PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist special hubs

Kerry Montgomery
April 26th 08, 12:26 AM
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
how would you recommend lacing these?

April 26th 08, 01:30 AM
On Apr 25, 6:26 pm, "Kerry Montgomery" > wrote:
> http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
> how would you recommend lacing these?

Well, it looks like the first thing you'd have to do would be to
locate some 38 hole rims.

Those are SCARCE.

Lewis.

*****

Mark
April 26th 08, 02:22 AM
Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
> how would you recommend lacing these?

I'd go with the artsy 3-leading, 3-trailing, of course with one instance
of 4-trailing on each side.

It is imperative that that be 4 /trailing/, or else you wheel will warp,
your tires go flat, and your belly button fall off.

PS - be sure to lubricate the spokes with freshly churned buffalo
butterfat chilled to precisely 2 degrees C. To keep it from warming
before the wheel is finished, it is best to perform the wheel building
in a walk-in refrigerator.

Hope that helps,

Mark J.

landotter
April 26th 08, 02:34 AM
On Apr 25, 6:26 pm, "Kerry Montgomery" > wrote:
> http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
> how would you recommend lacing these?

to a common 37H rim.

Chalo
April 26th 08, 02:49 AM
Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
> how would you recommend lacing these?

Didn't one of the better-selling Mavic front wheels come with 19
spokes? Just use one of those inexpensive and commonly available
replacement rims and skip every second hole in the hub.

Chalo

jim beam
April 26th 08, 03:20 AM
Chalo wrote:
> Kerry Montgomery wrote:
>> http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
>> how would you recommend lacing these?
>
> Didn't one of the better-selling Mavic front wheels come with 19
> spokes? Just use one of those inexpensive and commonly available
> replacement rims and skip every second hole in the hub.
>
> Chalo

but 19 is a prime number...

April 26th 08, 03:59 AM
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:26:33 -0700, "Kerry Montgomery"
> wrote:

>http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
>how would you recommend lacing these?

Dear Kerry,

Radial works for 34-spoke rims:
http://i19.tinypic.com/6bwj72t.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Chalo
April 26th 08, 08:11 AM
jim beam wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> >>
> >>http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
> >> how would you recommend lacing these?
>
> > Didn't one of the better-selling Mavic front wheels come with 19
> > spokes? Just use one of those inexpensive and commonly available
> > replacement rims and skip every second hole in the hub.
>
> but 19 is a prime number...

A Mavic factory wheel is a prime product. Just ask any salesperson at
your local cycling boutique.

Chalo

jim beam
April 26th 08, 04:16 PM
Chalo wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Chalo wrote:
>>> Didn't one of the better-selling Mavic front wheels come with 19
>>> spokes? Just use one of those inexpensive and commonly available
>>> replacement rims and skip every second hole in the hub.
>> but 19 is a prime number...
>
> A Mavic factory wheel is a prime product. Just ask any salesperson at
> your local cycling boutique.
>
> Chalo

but with a total of 19 spokes, that an un-equal number on each side.
spokes need to be 1:1 [or maybe 2:1 if dished]. i know of no wire
spoked wheels deviating from this ratio, not even mavic.

Chalo
April 26th 08, 05:39 PM
jim beam wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > jim beam wrote:

> >> but 19 is a prime number...
>
> > A Mavic factory wheel is a prime product. Just ask any salesperson at
> > your local cycling boutique.
>
> but with a total of 19 spokes, that an un-equal number on each side.
> spokes need to be 1:1 [or maybe 2:1 if dished]. i know of no wire
> spoked wheels deviating from this ratio, not even mavic.

I'm telling you, Mavic's goes to eleven. Or in this case, nineteen.

That's what makes it unique, patented, laterally stiff yet vertically
compliant, unprecedentedly aerodynamic, vibration-damping, powerfully
erotic, and all the other wonderful things we have come to expect from
that company in recent years. How would the spokes be able to operate
in both tension and compression if there were some tiresomely mundane
_even_ number of them?

Chalo

landotter
April 26th 08, 06:47 PM
On Apr 26, 11:39 am, Chalo > wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
> > Chalo wrote:

> > > A Mavic factory wheel is a prime product. Just ask any salesperson at
> > > your local cycling boutique.
>
> > but with a total of 19 spokes, that an un-equal number on each side.
> > spokes need to be 1:1 [or maybe 2:1 if dished]. i know of no wire
> > spoked wheels deviating from this ratio, not even mavic.
>
> I'm telling you, Mavic's goes to eleven. Or in this case, nineteen.
>
> That's what makes it unique, patented, laterally stiff yet vertically
> compliant, unprecedentedly aerodynamic, vibration-damping, powerfully
> erotic, and all the other wonderful things we have come to expect from
> that company in recent years. How would the spokes be able to operate
> in both tension and compression if there were some tiresomely mundane
> _even_ number of them?

I think it's the same force that pops up the next Kleenex, but you
might want to write Fermilab.

A Muzi
April 29th 08, 08:15 PM
Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/655490726.html
> how would you recommend lacing these?

It depends on whether his typo meant '36' or '48'
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Google