PDA

View Full Version : New wheel suggestions/disc brake help?

Tim Dunne
April 20th 08, 05:02 PM
Hello people

I'm after recommendations for a good mail order wheel builder, or one
local to the West Midlands. Thinking of getting some new wheels for the
galaxy and was maybe thinking XT hubs and 28mm Mavic openpro rims for
something a tad speedier than 719's. LBS built last set (XT hubs and 719's)
and wasn't overly impressed. Just idly musing, any recommendations for a
sturdy, rough stuff capable but light rim?

Are there any nice hubs with cartridge bearings, I like the idea of
those.

While I'm about it, how hard would it be to fit disc compatible forks to
a 2005 ultra galaxy and fit a front disc brake compatible with STI levers?
Anyone done it? Suggestions, if possible, for likely hubs?

Cheers in advance,

Tim
--
We got a thousand points of light | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
For the homeless man | All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org

Clive George
April 20th 08, 05:13 PM
"Tim Dunne" > wrote in message
m...

> Are there any nice hubs with cartridge bearings, I like the idea of
> those.

Plenty. Low end campag is probably cheapest, but pretty much everybody but
shimano uses cartridge bearings now. (ok, high end campag has something else
too).

(Hope, Phil Wood, Chris King, White Industries are the ones I know of - I've
got Hope and WI ones, both nice although the Hope isn't strong enough for an
MTB tandem :-( ).

cheers,
clive

david lloyd
April 20th 08, 06:04 PM
"Tim Dunne" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello people
>
> I'm after recommendations for a good mail order wheel builder, or one
> local to the West Midlands. Thinking of getting some new wheels for the
> galaxy and was maybe thinking XT hubs and 28mm Mavic openpro rims for
> something a tad speedier than 719's. LBS built last set (XT hubs and
> 719's) and wasn't overly impressed. Just idly musing, any recommendations
> for a sturdy, rough stuff capable but light rim?
>
> Are there any nice hubs with cartridge bearings, I like the idea of
> those.
>
> While I'm about it, how hard would it be to fit disc compatible forks
> to a 2005 ultra galaxy and fit a front disc brake compatible with STI
> levers? Anyone done it? Suggestions, if possible, for likely hubs?
>
> Cheers in advance,
>
> Tim

You need a good, old fashioned bike shop. I don't have direct experience of
Fred Williams' wheel building skills, but I'd suggest them based on feel for
service alone. Plus the other classy bike shop I know in the Midlands keep
having to have a mate's wheel back for broken spokes, so no recommendation
there.

If you are stuck for an STI compatable set of disc brake levers, may I
suggest that you look at the levers for drops that Magura did. You will have
to marry them with a pair of bar end controls. Any frame builder who deals
with road and mountain bikes would be able to convert your forks (guessing
steel for a Galaxy). I have seen a cyclocross machine with discs on, though
I didn't take in what levers it had on.

David Lloyd.

Clive George
April 20th 08, 06:19 PM
"David Lloyd" > wrote in message

> If you are stuck for an STI compatable set of disc brake levers, may I
> suggest that you look at the levers for drops that Magura did.

Rim brake only, and darn hard to find.

> You will have to marry them with a pair of bar end controls. Any frame
> builder who deals with road and mountain bikes would be able to convert
> your forks (guessing steel for a Galaxy). I have seen a cyclocross machine
> with discs on, though I didn't take in what levers it had on.

There are several makers of mechanical disc brakes. Avid are the normal ones
recommended - they do a version with the correct cable travel for road bar
levers (including STI/Ergo obviously). (or you can use a travel agent and
the MTB type).

Converting forks - well, a disc brake will apply significant forces to the
fork blade which it simply wasn't designed for. If going disc, I'd get new
forks. But TBH I'd stick with rims for road stuff.

cheers,
clive

Duncan Smith
April 20th 08, 06:24 PM
On Apr 20, 5:02 pm, "Tim Dunne" > wrote:
> Hello people
>
> I'm after recommendations for a good mail order wheel builder, or one
> local to the West Midlands. Thinking of getting some new wheels for the
> galaxy and was maybe thinking XT hubs and 28mm Mavic openpro rims for
> something a tad speedier than 719's. LBS built last set (XT hubs and 719's)
> and wasn't overly impressed. Just idly musing, any recommendations for a
> sturdy, rough stuff capable but light rim?
>
> Are there any nice hubs with cartridge bearings, I like the idea of
> those.
>
> While I'm about it, how hard would it be to fit disc compatible forks to
> a 2005 ultra galaxy and fit a front disc brake compatible with STI levers?
> Anyone done it? Suggestions, if possible, for likely hubs?

Try the 'Custom Wheel Builder' link from All Terrain Cycles (they do
road stuff too)

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/custom_wheels.html

I've had two wheels from them and they've both been good - no
problems. You select your components from a wide range of brands/
models for hub, spokes and rim - get a price, buy on line and get the
wheel in the post (well packaged)

Chris King hubs are almost bullet-proof and sealed - you're unlikely
to have any trouble with them even after high mileage, got one on my
roadie (front) with an OpenPro rim and have found it to be a nice
combination.

Don't know about the Galaxy, but assuming it's a 1 1/8 threadless fork
(most are) then you just need a cyclo-cross or MTB style fork - Kona
P2 are sturdy and cheap (if you're not after the lightest kit in
town). Hydraulic disc brakes are definitely the way to go (IMHO),
snag is, the controls don't fit most drop bars - so you'll either need
flats or Thomson do a 22.2mm drop bar - but they (the breaks) wont
work with STI levers - so you'd be looking at new gears, or seeing
whether your gears could take trigger or grip shift style controls.
Avid do do a mechanical (cable) operated disc brake, but I don't
reckon it's much better than decent cantis/v-brakes any way.

Regards,

Duncan

david lloyd
April 20th 08, 10:03 PM
"Clive George" > wrote in message
> "David Lloyd" > wrote in message
>
>> If you are stuck for an STI compatable set of disc brake levers, may I
>> suggest that you look at the levers for drops that Magura did.
>
> Rim brake only, and darn hard to find.
>
>> You will have to marry them with a pair of bar end controls. Any frame
>> builder who deals with road and mountain bikes would be able to convert
>> your forks (guessing steel for a Galaxy). I have seen a cyclocross
>> machine with discs on, though I didn't take in what levers it had on.
>
> There are several makers of mechanical disc brakes. Avid are the normal
> ones recommended - they do a version with the correct cable travel for
> road bar levers (including STI/Ergo obviously). (or you can use a travel
> agent and the MTB type).
>
> Converting forks - well, a disc brake will apply significant forces to the
> fork blade which it simply wasn't designed for. If going disc, I'd get new
> forks. But TBH I'd stick with rims for road stuff.
>
> cheers,
> clive

Obviously someone who has studied the subject more than I.

pete whelan
April 21st 08, 06:47 PM
Tim Dunne wrote:
> Hello people
>
> I'm after recommendations for a good mail order wheel builder, or one
> local to the West Midlands. Thinking of getting some new wheels for the
> galaxy and was maybe thinking XT hubs and 28mm Mavic openpro rims for
> something a tad speedier than 719's. LBS built last set (XT hubs and
> 719's) and wasn't overly impressed. Just idly musing, any
> recommendations for a sturdy, rough stuff capable but light rim?
>
> Are there any nice hubs with cartridge bearings, I like the idea of
> those.
>
> While I'm about it, how hard would it be to fit disc compatible forks
> to a 2005 ultra galaxy and fit a front disc brake compatible with STI
> levers? Anyone done it? Suggestions, if possible, for likely hubs?
>
> Cheers in advance,
>
> Tim

If fitting discs all round, then you may also need the rear of the frame
strengthened as well as beefier forks.

Avid BB7 road disc calipers work well with STI levers. They are cable
discs, but very good.

Rob Morley
April 21st 08, 08:40 PM
In article >, Pete Whelan
says...

> If fitting discs all round, then you may also need the rear of the frame
> strengthened as well as beefier forks.

A good meaty bolt-on bracket for a rear disc caliper should spread the
load sufficiently across the seat and chain stays to prevent any
problems. Adapting front forks is a different matter - I'd be inclined
to mount the caliper in front of the fork blade, with a long torque arm
anchored near the top of the blade.

Tim Dunne
April 21st 08, 11:07 PM

> (Hope, Phil Wood, Chris King, White Industries are the ones I know of -
> I've got Hope and WI ones, both nice although the Hope isn't strong enough
> for an MTB tandem :-( ).

Cheers. Would I be correct in thinking that they're a lot less hassle and
more corrosion resistant?

Tim
--
We got a thousand points of light | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
For the homeless man | All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org
We got a kinder, gentler, | Is your ISP pimping your data?
Machine gun hand Neil Young | www.badphorm.co.uk

Tim Dunne
April 21st 08, 11:12 PM
"David Lloyd" > wrote in message

> You need a good, old fashioned bike shop. I don't have direct experience
> of Fred Williams' wheel building skills, but I'd suggest them based on
> feel for service alone. Plus the other classy bike shop I know in the
> Midlands keep having to have a mate's wheel back for broken spokes, so no
> recommendation there.

I have mixed experience of the local traditional LBS's - one was
immendiately ruled out because they asked me if I wanted to reuse the old
spokes for the new wheel... another didn't seem to have an opinion on
anything, and the ones who built the current wheels didn't do a terribly
good job, IMHO.

> If you are stuck for an STI compatable set of disc brake levers, may I
> suggest that you look at the levers for drops that Magura did. You will
> have to marry them with a pair of bar end controls. Any frame builder who
> deals with road and mountain bikes would be able to convert your forks
> (guessing steel for a Galaxy). I have seen a cyclocross machine with discs
> on, though I didn't take in what levers it had on.

Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear. I have 105 STI levers and drop bars. What
I'd like to do is replace forks, wheel and brake for a disc setup whilst
keeping to 700cx28 and the current bar and lever setup. The issue is that
I'm getting rim wear and the cantis currently on the bike are awful
squealers regardless of blocks or toe in etc.

Thanks

Tim

--
We got a thousand points of light | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
For the homeless man | All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org
We got a kinder, gentler, | Is your ISP pimping your data?
Machine gun hand Neil Young | www.badphorm.co.uk

Tim Dunne
April 21st 08, 11:18 PM
"Clive George" > wrote in message
> "David Lloyd" > wrote in message

> There are several makers of mechanical disc brakes. Avid are the normal
> ones recommended - they do a version with the correct cable travel for
> road bar levers (including STI/Ergo obviously). (or you can use a travel
> agent and the MTB type).

Do travel agents work? They always sem so Heath Robinson...

> Converting forks - well, a disc brake will apply significant forces to the
> fork blade which it simply wasn't designed for. If going disc, I'd get new
> forks. But TBH I'd stick with rims for road stuff.

I'd be replacing the forks. The bike does a fair bit of rough stuff (canal
towpaths, Peak District tracks, forest tracks) so the grit, particularly in
winter, just grinds the rims down, however clean you try to keep them.

Thanks for your input.

Tim
--
We got a thousand points of light | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
For the homeless man | All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org
We got a kinder, gentler, | Is your ISP pimping your data?
Machine gun hand Neil Young | www.badphorm.co.uk

Tim Dunne
April 21st 08, 11:21 PM
"Duncan Smith" > wrote in message
> On Apr 20, 5:02 pm, "Tim Dunne" > wrote:

8<... great stuff

Thanks, most helpful.

Tim
--
We got a thousand points of light | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
For the homeless man | All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org
We got a kinder, gentler, | Is your ISP pimping your data?
Machine gun hand Neil Young | www.badphorm.co.uk

Tim Dunne
April 21st 08, 11:23 PM
"Pete Whelan" > wrote in message

> If fitting discs all round, then you may also need the rear of the frame
> strengthened as well as beefier forks.

No, the rear cantis are fine, if a little spongy.

> Avid BB7 road disc calipers work well with STI levers. They are cable
> discs, but very good.

Thanks, looks like the way to go...

Tim

--
We got a thousand points of light | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
For the homeless man | All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org
We got a kinder, gentler, | Is your ISP pimping your data?
Machine gun hand Neil Young | www.badphorm.co.uk

Craig Wallace
April 21st 08, 11:34 PM
Tim Dunne wrote:
> Hello people
>
> I'm after recommendations for a good mail order wheel builder, or one
> local to the West Midlands. Thinking of getting some new wheels for the
> galaxy and was maybe thinking XT hubs and 28mm Mavic openpro rims for
> something a tad speedier than 719's. LBS built last set (XT hubs and
> 719's) and wasn't overly impressed. Just idly musing, any
> recommendations for a sturdy, rough stuff capable but light rim?
>
> Are there any nice hubs with cartridge bearings, I like the idea of
> those.
>
> While I'm about it, how hard would it be to fit disc compatible forks
> to a 2005 ultra galaxy and fit a front disc brake compatible with STI
> levers? Anyone done it? Suggestions, if possible, for likely hubs?

For the hub, what about something from BETD/Goldtec, eg their touring
disc hub:
http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=42&Name=Goldtec+Touring+hubs
They're not the cheapest hubs, but they do quite reasonably priced and
decent quality wheelbuilds. I think one of those hubs built up with an
Open Pro rim or similar would do nicely.

David Damerell
April 22nd 08, 01:47 PM
Quoting Tim Dunne >:
[cartridge bearing hubs]
>Cheers. Would I be correct in thinking that they're a lot less hassle and
>more corrosion resistant?

Cartridge bearing hubs are certainly a lot less hassle if - like me - you
can only adjust a cup and cone bearing with endless fiddling.
--
David Damerell > flcl?
Today is Stilday, April - a weekend.

Google