PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Shimano "F" Hub apart?

Ramer W. Streed
April 30th 08, 03:00 AM
I have several Shimano 3 speed "F" Hubs that need to be disassembled
cleaned and lubed. I purchased the Shimano Ball cup tool. Both Glenn's
and Sutherland's make it sound like you just screw off the right hand
ball cup. I have the hub clamped in a block of hardwood with a hose
clamp to stop it from rotating. It still slips in the block. These are
hubs with out the rim so I do not have the rim to pull on, but the force
I am using seem way more than any spoke would with stand.

How do I get the ball cup to unscrew? Any recommendations will be
appreciated.

Ramer

A Muzi
April 30th 08, 03:08 AM
Ramer W. Streed wrote:
> I have several Shimano 3 speed "F" Hubs that need to be disassembled
> cleaned and lubed. I purchased the Shimano Ball cup tool. Both Glenn's
> and Sutherland's make it sound like you just screw off the right hand
> ball cup. I have the hub clamped in a block of hardwood with a hose
> clamp to stop it from rotating. It still slips in the block. These are
> hubs with out the rim so I do not have the rim to pull on, but the force
> I am using seem way more than any spoke would with stand.
>
> How do I get the ball cup to unscrew? Any recommendations will be
> appreciated.

Drop in a few spokes and hold the hubshell in a vise by clamping those
spokes tightly. Use a wood block to keep the flange from getting marked
on the top of the vise jaw. You should be able to get it free. There
are small notches on the outside of that cup. Once it's positioned and
you have some wrench pressure on that cup tool, have an assistant knock
the cup counterclockwise with a punch.

It's trivially quick when the hub is in a wheel.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Ramer W. Streed
June 24th 08, 12:28 AM
A Muzi wrote:
> Ramer W. Streed wrote:
>
>> I have several Shimano 3 speed "F" Hubs that need to be disassembled
>> cleaned and lubed. I purchased the Shimano Ball cup tool. Both Glenn's
>> and Sutherland's make it sound like you just screw off the right hand
>> ball cup. I have the hub clamped in a block of hardwood with a hose
>> clamp to stop it from rotating. It still slips in the block. These are
>> hubs with out the rim so I do not have the rim to pull on, but the
>> force I am using seem way more than any spoke would with stand.
>>
>> How do I get the ball cup to unscrew? Any recommendations will be
>> appreciated.
>

> Drop in a few spokes and hold the hubshell in a vise by clamping those
> spokes tightly. Use a wood block to keep the flange from getting marked
> on the top of the vise jaw. You should be able to get it free. There
> are small notches on the outside of that cup. Once it's positioned and
> you have some wrench pressure on that cup tool, have an assistant knock
> the cup counterclockwise with a punch.
>
> It's trivially quick when the hub is in a wheel.

I have a hub so badly stuct that with 4 screws instead of spokes into a
1/4" plate of steel I still cannot get it loose. So I do not think it is
triviall.

A Muzi
June 24th 08, 02:40 AM

Ramer W. Streed wrote:
> I have a hub so badly stuct that with 4 screws instead of spokes into a
> 1/4" plate of steel I still cannot get it loose. So I do not think it is
> triviall.

You're right. As I noted, in a wheel it's no trouble at all.

Use a punch and hammer, strike a purposeful, firm blow. It will move.
You want impact more then torque. In a poor setup (anything not in a
built wheel), the ball race tool won't break a rusty race from the rusty
hubshell. A nice massive 11-inch punch driven by a 14 or 16 oz hammer will.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ramer W. Streed
July 18th 08, 03:01 AM
A Muzi wrote:
> Ramer W. Streed wrote:
>
>> I have several Shimano 3 speed "F" Hubs that need to be disassembled
>> cleaned and lubed. I purchased the Shimano Ball cup tool. Both Glenn's
>> and Sutherland's make it sound like you just screw off the right hand
>> ball cup. I have the hub clamped in a block of hardwood with a hose
>> clamp to stop it from rotating. It still slips in the block. These are
>> hubs with out the rim so I do not have the rim to pull on, but the
>> force I am using seem way more than any spoke would with stand.
>>
>> How do I get the ball cup to unscrew? Any recommendations will be
>> appreciated.
>

> Drop in a few spokes and hold the hubshell in a vise by clamping those
> spokes tightly. Use a wood block to keep the flange from getting marked
> on the top of the vise jaw. You should be able to get it free. There
> are small notches on the outside of that cup. Once it's positioned and
> you have some wrench pressure on that cup tool, have an assistant knock
> the cup counterclockwise with a punch.
>
> It's trivially quick when the hub is in a wheel.

I have one that is so stuck that when i bolted it to a 1/4" plate of
steel with 4 4-40 screws the screws sheared off when I gave the wrench a
sharp whack with a hammer. Bummer.

Now even with stainless steel cap screws I still can't get it apart.
Have taken another apart, so i am doing it right. Someone put locktite
or this one is rusted together.

A Muzi
July 18th 08, 04:42 AM

Ramer W. Streed wrote:
> I have one that is so stuck that when i bolted it to a 1/4" plate of
> steel with 4 4-40 screws the screws sheared off when I gave the wrench a
> sharp whack with a hammer. Bummer.
>
> Now even with stainless steel cap screws I still can't get it apart.
> Have taken another apart, so i am doing it right. Someone put locktite
> or this one is rusted together.

Ouch. Sounds tough. Another approach is a thrift store where bikes with
that gearbox are usually between $10 and $30. Just about anyone who
deals in used bikes will usually have a few wheels with one. Since you
only need the gearbox a wrecked wheel doesn't matter.

Or just get a dozen or more spokes into the semblance of a wheel, enough
to get a good grasp at the rim with your removal tool in a vise.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971