PDA

View Full Version : P-N wrap-up

Bill C
March 16th 08, 06:06 PM
Looks to me like we just finished a very solid race, with everyone
generally happy. No midnight raids and bloodsucking at 3am. No
grandstanding stupidity from the current UCI windbag, or politicians.
Nice job all around by the French federation, ASO,and French anti-
doping folks.
Worst thing that could've happened to the clowns at the UCI and Wada,
especially in contrast to Van Impe.
Now hopefully they reach out to the riders themselves, ask them to
form some leadership, and come on board to make the rest of the
season, and the new version of cycling a success.
I hope the other National Fed's take the French up, and join in.
Could well be the beginning of a bright new day in cycling.
It's great when all the drama takes place during the race, between
the riders, with good safety decisions being made also.
Bigass pat on the back from me, anyway.
Bill C

Donald Munro
March 16th 08, 06:41 PM
Bill C wrote:
> Looks to me like we just finished a very solid race, with everyone
> generally happy. No midnight raids and bloodsucking at 3am. No
> grandstanding stupidity from the current UCI windbag, or politicians.
> Nice job all around by the French federation, ASO,and French anti-
> doping folks.
> Worst thing that could've happened to the clowns at the UCI and Wada,
> especially in contrast to Van Impe.
> Now hopefully they reach out to the riders themselves, ask them to
> form some leadership, and come on board to make the rest of the season,
> and the new version of cycling a success.
> I hope the other National Fed's take the French up, and join in. Could
> well be the beginning of a bright new day in cycling. It's great when all
> the drama takes place during the race, between
> the riders, with good safety decisions being made also.
> Bigass pat on the back from me, anyway. Bill C

And we've got two young riders who might yet be meeting a few more times
in Gesink and Lhôtellerie (and Lhôtellerie is French).

Tom Kunich
March 16th 08, 07:15 PM
"Bill C" > wrote in message
> Looks to me like we just finished a very solid race, with everyone
> generally happy.

You mean one of those old races is still running? I've become so
disenchanted with French races that I won't bother to watch them or read the
reports.

Dutch and Belgian races are still interesting though if they start squawking
DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS every posting I'll pass on those as well.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni[_2_]
March 16th 08, 09:46 PM
On Mar 16, 12:15*pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
.

> You mean one of those old races is still running? I've become so
> disenchanted with French races that I won't bother to watch them or read the
> reports.

But you will miss all the Mont Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez action,
and therefore be totally out of the Loop.

Amit Ghosh
March 16th 08, 09:52 PM
On Mar 16, 3:15 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> You mean one of those old races is still running? I've become so
> disenchanted with French races that I won't bother to watch them or read the
> reports.

dumbass,

we don't care what you do.

sincerely, ASO

Fabrizio Mazzoleni[_2_]
March 16th 08, 10:25 PM
On Mar 16, 12:15*pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
..
> You mean one of those old races is still running? I've become so
> disenchanted with French races that I won't bother to watch them or read the
> reports.

Here you go Tom, guess you need to stick
with this stuff.

http://www.usacycling.org/events/getflyer.php?permit=2008-603

Tom Kunich
March 16th 08, 11:15 PM
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote in message
On Mar 16, 12:15 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> > You mean one of those old races is still running? I've become so
> > disenchanted with French races that I won't bother to watch them or read
> > the
> > reports.
> >

> Here you go Tom, guess you need to stick
> with this stuff.
>
> http://www.usacycling.org/events/getflyer.php?permit=2008-603

Do you suppose the racing would be any less exciting than a Paris-Nice
without the best riders?

Howard Kveck
March 16th 08, 11:19 PM
In article >,
Amit Ghosh > wrote:

> On Mar 16, 3:15 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>

> > You mean one of those old races is still running? I've become so
> > disenchanted with French races that I won't bother to watch them or read the
> > reports.
>
> dumbass,
>
> we don't care what you do.
>
> sincerely, ASO

Why limit it to just the ASO? "Sincerely, everbody" would be more appropriate,
don't you think?

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Fabrizio Mazzoleni[_2_]
March 16th 08, 11:47 PM
On Mar 16, 4:15*pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> Do you suppose the racing would be any less exciting than a Paris-Nice
> without the best riders?

Can you say Davide Rebellin and Damiano Cunego?

Tom Kunich
March 17th 08, 12:08 AM
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote in message
On Mar 16, 4:15 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> > Do you suppose the racing would be any less exciting than a Paris-Nice
> > without the best riders?
>
> Can you say Davide Rebellin and Damiano Cunego?

Can you say Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Denis Menchov, Óscar Freire, Tom
Boonen, -- need a longer list? The riders that stayed away made the race
essentially meaningless.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni[_2_]
March 17th 08, 12:44 AM
On Mar 16, 5:08*pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote in message

> On Mar 16, 4:15 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>

> > > Do you suppose the racing would be any less exciting than a Paris-Nice
> > > without the best riders?
>
> > Can you say Davide Rebellin and Damiano Cunego?
>
> Can you say Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Denis Menchov, Óscar Freire, Tom
> Boonen, -- need a longer list? The riders that stayed away made the race
> essentially meaningless.

Remember, Boonen lost almost half an hour on the col du Galibier
stage last July. Christophe Moreau would have had fun with Boonen
on the lower slopes of the Ventoux last week.

March 17th 08, 01:40 AM
> And we've got two young riders who might yet be meeting a few more times
> in Gesink and Lhôtellerie (and Lhôtellerie is French).

Yes, as long as Astana is excluded.

> (and Lhôtellerie is French).

Now I get it.

benjo maso
March 17th 08, 01:54 AM
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> schreef in bericht
> "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote in message
> On Mar 16, 4:15 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>>

>> > Do you suppose the racing would be any less exciting than a Paris-Nice
>> > without the best riders?
>>
>> Can you say Davide Rebellin and Damiano Cunego?
>
> Can you say Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Denis Menchov, Óscar Freire,
> Tom Boonen, -- need a longer list? The riders that stayed away made the
> race essentially meaningless.

Menchov - yes, they would have loved to have him. But the rest? Paris-Nice
isn't a race for Freire or Boonen. Perhaps one of them could have won a
stage, but who cares? And who is Hoa-noa? And do you really think that
Leipheimer would have made the race more "exciting"?!? There were several
strong riders: Rebillin, Cunego, Sanchez, Cadel Evans, Fränk Scleck,
Popovytch, Moreau, Garate, Schumacher, Antón, etc. OK, not everyone was
there, but they never are, not in Paris-Nice (or any other race, except the
Tour, not even in the world championship). But what's more, it was more
exciting than several Tours de France in the last years.

Benjo

Howard Kveck
March 17th 08, 03:13 AM
In article >,
Fabrizio Mazzoleni > wrote:

> On Mar 16, 5:08*pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> > > Can you say Davide Rebellin and Damiano Cunego?
> >
> > Can you say Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Denis Menchov, Óscar Freire, Tom
> > Boonen, -- need a longer list? The riders that stayed away made the race
> > essentially meaningless.
>
> Remember, Boonen lost almost half an hour on the col du Galibier
> stage last July. Christophe Moreau would have had fun with Boonen
> on the lower slopes of the Ventoux last week.

It's worth noting that Freire and Menchov weren't in the race last year - did that
diminish *that* edition? No, of course not. Riders and their teams choose to race a
schedule that suits their needs and goals, not Kunich's.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Donald Munro
March 17th 08, 07:18 AM

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> But you will miss all the Mont Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez action, and
> therefore be totally out of the Loop.

And just where do you think he is now.

Andrew Price
March 17th 08, 06:35 PM
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:18:43 +0200, Donald Munro
> wrote:

>Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>
>> But you will miss all the Mont Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez action, and
>> therefore be totally out of the Loop.
>
>And just where do you think he is now.

Druid City?

Amit Ghosh
March 17th 08, 09:54 PM
On Mar 16, 9:54 pm, "Benjo Maso" > wrote:

> And who is Hoa-noa? And do you really think that
> Leipheimer would have made the race more "exciting"?!?

dumbass,

discussion here (and on cyclingnews) is dominated by the american
perspective. i think it's that way in the UCI too. that's why there is
such an upheaval over the exclusion of astana.

what about rasmussen ? he should've been the rightful winner of the
tour last year anyways. his exclusion from the top teams and races
should be just as upsetting to fans and observers.

TM
March 18th 08, 01:04 AM
"Benjo Maso" > wrote in message

> But what's more, it was more exciting than several Tours de France in the
> last years.

Bottom Line.

The only one I missed from Astana was Vino... until Sanchez lit it up.

Mike Jacoubowsky
March 21st 08, 12:53 AM
> Looks to me like we just finished a very solid race, with everyone
> generally happy. No midnight raids and bloodsucking at 3am. No
> grandstanding stupidity from the current UCI windbag, or politicians.
> Nice job all around by the French federation, ASO,and French anti-
> doping folks.

If we're assuming that doping is no longer happening, then fine, I'll go
along with that sentiment.

But the cynical side of me suggests that doping, at some level, continues.
It's just not being caught. And further, past evidence shows that the ASO
isn't so much interested in cleaning up the sport (evidence being that they
view positive drug tests as a nightmarish thing to happen... their aversion
to scandal is extreme) as they are putting on an event with no positives. So
the lack of midnight raids may be less out of respect for the athletes than
you think.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Bill C" > wrote in message
> Looks to me like we just finished a very solid race, with everyone
> generally happy. No midnight raids and bloodsucking at 3am. No
> grandstanding stupidity from the current UCI windbag, or politicians.
> Nice job all around by the French federation, ASO,and French anti-
> doping folks.
> Worst thing that could've happened to the clowns at the UCI and Wada,
> especially in contrast to Van Impe.
> Now hopefully they reach out to the riders themselves, ask them to
> form some leadership, and come on board to make the rest of the
> season, and the new version of cycling a success.
> I hope the other National Fed's take the French up, and join in.
> Could well be the beginning of a bright new day in cycling.
> It's great when all the drama takes place during the race, between
> the riders, with good safety decisions being made also.
> Bigass pat on the back from me, anyway.
> Bill C

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home