PDA

View Full Version : how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag

May 1st 08, 01:14 AM
how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag

i have an under-seat bag
it;s fairly rigid
i keep a spare tube in there

several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
what

i even put it in a little velvet bag and that still happened

the hole is kind of slit-like yet v-shaped too

hard to describe

i assume it has something to do with the constant vibration from the
bike
[regular road bike]

so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
hole?

wle.

Jay Beattie
May 1st 08, 02:03 AM
On Apr 30, 5:39*pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag
>
> > ..
>
> > i have an under-seat bag
> > it;s fairly rigid
> > i keep a spare tube in there
>
> > several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
> > i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
> > what
>
> > i even put it in a little velvet bag and that still happened
>
> > the hole is kind of slit-like yet v-shaped too
>
> > hard to describe
>
> > i assume it has something to do with the constant vibration *from the
> > bike
> > [regular road bike]
>
> > so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
> > hole?
>
> Family newsgroup, buddy.
>
> (Sorry, it's been a while!)
>
> One thing I do is remove the little rubber band thing, as I can imagine it
> rubbing the tube thin after a long while. *I also usually put the tube in a
> plastic baggy of some sort, just to have a buffer between it and my chain
> tool and tire lever(s).
>
> Best idea is to do an incantation over the saddle before each ride. *Someone
> try it and let us know how it works out fer ya...

And remember to keep it zipped! I was riding around last weekend,
rolling down a hill when my pedals locked up. It turned out my tube
had fallen out of the seat pack and gotten wrapped around the cassette
and pulled in to the derailleur. I had left my seat pack open when I
got a multi-tool out ealier to adjust my seat height. Luckily it
didn't lock up the wheel. -- Jay Beattie.

Peter Cole[_2_]
May 1st 08, 03:27 AM
wrote:
> how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag
>
> ..
>
> i have an under-seat bag
> it;s fairly rigid
> i keep a spare tube in there
>
> several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
> i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
> what
>
> i even put it in a little velvet bag and that still happened
>
> the hole is kind of slit-like yet v-shaped too
>
> hard to describe
>
> i assume it has something to do with the constant vibration from the
> bike
> [regular road bike]
>
> so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
> hole?
>
> wle.

Some bags have a strap that squeezes the bag to keep things from
rattling around.

May 1st 08, 03:28 AM
On Apr 30, 10:27 pm, Peter Cole > wrote:
> wrote:
> > how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag
>
> > ..
>
> > i have an under-seat bag
> > it;s fairly rigid
> > i keep a spare tube in there
>
> > several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
> > i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
> > what
>
> > i even put it in a little velvet bag and that still happened
>
> > the hole is kind of slit-like yet v-shaped too
>
> > hard to describe
>
> > i assume it has something to do with the constant vibration from the
> > bike
> > [regular road bike]
>
> > so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
> > hole?
>
> > wle.
>
> Some bags have a strap that squeezes the bag to keep things from
> rattling around.

i think undue pressure might add to the problem though

wle.

Kerry Montgomery
May 1st 08, 05:27 AM
> wrote in message
> On Apr 30, 10:27 pm, Peter Cole > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag
>>
>> > ..
>>
>> > i have an under-seat bag
>> > it;s fairly rigid
>> > i keep a spare tube in there
>>
>> > several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
>> > i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
>> > what
>>
>> > i even put it in a little velvet bag and that still happened
>>
>> > the hole is kind of slit-like yet v-shaped too
>>
>> > hard to describe
>>
>> > i assume it has something to do with the constant vibration from the
>> > bike
>> > [regular road bike]
>>
>> > so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
>> > hole?
>>
>> > wle.
>>
>> Some bags have a strap that squeezes the bag to keep things from
>> rattling around.
>
> i think undue pressure might add to the problem though
>
> wle.

I put mine in an old sock.

May 1st 08, 08:38 AM
On Apr 30, 9:27*pm, "Kerry Montgomery" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >> Some bags have a strap that squeezes the bag to keep things from
> >> rattling around.
>
> > i think undue pressure might add to the problem though
>
> > wle.
>
> I put mine in an old sock.

I cut a piece out of an old Fedex or Priority Mail Tyvek
envelope and make a little bag out of it with tape
or glue to hold the spare tube. The stuff is really strong.
Tools and what-not will wear a hole in an ordinary
plastic bag, but not Tyvek. I also carry some little
squares of it to use as tire boots as needed.

Ben

Lou Holtman
May 1st 08, 09:27 AM
wrote:
> how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag
>
> ..
>
> i have an under-seat bag
> it;s fairly rigid
> i keep a spare tube in there
>
> several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
> i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
> what
>
> i even put it in a little velvet bag and that still happened
>
> the hole is kind of slit-like yet v-shaped too
>
> hard to describe
>
> i assume it has something to do with the constant vibration from the
> bike
> [regular road bike]
>
> so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
> hole?
>
> wle.

Get rid of the tools. ;-)
Do you put the plastic cap on the presta valve?
There are saddle bags with a separate tool compartment (Specialized).

Lou

Art Harris
May 1st 08, 01:27 PM
"wle" wrote:
> i have an under-seat bag
> i keep a spare tube in there
>
> several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
> i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
> what
>
> so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
> hole?

I put my spare tube in a small plastic freezer bag. It's tough enough
to prevent other things in the seat bag from damaging the tube.

Art Harris

landotter
May 1st 08, 02:50 PM
On May 1, 7:27 am, Art Harris > wrote:
> "wle" wrote:
> > i have an under-seat bag
> > i keep a spare tube in there
>
> > several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
> > i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
> > what
>
> > so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
> > hole?
>
> I put my spare tube in a small plastic freezer bag. It's tough enough
> to prevent other things in the seat bag from damaging the tube.

Same here, tube, levers and patch kit go in a plastic bag. However,
I've had tubes rolled up and junking around in the bottom of messenger
bags, tool buckets, and whatnot with never a failure, just some
schmutz accumulation.

BCDrums
May 1st 08, 03:57 PM
Art Harris wrote:
> "wle" wrote:
>> i have an under-seat bag
>> i keep a spare tube in there
>>
>> several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
>> i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
>> what
>>
>> so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
>> hole?
>>

> I put my spare tube in a small plastic freezer bag. It's tough enough
> to prevent other things in the seat bag from damaging the tube.
>
> Art Harris

I leave the tube in the box it came in. If it's a patched (i.e. not
new)tube, I roll it up and put it in a box.

BC

Peter Cole[_2_]
May 1st 08, 06:03 PM
wrote:
> On Apr 30, 10:27 pm, Peter Cole > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag
>>> ..
>>> i have an under-seat bag
>>> it;s fairly rigid
>>> i keep a spare tube in there
>>> several times when i need a spare tube [every 2-3 months maybe], when
>>> i get it out, the thing has had a hole rubbed into it by god knows
>>> what
>>> i even put it in a little velvet bag and that still happened
>>> the hole is kind of slit-like yet v-shaped too
>>> hard to describe
>>> i assume it has something to do with the constant vibration from the
>>> bike
>>> [regular road bike]
>>> so how does one store a tube so that it doesn;t get a spontaneous
>>> hole?
>>> wle.
>> Some bags have a strap that squeezes the bag to keep things from
>> rattling around.
>
> i think undue pressure might add to the problem though
>
> wle.

Actually, the bag I have (Zefal, under-the-seat) has loops on the top &
bottom with a drawstring and a cinch lock. I used to have the problem
with tools wearing holes in tubes. I used to put tubes in a sock, but
since getting this bag (years ago) haven't found that necessary. IOW, it
fixed the problem.

May 1st 08, 07:17 PM
On Apr 30, 7:14 pm, " > wrote:
> how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag
ag and that still happened

> the hole is kind of slit-like yet v-shaped too

Could be the valve top if the tube is folded around it, as is common
with a new tube. To avoid this, be sure to retain the plastic valve
cap in place.

Davy Haynes

Leo Lichtman
May 2nd 08, 06:21 AM
"Peter Cole" wrote: Some bags have a strap that squeezes the bag to keep
things from
> rattling around.
How about packing the tube in the bag in such a way that the valve stem
sticks out with the zipper closed on it? This will prevent the stem from
abrading the tube and--then slightly inflate the tube so it can't vibrate
against things inside the bag.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home