsure what to do I'm looking around
trying to not make eye contact. He keeps it up and so I turn my palms
upwards and shrug my shoulders, so he rolls down his window more (it's
33 degrees out!), sticks his head out, and yells "go ahead and pass!"

Huh? Where am I to go? In front of his car there's a light rail track,
and ahead of that there's a four lane, 55 MPH road that we're waiting to
turn onto!

So, I continue to not make eye contact and look every way except towards
him until the light turns. When it does turn, he sits there watching me
in the mirror. I had to wave him on before he'd go, as if I'm gonna
just jump right out in front of his car at this time!

THANKS, BUT I'LL WAIT FOR MY TURN!!!!

I assume if I'd had a motor turning the crank he would have ignored me.

smn
January 17th 08, 07:17 PM
"Rex Kerr" > wrote in message
> This morning I'm sitting at the red light in the left turn lane waiting
> for the light to turn green. I'm the second one in line and there's
> nothing out of the ordinary.
>
> Suddenly the guy in front of me rolls down his window and starts motioning
> for me to pass him. Unsure what to do I'm looking around trying to not
> make eye contact. He keeps it up and so I turn my palms upwards and shrug
> my shoulders, so he rolls down his window more (it's 33 degrees out!),
> sticks his head out, and yells "go ahead and pass!"
>
> Huh? Where am I to go? In front of his car there's a light rail track,
> and ahead of that there's a four lane, 55 MPH road that we're waiting to
> turn onto!
>
> So, I continue to not make eye contact and look every way except towards
> him until the light turns. When it does turn, he sits there watching me
> in the mirror. I had to wave him on before he'd go, as if I'm gonna just
> jump right out in front of his car at this time!
>
> THANKS, BUT I'LL WAIT FOR MY TURN!!!!
>
> I assume if I'd had a motor turning the crank he would have ignored me.

sounds like your lucky he did not break your legs too

DennisTheBald
January 17th 08, 07:19 PM
On Jan 17, 12:03 pm, Rex Kerr > wrote:

Car people and their misunderstanding of the laws that govern the
operation of vehicles on public roads never cease to amaze me...

Usually they're just waving their arms around inside their tinted
windows and I can pretend like I don't see them.

I really don't think they're thinking it through (dang, if they could
think things through why would they be in cars?-)... being behind me
on the road does nothing but **** them off, so why are they in such a
hurry to get me out in front of them. They only explanation is that
the carbon monoxide poisoning has affected their ability to reason.

Stephen Harding
January 17th 08, 10:21 PM
DennisTheBald wrote:
> On Jan 17, 12:03 pm, Rex Kerr > wrote:
>
> Car people and their misunderstanding of the laws that govern the
> operation of vehicles on public roads never cease to amaze me...
>
> Usually they're just waving their arms around inside their tinted
> windows and I can pretend like I don't see them.
>
> I really don't think they're thinking it through (dang, if they could
> think things through why would they be in cars?-)... being behind me
> on the road does nothing but **** them off, so why are they in such a
> hurry to get me out in front of them. They only explanation is that
> the carbon monoxide poisoning has affected their ability to reason.

Perhaps the fellow was simply trying to be deferential to a
bicyclist!

Quite often I experience motorists who will wait for me to
cross a 4-way stop intersection premature to my turn; or
decline to pass me even though there seems more than enough
space for them to go.

More often than not, I would have preferred the motorist
had just gone on, treating me like a car, but at least I
read the *intent* of the motorist as benign.

It's not necessarily motorist stupidity or ignorance at
work.

SMH

January 17th 08, 10:41 PM
On Jan 17, 5:21 pm, Stephen Harding > wrote:

> More often than not, I would have preferred the motorist
> had just gone on, treating me like a car, but at least I
> read the *intent* of the motorist as benign.

Me too - but it would be so much easier if everyone just played by the
rules. Traffic isn't the best place for creativity.

- Frank Krygowski.

catzz66
January 17th 08, 11:00 PM
Stephen Harding wrote:
> DennisTheBald wrote:
>
>> On Jan 17, 12:03 pm, Rex Kerr > wrote:
>>
>> Car people and their misunderstanding of the laws that govern the
>> operation of vehicles on public roads never cease to amaze me...
>>
>> Usually they're just waving their arms around inside their tinted
>> windows and I can pretend like I don't see them.
>>
>> I really don't think they're thinking it through (dang, if they could
>> think things through why would they be in cars?-)... being behind me
>> on the road does nothing but **** them off, so why are they in such a
>> hurry to get me out in front of them. They only explanation is that
>> the carbon monoxide poisoning has affected their ability to reason.
>

> Perhaps the fellow was simply trying to be deferential to a
> bicyclist!
>
> Quite often I experience motorists who will wait for me to
> cross a 4-way stop intersection premature to my turn; or
> decline to pass me even though there seems more than enough
> space for them to go.
>
> More often than not, I would have preferred the motorist
> had just gone on, treating me like a car, but at least I
> read the *intent* of the motorist as benign.
>
> It's not necessarily motorist stupidity or ignorance at
> work.
>

> SMH

If the motorist is courteous, I assume they have good intentions.
Sometimes if I am not ready to go for whatever reason, I wave them on
and stop to take a swig of water or something. I don't want to annoy
someone who is going out of their way to be nice, since that doesn't
always happen.

Rex Kerr
January 18th 08, 01:11 AM
smn wrote:
> sounds like your lucky he did not break your legs too

That was actually my fear, and though this may be stereotyping the loud
music (which he actually did turn down when yelling out the window) and
dumpy car didn't help asuage that fear!

January 18th 08, 03:19 AM
On Jan 17, 10:03 am, Rex Kerr > wrote:
> This morning I'm sitting at the red light in the left turn lane waiting
> for the light to turn green. I'm the second one in line and there's
> nothing out of the ordinary.
>
> Suddenly the guy in front of me rolls down his window and starts
> motioning for me to pass him. Unsure what to do I'm looking around
> trying to not make eye contact. He keeps it up and so I turn my palms
> upwards and shrug my shoulders, so he rolls down his window more (it's
> 33 degrees out!), sticks his head out, and yells "go ahead and pass!"
>
> Huh? Where am I to go? In front of his car there's a light rail track,
> and ahead of that there's a four lane, 55 MPH road that we're waiting to
> turn onto!
>
> So, I continue to not make eye contact and look every way except towards
> him until the light turns. When it does turn, he sits there watching me
> in the mirror. I had to wave him on before he'd go, as if I'm gonna
> just jump right out in front of his car at this time!
>
> THANKS, BUT I'LL WAIT FOR MY TURN!!!!
>
> I assume if I'd had a motor turning the crank he would have ignored me.

Cagers can kill you with kindness.

I do what I know to be right, doing my best to courteously decline
their invite.

Zoot Katz
January 18th 08, 04:14 AM
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:19:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>> THANKS, BUT I'LL WAIT FOR MY TURN!!!!
>>
>> I assume if I'd had a motor turning the crank he would have ignored me.
>
>Cagers can kill you with kindness.
>
>I do what I know to be right, doing my best to courteously decline
>their invite.

We've some pigheaded ones here.

Now instead of screaming at their steadfast stupidity, I go along
with it - when it's safe, and I'm damn good and ready to move. Then
I'll take my sweet time while smiling, waving and broadly cursing
their idiotic behaviour with what might be considered "fighting
words".

Other times I just spit, look at them like they're an overflowing
toilet bowl and ride around behind them.
--
zk

Luke
January 18th 08, 01:33 PM
In article
>,
> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 5:21 pm, Stephen Harding > wrote:
> >
> > More often than not, I would have preferred the motorist
> > had just gone on, treating me like a car, but at least I
> > read the *intent* of the motorist as benign.
>
> Me too - but it would be so much easier if everyone just played by the
> rules. Traffic isn't the best place for creativity.

Add my voice to the echo. Fomenting ambiguity in traffic, no matter if
the intent is generous, only leads to trouble. Just stick to the
program and nobody gets hurt.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home