PDA

View Full Version : wheels

Andre
April 20th 08, 06:12 PM
Do riders use different wheels in races that have cobblestones
like Paris-Roubaix, that makes it less likely to get a flat? I was
surprised that there aren't that many flats on those type of races.

Andre

Tom Kunich
April 20th 08, 07:35 PM
"Andre" > wrote in message

> Do riders use different wheels in races that have cobblestones
> like Paris-Roubaix, that makes it less likely to get a flat? I was
> surprised that there aren't that many flats on those type of races.

They tend to use old fashioned 32 spoke wheels and usually tubulars since
they're less pinch flat prone than clinchers.

SLAVE of THE STATE
April 20th 08, 10:08 PM
On Apr 20, 10:12*am, Andre > wrote:
> * * *Do riders use different wheels in races that have cobblestones
> like Paris-Roubaix, that makes it less likely to get a flat? I was
> surprised that there aren't that many flats on those type of races.

Thank goodness you didn't say "puncture."

What are the flats per rider mile across different races?
Subjectively, I always thought there were "a lot of flats" on cobbled
races like PR. I also noted in reading CN that some teams/riders were
using clinchers. What suprised me was a statement that they were
using 23c tires.

Howard Kveck
April 21st 08, 07:54 AM
In article >,
Andre > wrote:

> Do riders use different wheels in races that have cobblestones
> like Paris-Roubaix, that makes it less likely to get a flat? I was
> surprised that there aren't that many flats on those type of races.

Yeah, they do (for the most part) run somewhat different wheelsets. Fewer carbon
rims, greater spoke counts. Check out some of the tech articles on CN:

http://tinyurl.com/497svh

http://tinyurl.com/5wfh6l

http://tinyurl.com/49y8qg

http://tinyurl.com/422g44

Here's a good example:

http://tinyurl.com/543m7n

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Howard Kveck
April 21st 08, 08:01 AM
In article >,
SLAVE of THE STATE > wrote:

> On Apr 20, 10:12*am, Andre > wrote:
> > * * *Do riders use different wheels in races that have cobblestones
> > like Paris-Roubaix, that makes it less likely to get a flat? I was
> > surprised that there aren't that many flats on those type of races.
>
> Thank goodness you didn't say "puncture."
>
> What are the flats per rider mile across different races?
> Subjectively, I always thought there were "a lot of flats" on cobbled
> races like PR. I also noted in reading CN that some teams/riders were
> using clinchers. What suprised me was a statement that they were
> using 23c tires.

I was a bit surprised at that too. 23s seem pretty small. I don't recall all of
the clincher-using teams running them that small (AG2R had 25s).

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Andre
April 21st 08, 09:45 PM
On Apr 21, 2:54*am, Howard Kveck > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Andre > wrote:
> > * * *Do riders use different wheels in races that have cobblestones
> > like Paris-Roubaix, that makes it less likely to get a flat? I was
> > surprised that there aren't that many flats on those type of races.
>
> * *Yeah, they do (for the most part) run somewhat different wheelsets. Fewer carbon
> rims, greater spoke counts. Check out some of the tech articles on CN:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/497svh
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5wfh6l
>
> http://tinyurl.com/49y8qg
>
> http://tinyurl.com/422g44
>
> * *Here's a good example:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/543m7n
>
> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * tanx,
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Howard
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * Whatever happened to
> * * * * * * * * * * * * Leon Trotsky?
> * * * * * * * * * * * * He got an icepick
> * * * * * * * * * * * * That made his ears burn.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * *remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to put a road bike together, and was
wondering what wheels to get. I'm mostly concerned about flats. I do
my riding in South Florida. So I'm interested in something sturdy but
with some speed too. I'll have to research rims too. I read about
tubeless, but they sound like a pain in the neck. The frame is going
to be Cervelo.

Andre

Ted van de Weteringe
April 21st 08, 09:52 PM
Andre wrote:
> I'm trying to put a road bike together

Better ask in rec.bicycles.tech

SLAVE of THE STATE
April 21st 08, 11:37 PM
On Apr 21, 1:45*pm, Andre > wrote:

> I'm mostly concerned about flats. I do
> my riding in South Florida. So I'm interested in
> something sturdy but with some speed too.

http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/carbon12_specs.html
SL Carbon 12
Road 700 x 25C 220 105 127

(SL is basic folding bead, no special belt, 25c)

Best training tire ever made. Heck, you can race w/ them too. Use a
70g tube.

You can get the tires from Harris Cyclery.

Carl Sundquist
April 22nd 08, 12:20 AM
"Andre" > wrote in message

> Thanks for the info. I'm trying to put a road bike together, and was
> wondering what wheels to get. I'm mostly concerned about flats. I do
> my riding in South Florida. So I'm interested in something sturdy but
> with some speed too. I'll have to research rims too. I read about
> tubeless, but they sound like a pain in the neck. The frame is going
> to be Cervelo.

Andre,

South Florida, with it's causeway overpasses being the only thing to
approximate a hill, is the ultimate location for Master's Fatties. As such,
you will find vastly overweight riding wheels that were designed for more
svelte riders. Generally speaking, the only roads you need be wary of are
ones out in rural areas, such as the Redlands in Dade County or Loxahatchee
in Palm Beach County. Anything that is in residential areas or closer to the
beach is in good condition, road cuts excepted.

As you mentioned, your biggest worries are broken glass (and Canadiens
heading to the Early Bird Special at 4 in the afternoon).

Andre
April 22nd 08, 02:22 AM
On Apr 21, 7:20*pm, "Carl Sundquist" > wrote:
> "Andre" > wrote in message

> > Thanks for the info. I'm trying to put a road bike together, and was
> > wondering what wheels to get. I'm mostly concerned about flats. I do
> > my riding in South Florida. So I'm interested in something sturdy but
> > with some speed too. I'll have to research rims too. I read about
> > tubeless, but they sound like a pain in the neck. The frame is going
> > to be Cervelo.
>
> Andre,
>
> South Florida, with it's causeway overpasses being the only thing to
> approximate a hill, is the ultimate location for Master's Fatties. As such,
> you will find vastly overweight riding wheels that were designed for more
> svelte riders. Generally speaking, the only roads you need be wary of are
> ones out in rural areas, such as the Redlands in Dade County or Loxahatchee
> in Palm Beach County. Anything that is in residential areas or closer to the
> beach is in good condition, road cuts excepted.
>
> As you mentioned, your biggest worries are broken glass (and Canadiens
> heading to the Early Bird Special at 4 in the afternoon).

I train mostly in Broward. been living here for quite a while. Always
stay away from Dade, except when I take a1a and head for the circuit
around Aventura golf course. I stick mostly to the beach side around
Hollywood Dania and Ft. Lauderdale. There is a nice route in John
Lloyd Park, it's 2 and a half miles long with virtually no traffic-
you can really test yourself for 5 minutes at a time at full speed.
Canadians are a big nuisance but they have vacated the area until
December. I don't think I qualify as a master fattie at 6'1 195
pounds. Raced amateur races in Belgium when I was a teenager. I always
miss the hills over there, but I go to Belgium once a year anyway, and
Spain once a tear too. I try to race against the clock mostly in
Florida. On other vacations I've climbed Mount Mitchell and Mount
Pisgah in N.C. That was a lot of fun. I still haven't decided what
wheels I should use in Florida once I have the Cervelo going.

Andre

Carl Sundquist
April 22nd 08, 03:32 AM
"Andre" > wrote in message

> I train mostly in Broward. been living here for quite a while. Always
> stay away from Dade, except when I take a1a and head for the circuit
> around Aventura golf course. I stick mostly to the beach side around
> Hollywood Dania and Ft. Lauderdale. There is a nice route in John
> Lloyd Park, it's 2 and a half miles long with virtually no traffic-
> you can really test yourself for 5 minutes at a time at full speed.
> Canadians are a big nuisance but they have vacated the area until
> December. I don't think I qualify as a master fattie at 6'1 195
> pounds. Raced amateur races in Belgium when I was a teenager. I always
> miss the hills over there, but I go to Belgium once a year anyway, and
> Spain once a tear too. I try to race against the clock mostly in
> Florida. On other vacations I've climbed Mount Mitchell and Mount
> Pisgah in N.C. That was a lot of fun. I still haven't decided what
> wheels I should use in Florida once I have the Cervelo going.

I don't know if the road is still open, but you used to be able to ride
completely around the perimeter road outside the Ft Lauderdale airport. You
have to be wary of the people driving slowly in John U. Lloyd park. Riding
down to Aventura, I've found traffic to be a pain in the
Hollywood/Hallandale area at times. Do you know Turbodog? He lives off
Sheridan St and _loves_ to ride at Aventura.

A1A north past Deerfield, Lighthouse Point, and up into Boca and Palm Beach
is a nice ride, too.

I wasn't making any reference to your own size, just showing that plenty of
large riders riding lightweight wheels in the area is indicative of the
quality of roads (especiall in comparison to Paris Roubaix as you mention in
your original post).

Andre
April 22nd 08, 01:50 PM
On Apr 21, 10:32*pm, "Carl Sundquist" > wrote:
> "Andre" > wrote in message

> > I train mostly in Broward. been living here for quite a while. Always
> > stay away from Dade, except when I take a1a and head for the circuit
> > around Aventura golf course. I stick mostly to the beach side around
> > Hollywood Dania and Ft. Lauderdale. There is a nice route in John
> > Lloyd Park, it's 2 and a half miles long with virtually no traffic-
> > you can really test yourself for 5 minutes at *a time at full speed.
> > Canadians are a big nuisance but they have vacated the area until
> > December. I don't think I qualify as a master fattie at 6'1 195
> > pounds. Raced amateur races in Belgium when I was a teenager. I always
> > miss the hills over there, but I go to Belgium once a year anyway, and
> > Spain once a tear too. I try to race against the clock mostly in
> > Florida. On other vacations I've climbed Mount Mitchell and Mount
> > Pisgah in N.C. That was a lot of fun. I still haven't decided what
> > wheels I should use in Florida once I have the Cervelo going.
>
> I don't know if the road is still open, but you used to be able to ride
> completely around the perimeter road outside the Ft Lauderdale airport. You
> have to be wary of the people driving slowly in John U. Lloyd park. Riding
> down to Aventura, I've found traffic to be a pain in the
> Hollywood/Hallandale area at times. Do you know Turbodog? He lives off
> Sheridan St and _loves_ to ride at Aventura.
>
> A1A north past Deerfield, Lighthouse Point, and up into Boca and Palm Beach
> is a nice ride, too.
>
> I wasn't making any reference to your own size, just showing that plenty of
> large riders riding lightweight wheels in the area is indicative of the
> quality of roads (especiall in comparison to Paris Roubaix as you mention in
> your original post).

What does Turbodog look like? I may have seen him without knowing it?
What kind of bike? Yes, the traffic in Hallandale/Golden Beach can be
dangerous; not much room for them to go past you. And of course some
of them (like Cadel Evans said) take offense to any other vehicle on
the road besides them. I like the William Lehman Causeway although I
had a flat right at the summit. I took a spill a few weeks ago right
in front of the Diplomat building (for looking at a beautiful Russian
girl) I wasn't injured; just scrapes; I fell right in front of her,
but she came over and asked me if I was ok. I told her that I would
have rather fallen in front of an ugly girl. She didn't even crack a
smile. You know the area pretty good, you used to live there no doubt?

Andre

Bruce Gilbert[_3_]
April 22nd 08, 02:02 PM
"Carl Sundquist" > wrote in message

> "Andre" > wrote in message
>
> > Thanks for the info. I'm trying to put a road bike together, and was
> > wondering what wheels to get. I'm mostly concerned about flats. I do
> > my riding in South Florida. So I'm interested in something sturdy but
> > with some speed too. I'll have to research rims too. I read about
> > tubeless, but they sound like a pain in the neck. The frame is going
> > to be Cervelo.
>
> Andre,
>
> South Florida, with it's causeway overpasses being the only thing to
> approximate a hill, is the ultimate location for Master's Fatties. As
such,
> you will find vastly overweight riding wheels that were designed for more
> svelte riders. Generally speaking, the only roads you need be wary of are
> ones out in rural areas, such as the Redlands in Dade County or
Loxahatchee
> in Palm Beach County. Anything that is in residential areas or closer to
the
> beach is in good condition, road cuts excepted.
>
> As you mentioned, your biggest worries are broken glass (and Canadiens
> heading to the Early Bird Special at 4 in the afternoon).

In Houston, we have no hills for training either. We have developed a
solution. Simply take an old truck tire, fill it with fresh concrete. Put
the end of a 15 foot chain into the concrete. After it sets, attach the
other end of the chain to your seatpost. Ride the overpasses until the
rubber is completeely worn off. You should be able to ride up Alp D'Huez
without hands...

Don't forget to use ceramic bearings and carbon rims. Those two items alone
can transform anyone into a great rider. Full ceramic bearing sets actually
increase virility. I know that for a fact. Our bike club did the testing, it
really works. Koyo bearings are best... this month each set comes with 15
feet of 6/4 titanium chain. It is just the thing for hill training.

Bruce

April 22nd 08, 04:56 PM
On Apr 20, 12:12*pm, Andre > wrote:
> * * *Do riders use different wheels in races that have cobblestones
> like Paris-Roubaix, that makes it less likely to get a flat? I was
> surprised that there aren't that many flats on those type of races.
>
> * * * * * * *Andre

Depends on the rider:

Riders like Boonen, Cancellara, and Ballan use 32 or 36 spokes on
traditional box section rims.

This puts them at a distinct disadvantage to forward thinking riders
like Hincapie, Backstedt, and Wiesmann,
who use faster carbon rims.

George tried to give Tom some equipment selection advice, but Boonen
was reported to have a cobblestone trophy stuck in each ear.

Andre
April 22nd 08, 05:40 PM
On Apr 22, 11:56*am, " >
wrote:
> On Apr 20, 12:12*pm, Andre > wrote:
>
> > * * *Do riders use different wheels in races that have cobblestones
> > like Paris-Roubaix, that makes it less likely to get a flat? I was
> > surprised that there aren't that many flats on those type of races.
>
> > * * * * * * *Andre
>
> Depends on the rider:
>
> Riders like Boonen, Cancellara, and Ballan use 32 or 36 spokes on
> traditional box section rims.
>
> This puts them at a distinct disadvantage to forward thinking riders
> like Hincapie, Backstedt, and Wiesmann,
> who use faster carbon rims.
>
> George tried to give Tom some equipment selection advice, but Boonen
> was reported to have a cobblestone trophy stuck in each ear.

That's funny!!!

Michael Press
April 22nd 08, 11:47 PM
In article
Andre > wrote:

> On Apr 21, 10:32*pm, "Carl Sundquist" > wrote:
> > "Andre" > wrote in message

> > > I train mostly in Broward. been living here for quite a while. Always
> > > stay away from Dade, except when I take a1a and head for the circuit
> > > around Aventura golf course. I stick mostly to the beach side around
> > > Hollywood Dania and Ft. Lauderdale. There is a nice route in John
> > > Lloyd Park, it's 2 and a half miles long with virtually no traffic-
> > > you can really test yourself for 5 minutes at *a time at full speed.
> > > Canadians are a big nuisance but they have vacated the area until
> > > December. I don't think I qualify as a master fattie at 6'1 195
> > > pounds. Raced amateur races in Belgium when I was a teenager. I always
> > > miss the hills over there, but I go to Belgium once a year anyway, and
> > > Spain once a tear too. I try to race against the clock mostly in
> > > Florida. On other vacations I've climbed Mount Mitchell and Mount
> > > Pisgah in N.C. That was a lot of fun. I still haven't decided what
> > > wheels I should use in Florida once I have the Cervelo going.
> >
> > I don't know if the road is still open, but you used to be able to ride
> > completely around the perimeter road outside the Ft Lauderdale airport. You
> > have to be wary of the people driving slowly in John U. Lloyd park. Riding
> > down to Aventura, I've found traffic to be a pain in the
> > Hollywood/Hallandale area at times. Do you know Turbodog? He lives off
> > Sheridan St and _loves_ to ride at Aventura.
> >
> > A1A north past Deerfield, Lighthouse Point, and up into Boca and Palm Beach
> > is a nice ride, too.
> >
> > I wasn't making any reference to your own size, just showing that plenty of
> > large riders riding lightweight wheels in the area is indicative of the
> > quality of roads (especiall in comparison to Paris Roubaix as you mention in
> > your original post).
>
> What does Turbodog look like? I may have seen him without knowing it?
> What kind of bike? Yes, the traffic in Hallandale/Golden Beach can be
> dangerous; not much room for them to go past you. And of course some
> of them (like Cadel Evans said) take offense to any other vehicle on
> the road besides them. I like the William Lehman Causeway although I
> had a flat right at the summit. I took a spill a few weeks ago right
> in front of the Diplomat building (for looking at a beautiful Russian
> girl) I wasn't injured; just scrapes; I fell right in front of her,
> but she came over and asked me if I was ok. I told her that I would
> have rather fallen in front of an ugly girl.

Dumbass, never say `ugly' in front of a beauty.
Neither, praise her beauty.
Find a way to compliment her intelligence.

--
Michael Press

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home