PDA

View Full Version : How nuts and bolts are made video

Peter Cole[_2_]
April 16th 08, 01:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

April 16th 08, 02:28 PM
On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Peter Cole > wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

Without knowing that nuts and bolts are available less expensively
elsewhere, you could appreciate from this video why your local bike
and hardware shop charges so much for a Campagnolo nut or bolt.

Nate Nagel[_2_]
April 16th 08, 11:56 PM
wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Peter Cole > wrote:
>
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ
>

> Without knowing that nuts and bolts are available less expensively
> elsewhere, you could appreciate from this video why your local bike
> and hardware shop charges so much for a Campagnolo nut or bolt.

Wow that was a flashback. Right after I graduated from college, I was
having a hard time finding a real engineering job, so I spent a little
over a year setting up cold heading and thread rolling machines. It's
almost as much art as science.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Ryan Cousineau
April 17th 08, 03:05 AM
In article
" > wrote:

> On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Peter Cole > wrote:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ
>
> Without knowing that nuts and bolts are available less expensively
> elsewhere, you could appreciate from this video why your local bike
> and hardware shop charges so much for a Campagnolo nut or bolt.

As the old joke goes, they lose money on every part, but make it up in
volume.

Ben C
April 17th 08, 08:51 AM
On 2008-04-17, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> In article
>,
> " > wrote:
>
>> On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Peter Cole > wrote:
>> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ
>>
>> Without knowing that nuts and bolts are available less expensively
>> elsewhere, you could appreciate from this video why your local bike
>> and hardware shop charges so much for a Campagnolo nut or bolt.
>
> As the old joke goes, they lose money on every part, but make it up in
> volume.

It was interesting to see that the finished bolt and nut were basically
squeezed out of the starting metal as if it were clay. At no point was
anything cut off leaving bits of metal or swarf on the floor to be swept
up and melted down again.

I always assumed nuts were punched from a thick sheet and that to make
the bolt heads you would have to at least cut off the corners. But no.
The way they do it is not only cheaper and more efficient but may also
leave favourable residual stresses of some kind in the finished bolt.
But I have my doubts about that guess because after that they gave the
bolts a couple of good bakings in a hot oven.

I read here:
http://www.portlandbolt.com/faqs/rolled-vs-cut-threads-bolts

that one of the advantages of roll threading is that the "cold working on
the threads makes them more resistant to damage during handling".
Wouldn't any cold working effect be reset by the heating in the oven?

Hobbes@spnb&s.com
April 17th 08, 05:16 PM
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:57:54 -0700, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:

>Peter Cole wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ
>
>All that and I can strip 'em in two seconds.

You aren't using proper torque spec's. You have to be careful to tighten it
until it just starts to strip and then you back off a little. Then use loctite.

Carl Sundquist
April 17th 08, 06:47 PM
> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:57:54 -0700, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>
>>Peter Cole wrote:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ
>>
>>All that and I can strip 'em in two seconds.
>
> You aren't using proper torque spec's. You have to be careful to tighten
> it
> until it just starts to strip and then you back off a little. Then use
> loctite.

You add the loctite _after_ you've already tightened the the fastener?

Dre[_2_]
April 18th 08, 07:26 AM
"still just me" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:47:04 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" >
> wrote:
>
>>> You aren't using proper torque spec's. You have to be careful to tighten
>>> it
>>> until it just starts to strip and then you back off a little. Then use
>>> loctite.
>>>

> Sure... if you use it before, it would make it awfully hard to undo
> the nut later!

Please tell me you aren't being serious?

>>You add the loctite _after_ you've already tightened the the fastener?

I'm not going to answer this yet as I think you are all taking the **** :)

Cheers Dre

Jay[_2_]
April 18th 08, 04:42 PM
On Apr 16, 7:12*am, Peter Cole > wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

Thanks Peter!

'How It's Made' is one of my fav cable TV shows.

I think it is on Discovery Channel but it could be on A&E.

J.

Kristian M Zoerhoff
April 18th 08, 04:44 PM
On 2008-04-18, Jay > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 7:12*am, Peter Cole > wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ
>>

> Thanks Peter!
>
> 'How It's Made' is one of my fav cable TV shows.
>
> I think it is on Discovery Channel but it could be on A&E.

It's Discovery, right before Cash Cab in the afternoon. I always
end up with the last 60 seconds of it when I Tivo CC.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Jay[_2_]
April 18th 08, 09:00 PM
On Apr 18, 10:44*am, Kristian M Zoerhoff >
wrote:
> On 2008-04-18, Jay > wrote:
>

> It's Discovery, right before Cash Cab in the afternoon. I always
> end up with the last 60 seconds of it when I Tivo CC.
>
> --
>
> Kristian Zoerhoff

danke KMZ

J.