March 11th 08, 12:54 AM
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com/gallery_03_09_08v.html

Ryan Cousineau
March 11th 08, 04:57 AM
In article >,
John Forrest Tomlinson > wrote:

> http://www.teamorganicnyc.com/gallery_03_09_08v.html

Racing in March in NYC? Hardcore.

Racing in March in NYC and starting before dawn? Stupidcore.

March 11th 08, 05:01 PM
On Mar 11, 5:57*am, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> In article >,
> *John Forrest Tomlinson > wrote:
>
> >http://www.teamorganicnyc.com/gallery_03_09_08v.html
>
> Racing in March in NYC? Hardcore.
>
> Racing in March in NYC and starting before dawn? Stupidcore.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau /
> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

I don't know how many times as a Junior I hit the snooze button too
many times and didn't make it to one of those races. That was dumb.

Joseph

Ryan Cousineau
March 11th 08, 06:06 PM
In article
" > wrote:

> On Mar 11, 5:57*am, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *John Forrest Tomlinson > wrote:
> >
> > >http://www.teamorganicnyc.com/gallery_03_09_08v.html
> >
> > Racing in March in NYC? Hardcore.
> >
> > Racing in March in NYC and starting before dawn? Stupidcore.
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Cousineau /
> > "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> > "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."
>
> I don't know how many times as a Junior I hit the snooze button too
> many times and didn't make it to one of those races. That was dumb.
>
> Joseph

Locally, our Spring Series races start at 10:30 am, meaning sign-on
starts at a humane 9:30.

The difference in temperature between 7 and 10 is often dramatic, so I
have to assume there's some annoying road-access limitations that would
cause anyone to start a race that early.

Mean temperatures in NYC for March appear to be 0-9 C while in Vancouver
they're 3-10 C. The trades are that our races happen up the valley a
bit, where we don't get as much moderating effect from the nearby ocean,
but we race at mid-morning rather than the pre-dawn cold.

March 11th 08, 07:02 PM
On Mar 11, 7:06*pm, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> " > wrote:
> > On Mar 11, 5:57*am, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> > > Racing in March in NYC? Hardcore.
>
> > > Racing in March in NYC and starting before dawn? Stupidcore.
>
> > > --
> > > Ryan Cousineau /
> > > "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> > > "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."
>
> > I don't know how many times as a Junior I hit the snooze button too
> > many times and didn't make it to one of those races. That was dumb.
>
> > Joseph
>
> Locally, our Spring Series races start at 10:30 am, meaning sign-on
> starts at a humane 9:30.
>
> The difference in temperature between 7 and 10 is often dramatic, so I
> have to assume there's some annoying road-access limitations that would
> cause anyone to start a race that early.
>
> Mean temperatures in NYC for March appear to be 0-9 C while in Vancouver
> they're 3-10 C. The trades are that our races happen up the valley a
> bit, where we don't get as much moderating effect from the nearby ocean,
> but we race at mid-morning rather than the pre-dawn cold.

If I recall correctly, they need to run the races in NYC early so that
traffic (joggers, etc) is minimal.

Joseph

March 11th 08, 07:30 PM
On Mar 11, 1:54*am, John Forrest Tomlinson >
wrote:
> http://www.teamorganicnyc.com/gallery_03_09_08v.html

Good turn out!

Do people still pour on the coals on the slight rise before the start/
finish as some sort of show for the spectators? I remeber that
happening all the time.

Joseph

John Forrest Tomlinson
March 11th 08, 11:21 PM
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:06:31 GMT, Ryan Cousineau >
wrote:

>The difference in temperature between 7 and 10 is often dramatic, so I
>have to assume there's some annoying road-access limitations that would
>cause anyone to start a race that early.

Yes, that's it.

John Forrest Tomlinson
March 11th 08, 11:22 PM
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:30:11 -0700 (PDT),
" > wrote:

>On Mar 11, 1:54*am, John Forrest Tomlinson >
>wrote:
>> http://www.teamorganicnyc.com/gallery_03_09_08v.html
>
>Good turn out!
>
>Do people still pour on the coals on the slight rise before the start/
>finish as some sort of show for the spectators? I remeber that
>happening all the time.

Sort of. That's actually a good place to apply pressure since it's a
climb w/o much of a downhill afterwards.

March 12th 08, 08:28 AM
On Mar 12, 12:22*am, John Forrest Tomlinson >
wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:30:11 -0700 (PDT),
>
> " > wrote:
> >On Mar 11, 1:54*am, John Forrest Tomlinson >
> >wrote:
> >>http://www.teamorganicnyc.com/gallery_03_09_08v.html
>
> >Good turn out!
>
> >Do people still pour on the coals on the slight rise before the start/
> >finish as some sort of show for the spectators? I remeber that
> >happening all the time.
>
> Sort of. That's actually a good place to apply pressure since it's a
> climb w/o much of a downhill afterwards. *

I was always one of the last guys through the start/finish area as I
just kept it steady. Almost always everyone cooled off just past the
spectators and I could roll up to the front again. That's where I
tried to make my move a few times.

Joseph

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home