PDA

View Full Version : Five nines

Brendan Halpin
May 2nd 08, 09:39 AM
Somewhat silly, but I'm inordinately pleased to arrive at work today
with the odometer function of my bike computer reading 9999.9.

I've done many 10s of thousands of kilometres, but this is the first
time I've had one of these last long enough to fill up.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

Colin McKenzie
May 2nd 08, 10:47 AM
Brendan Halpin wrote:
> Somewhat silly, but I'm inordinately pleased to arrive at work today
> with the odometer function of my bike computer reading 9999.9.
> I've done many 10s of thousands of kilometres, but this is the first
> time I've had one of these last long enough to fill up.

Something requiring your full attention will happen within 100m of
your leaving work, and you'll miss the changeover to 10000.0 (or 0000.0?).

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Henry Lockwood
May 2nd 08, 03:47 PM
On 2 May, 10:47, Colin McKenzie > wrote:
> Brendan Halpin wrote:
> > Somewhat silly, but I'm inordinately pleased to arrive at work today
> > with the odometer function of my bike computer reading 9999.9.
> > I've done many 10s of thousands of kilometres, but this is the first
> > time I've had one of these last long enough to fill up.
>
> Something requiring your full attention will happen within 100m of
> your leaving work, and you'll miss the changeover to 10000.0 (or 0000.0?).
>
> Colin McKenzie

Alternatively, some reader of this NG with too much time on their
hands on a Friday afternoon will sneak up to your bike and spin the
front wheel a few dozen times ;-)

Henry L

killermike[_5_]
May 2nd 08, 09:57 PM
Brendan Halpin wrote:
> Somewhat silly, but I'm inordinately pleased to arrive at work today
> with the odometer function of my bike computer reading 9999.9.
>
> I've done many 10s of thousands of kilometres, but this is the first
> time I've had one of these last long enough to fill up.

The real challenge will the 10,000 miles that you now have to do backwards.

--
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, writing, music, gender, geek sitcom

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home