PDA

View Full Version : Re: Bike for the Alps

SLAVE of THE STATE
March 7th 08, 11:39 PM
On Mar 7, 1:51*pm, Colin Campbell > wrote:
> I'm going to Italy during the Giro. *The event is "CSC Employee Week",
> and they will supply us with road bikes (Cervelos, probably team bikes
> from 2007 and earlier). *I asked if any would have triple chainrings,
> and the answer was, "No, they have compact doubles, though."
>
> That worries me. *I'm 64, in pretty good shape, riding a ton of miles at
> sea level, and climbing better than I have for years. *But for the tough
> climbs in Southern California, such as Mt Palomar and Glendora Mountain
> Road, I feel like I need my triple. *We'll be staying at a ski resort at
> 1600 m (5000+ feet) altitude, and doing some pretty tough rides, like
> the Selle Ronda, and maybe Passo dello Stelvio if we can make
> arrangements to get there and back. *The Stelvio ascends at 8 - 9% for
> kilometer after kilometer, and goes to 2757 m (over 9000 feet).
>
> Should I tote my climbing bike from home? *(Back in 2002, I took my bike
> to the TdF. *I used a soft sided bag, and my scandium framed bike got
> damaged by United Airlines on the way home. *I had problems with the
> altitude then - I just couldn't seem to get enough oxygen. *That was at
> Les Deux Alpes, 5,000 to 6,000+ feet.)
>
> Should I just go train on my compact double equipped bike, and hope for
> the best?
>
> Oh, and how should I train for riding in the Dolomites? *I don't think
> I'll be getting an altitude tent to sleep in, but I can get to good,
> tough mountain roads without too much driving.

What is the real problem here? Are you too old to get on an EPO
doping program? EPO packs for travel a lot easier and more compactly
than a bicycle.

Donald Munro
March 8th 08, 04:48 AM
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> What is the real problem here? Are you too old to get on an EPO doping
> program? EPO packs for travel a lot easier and more compactly than a
> bicycle.

Sidi shoe boxes work well, allegedly.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home