PDA

View Full Version : Cycling to Heathrow T5

icogs
April 29th 08, 02:35 PM
Are there any bike-parking facilities at T5? Also, what is the best
route coming from the eastern end of the airport? I have to meet my
brother on Saturday to pick up some documents before he catches his
connecting flight and I am considering whether to use bike or tube.

Clive George
April 29th 08, 02:41 PM
"icogs" > wrote in message
> Are there any bike-parking facilities at T5? Also, what is the best
> route coming from the eastern end of the airport? I have to meet my
> brother on Saturday to pick up some documents before he catches his
> connecting flight and I am considering whether to use bike or tube.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID=3b59508dcbc83110VgnVCM10000036 821c0a____&CtID=448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____&ChPath=Heathrow^Terminal5^To%20and%20from%20Heathr ow^Bicycles&location=Terminal5

www.heathrowairport.com

Choose "To and from Heathrow". Choose "Bicycles" on the left hand pane.
Choose T5. That's it :-)

(hey, bizarre - it actually looks pretty helpful!)

cheers,
clive

naked_draughtsman[_3_]
April 29th 08, 06:52 PM
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:41:15 +0100, Clive George wrote:
> http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID=3b59508dcbc83110VgnVCM10000036 821c0a____&CtID=448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____&ChPath=Heathrow^Terminal5^To%20and%20from%20Heathr ow^Bicycles&location=Terminal5
>
> www.heathrowairport.com
>
> Choose "To and from Heathrow". Choose "Bicycles" on the left hand pane.
> Choose T5. That's it :-)
>
> (hey, bizarre - it actually looks pretty helpful!)

"Bikes can also be safely stored in the left baggage office in the
terminal for up to 90 days."

Now that's a good idea. It doesn't say if it's free or not though.

peter

Terry
April 29th 08, 07:13 PM
In article >,
(naked_draughtsman) wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:41:15 +0100, Clive George wrote:
> >

> http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID
> =3b59508dcbc83110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____&CtID=448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVC
> M200000357e120a____&ChPath=Heathrow^Terminal5^To%20and%20from%20Heat
> hrow^Bicycles&location=Terminal5
> >
> > www.heathrowairport.com
> >
> > Choose "To and from Heathrow". Choose "Bicycles" on the left hand
> > pane. Choose T5. That's it :-)
> >
> > (hey, bizarre - it actually looks pretty helpful!)
>
> "Bikes can also be safely stored in the left baggage office in the
> terminal for up to 90 days."
>
> Now that's a good idea. It doesn't say if it's free or not though.

It does if you click on the link.

naked_draughtsman[_3_]
April 29th 08, 07:55 PM
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:13:00 +0100, Terry wrote:

> In article >,
> (naked_draughtsman) wrote:

>> Now that's a good idea. It doesn't say if it's free or not though.
>
> It does if you click on the link.

So it does!
£6.50 seems a lot, but I suppose when compared to the car parking prices
it's ok.

peter

Tom Crispin
April 29th 08, 08:20 PM
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:55:40 -0500, naked_draughtsman
> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:13:00 +0100, Terry wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> (naked_draughtsman) wrote:
>
>>> Now that's a good idea. It doesn't say if it's free or not though.
>>
>> It does if you click on the link.
>
>So it does!
>£6.50 seems a lot, but I suppose when compared to the car parking prices
>it's ok.

Does it cost £585 to park a car for 90 days in a long term car park?
No. The cost is under £200.

Pete
April 29th 08, 08:48 PM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:55:40 -0500, naked_draughtsman
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:13:00 +0100, Terry wrote:

>>> It does if you click on the link.
>> So it does!
>> £6.50 seems a lot, but I suppose when compared to the car parking prices
>> it's ok.
>
> Does it cost £585 to park a car for 90 days in a long term car park?
> No. The cost is under £200.

Well, it says it's free at either end of the terminal. That's somewhat
cheaper than both the short stay and long stay.

How much to park a car inside the terminal?

Pete

TimHenderson
April 29th 08, 08:57 PM
On 29 Apr, 14:35, icogs > wrote:
> Are there any bike-parking facilities at T5? Also, what is the best
> route coming from the eastern end of the airport? I have to meet my
> brother on Saturday to pick up some documents before he catches his
> connecting flight and I am considering whether to use bike or tube.

I went for a sight-seeing trip last Sunday afternoon.
I used the Northern Perimeter road to get there following the
signposts to T5 (but the white paint road markings still only say
"CARGO"). I would not reccommend it !

Coming back I used the bus/bike only route that links this perimeter
road to the roundabout on the A3044 and then through the pleasant
village of Longford (hadn't appreciated the thatched house there
before) on the Old Bath Road before it got to the modern road where
the Bath Road joins the Colnbrook bypass. Then back along the off-road/
shared with pedestrian (but there aren't any apart from a few bus-
stops) bike path along the Bath Road. More interesting and preferable
to the perimeter road for me.

The bike-paths / pavements at the North End of T5 lead directly to a
small-ish covered bike shed ? space for 50 bikes ?) that is next to
one of the best bits of the terminal I saw for "land-side" sightseers.
This was the comparatively attractive "smokers area" (well that is
what is was used for) with good raised ovals of box hedge and tall
trees in a glass-sided canyon with T5 on one side and its associated
car-parks on the other. Doors lead directly into the Arrivals area
(which seemed pretty boring and semi-squalid). Signage to indicate
what is a bike-path and where it may lead to was disgracefully lacking
last weekend !

The tube and Heathrow Express arrive two floors below ground floor
(which makes life interesting when you arrive as Departures are three
floors above ground floor - you are advised not to use escalators to
get to departures, but to take the lift. There are four of them and
they do work at the stations (lifts don't work in the terminal
itself !) but that doesn't really satisfy the demand when the trains
arrive disgorging their passengers !).

The departures hall on the top floor is worth seeing and that is the
other bit I liked - but amazingly empty on a Sunday afternoon -
perhaps no-one wants to fly in or out of T5 these days.

Tom Crispin
April 29th 08, 09:17 PM
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:48:55 GMT, Pete
> wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:55:40 -0500, naked_draughtsman
>> > wrote:

>>> So it does!
>>> £6.50 seems a lot, but I suppose when compared to the car parking prices
>>> it's ok.
>>
>> Does it cost £585 to park a car for 90 days in a long term car park?
>> No. The cost is under £200.
>
>Well, it says it's free at either end of the terminal. That's somewhat
>cheaper than both the short stay and long stay.
>
>How much to park a car inside the terminal?

It will cost you your life.
http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/wpn_glawgow6_070702_ssh.jpg

Terry
April 29th 08, 11:26 PM
In article >,
(Tom Crispin) wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:48:55 GMT, Pete
> > wrote:
>
> >Tom Crispin wrote:
> >> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:55:40 -0500, naked_draughtsman

> though.
> parking prices
> >>
> >> Does it cost £585 to park a car for 90 days in a long term car
> park?
> >> No. The cost is under £200.
> >
> >Well, it says it's free at either end of the terminal. That's
> >somewhat cheaper than both the short stay and long stay.
> >
> >How much to park a car inside the terminal?
>
> It will cost you your life.
> http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/wpn_glawgow6_070702_ssh.jp

To be fair, one cannot expect to flout the terminal's no-smoking policy
with impunity.

POHB
April 30th 08, 08:29 AM
On 29 Apr, 14:35, icogs > wrote:
> Are there any bike-parking facilities at T5?

I was recently impressed at Nice airport, they provide an area with a
workstand for you to rebuild your bike after retrieving it from
baggage.

Jim Ley
April 30th 08, 10:12 AM
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:48:55 GMT, Pete
> wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:55:40 -0500, naked_draughtsman
>> > wrote:

>>> So it does!
>>> £6.50 seems a lot, but I suppose when compared to the car parking prices
>>> it's ok.
>>
>> Does it cost £585 to park a car for 90 days in a long term car park?
>> No. The cost is under £200.
>
>Well, it says it's free at either end of the terminal. That's somewhat
>cheaper than both the short stay and long stay.

Totally, if you're not happy to leave your bike outside for some time,
in a pretty secure area, I've left mine at T4 many times, it's covered
by CCTV, there's the obvious heavy police presence. For a couple of
days it's probably not a bad option at 6:50 a day, certainly as cheap
as any of the car parking options.

>How much to park a car inside the terminal?

89 quid for 48 hours, it's impossible to park it longer than that.

Nicely though, it is free for under 2 hours unlike the other
terminals, so good for picking people up.

Jim.

Pete
April 30th 08, 01:34 PM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:48:55 GMT, Pete
> > wrote:
>
>> Tom Crispin wrote:
>>> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:55:40 -0500, naked_draughtsman

>>> Does it cost £585 to park a car for 90 days in a long term car park?
>>> No. The cost is under £200.
>> Well, it says it's free at either end of the terminal. That's somewhat
>> cheaper than both the short stay and long stay.
>>
>> How much to park a car inside the terminal?
>
> It will cost you your life.
> http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/wpn_glawgow6_070702_ssh.jpg

ROFL!

Pete