PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Sprinter

Tom Kunich
March 12th 08, 10:48 PM
I was down in Fresno over the weekend and watched the races down there. J.
J. Haedo's younger brother, also a sprinter, came out of the last turn and
apparently slid into the fence breaking his bike and having to hoof it to
the finish line.

I was about 20 feet from where he crossed and the announcer had been
shouting about a crash so I looked Haedo over pretty well and he didn't have
a mark on him. Yet the next morning's paper had almost exactly the same
position that I was in and you could see blood on his legs in the
photograph.

The really interesting part about this was that I expected to see blood on
his legs and looked carefully as he walked past and there wasn't a single
mark on him. I assumed that he slid into the guardrail and never actually
went down. No marks on his jersey or shorts either.

So, did someone at the Fresno paper decide to make it look more exciting
that it was?

March 12th 08, 11:20 PM
On Mar 12, 6:48 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> I was down in Fresno over the weekend and watched the races down there. J.
> J. Haedo's younger brother, also a sprinter, came out of the last turn and
> apparently slid into the fence breaking his bike and having to hoof it to
> the finish line.
>
> I was about 20 feet from where he crossed and the announcer had been
> shouting about a crash so I looked Haedo over pretty well and he didn't have
> a mark on him. Yet the next morning's paper had almost exactly the same
> position that I was in and you could see blood on his legs in the
> photograph.
>
> The really interesting part about this was that I expected to see blood on
> his legs and looked carefully as he walked past and there wasn't a single
> mark on him. I assumed that he slid into the guardrail and never actually
> went down. No marks on his jersey or shorts either.
>
> So, did someone at the Fresno paper decide to make it look more exciting
> that it was?

i think this is in season six of "the wire".

Howard Kveck
March 13th 08, 12:55 AM
In article >,
" > wrote:

> On Mar 12, 6:48 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> > I was down in Fresno over the weekend and watched the races down there. J.
> > J. Haedo's younger brother, also a sprinter, came out of the last turn and
> > apparently slid into the fence breaking his bike and having to hoof it to
> > the finish line.
> >
> > I was about 20 feet from where he crossed and the announcer had been
> > shouting about a crash so I looked Haedo over pretty well and he didn't have
> > a mark on him. Yet the next morning's paper had almost exactly the same
> > position that I was in and you could see blood on his legs in the
> > photograph.
> >
> > The really interesting part about this was that I expected to see blood on
> > his legs and looked carefully as he walked past and there wasn't a single
> > mark on him. I assumed that he slid into the guardrail and never actually
> > went down. No marks on his jersey or shorts either.
> >
> > So, did someone at the Fresno paper decide to make it look more exciting
> > that it was?
>
> i think this is in season six of "the wire".

Not long ago (the Meet Melissa Arrington thread [1]), Tom was touting the value of
eyewitness testimony: "You don't seem to understand that the majority of
people on death row have murdered people in front of others or a camera etc." It
appears he's supplied a good example of why eyewitness testimony is considered
unreliable. But maybe that only applies when he's the eyewitness.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/3e375b3b86cdedb0

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Fred Fredburger
March 13th 08, 05:21 AM
wrote:
> On Mar 12, 6:48 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> I was down in Fresno over the weekend and watched the races down there. J.
>> J. Haedo's younger brother, also a sprinter, came out of the last turn and
>> apparently slid into the fence breaking his bike and having to hoof it to
>> the finish line.
>>
>> I was about 20 feet from where he crossed and the announcer had been
>> shouting about a crash so I looked Haedo over pretty well and he didn't have
>> a mark on him. Yet the next morning's paper had almost exactly the same
>> position that I was in and you could see blood on his legs in the
>> photograph.
>>
>> The really interesting part about this was that I expected to see blood on
>> his legs and looked carefully as he walked past and there wasn't a single
>> mark on him. I assumed that he slid into the guardrail and never actually
>> went down. No marks on his jersey or shorts either.
>>
>> So, did someone at the Fresno paper decide to make it look more exciting
>> that it was?
>
> i think this is in season six of "the wire".

Dumbass,

You act as though this is fiction, but anyone with any common sense
knows it's not. The media has perfected this ability in Iraq, and now
it's in use at your local bike races.

March 13th 08, 08:00 AM
> So, did someone at the Fresno paper decide to make it look more exciting
> that it was?

Why would they give a hoot?

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/story/451756.html

I can't see any blood.

Tom Kunich
March 14th 08, 12:08 AM
> wrote in message
>
>> So, did someone at the Fresno paper decide to make it look more exciting
>> that it was?
>
> Why would they give a hoot?
>
> http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/story/451756.html
>
> I can't see any blood.

I had the actual paper with the picture about 3x5. Maybe it was just the
copy I had but there were three other people that looked at it before me and
talked about the blood.

March 14th 08, 05:47 AM
On Mar 13, 5:08 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >> So, did someone at the Fresno paper decide to make it look more exciting
> >> that it was?
>
> > Why would they give a hoot?
>
> >http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/story/451756.html
>
> > I can't see any blood.
>
> I had the actual paper with the picture about 3x5. Maybe it was just the
> copy I had but there were three other people that looked at it before me and
> talked about the blood.

Maybe someone spilled some ketchup on the paper?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home