PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove brake hoods?

April 7th 08, 10:26 PM
Do I need to remove brake handles from the handlebars to remove the
rubber brake hoods or do they just get wrestled off from the front "as
is"?

I have the Modolo style where the cables come out and lie along the
handlebar instead of anything coming out the top of the handle
assembly, if this matters.

I've built up my own wheels, etc, but have never done this nor seen it
done, so sorry for the dumb question.

Pureheart
Aptos, CA

Donald Gillies
April 7th 08, 11:18 PM
writes:

>Do I need to remove brake handles from the handlebars to remove the
>rubber brake hoods or do they just get wrestled off from the front "as
>is"?

It probably depends on what make/model of brakes (newer ones might be
different), but for vintage brakes, say pre-1990, removing the brake
levers from the bars is least likely to damage the hoods.

soap the lever and the hood, then gently pull the hood fully onto the
brake lever from the backside, letting the hood's little pointy-area
fold backwards as it presses against the leading edge of the lever.
Then quickly pull the pointy area over the leading edge of the lever -
done.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

April 9th 08, 03:05 AM
On Apr 7, 3:18 pm, (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> writes:
> >Do I need to remove brake handles from the handlebars to remove the
> >rubber brake hoods or do they just get wrestled off from the front "as
> >is"?
>
> It probably depends on what make/model of brakes (newer ones might be
> different), but for vintage brakes, say pre-1990, removing the brake
> levers from the bars is least likely to damage the hoods.
>
> soap the lever and the hood, then gently pull the hood fully onto the
> brake lever from the backside, letting the hood's little pointy-area
> fold backwards as it presses against the leading edge of the lever.
> Then quickly pull the pointy area over the leading edge of the lever -
> done.
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA, USA

Okay, thanks for the tip. I was not looking forward to removing them,
but then, I need new handlebar tape/cork anyway.
pH

Hank
April 9th 08, 06:53 AM
On Apr 7, 2:26 pm, wrote:
> Do I need to remove brake handles from the handlebars to remove the
> rubber brake hoods or do they just get wrestled off from the front "as
> is"?
>
> I have the Modolo style where the cables come out and lie along the
> handlebar instead of anything coming out the top of the handle
> assembly, if this matters.
>
> I've built up my own wheels, etc, but have never done this nor seen it
> done, so sorry for the dumb question.
>
> Pureheart
> Aptos, CA

Older levers, yeah, take them off the bar and change them from the
clamp side.

Current Campy ergos, OTOH, have very strong, stretchy hoods that can
be easily changed by stretching them over the front of the lever. The
whole time, you'll be thinking, they're gonna rip, they're gonna rip,
but they haven't yet for me.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home