PDA

View Full Version : a "different" training provider

Clive George
May 7th 08, 01:50 PM
Some might find this amusing :-)

http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm

cheers,
clive

Peter Clinch
May 7th 08, 01:59 PM
Clive George wrote:
> Some might find this amusing :-)
>
> http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm

Good for them... though I'd say their leaflet isn't as good as ours, and
the lad in the white shirt on the grey hybrid has his saddle set rather
too low.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Mark[_3_]
May 7th 08, 02:46 PM
On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:59:09 +0100, Peter Clinch
> wrote:

>Clive George wrote:
>> Some might find this amusing :-)
>>
>> http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm
>
>Good for them... though I'd say their leaflet isn't as good as ours, and
> the lad in the white shirt on the grey hybrid has his saddle set rather
>too low.

Which hybrid? I can't see any pictures of cyclists on there!

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Paul Boyd
May 7th 08, 03:06 PM
Mark said the following on 07/05/2008 14:46:

> Which hybrid? I can't see any pictures of cyclists on there!

Oh good! I thought it was just me that's gone blind!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Slark[_2_]
May 7th 08, 03:17 PM
Clive George wrote:
> Some might find this amusing :-)
>
> http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm
>
> cheers,
> clive

Does anybody know to what compentency they train to? Is it based on
Cyclecraft e.g.? Also, do they have a position on h*****s?

Graham

Peter Clinch
May 7th 08, 03:40 PM
Mark wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:59:09 +0100, Peter Clinch
> > wrote:
>
>> Clive George wrote:
>>> Some might find this amusing :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm
>> Good for them... though I'd say their leaflet isn't as good as ours, and
>> the lad in the white shirt on the grey hybrid has his saddle set rather
>> too low.
>
> Which hybrid? I can't see any pictures of cyclists on there!

The one on their leaflet (which isn't as good as ours): surf around a
little and find
http://www.iam.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/5C52B8FA-2F58-411F-BEE2-EECA7CA45CDE/0/EmplyslfltRev3Jun07.pdf

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Paul Boyd
May 7th 08, 03:44 PM
Peter Clinch said the following on 07/05/2008 15:40:

> The one on their leaflet (which isn't as good as ours): surf around a
> little and find
> http://www.iam.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/5C52B8FA-2F58-411F-BEE2-EECA7CA45CDE/0/EmplyslfltRev3Jun07.pdf

....for which I'm being asked for a username and password! They don't
make it easy, do they?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Peter Clinch
May 7th 08, 04:16 PM
Paul Boyd wrote:
> Peter Clinch said the following on 07/05/2008 15:40:
>
>> The one on their leaflet (which isn't as good as ours): surf around a
>> little and find
>> http://www.iam.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/5C52B8FA-2F58-411F-BEE2-EECA7CA45CDE/0/EmplyslfltRev3Jun07.pdf
>>

> ...for which I'm being asked for a username and password! They don't
> make it easy, do they?

Oh, I never got that...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Mark[_3_]
May 7th 08, 04:32 PM
On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:40:41 +0100, Peter Clinch
> wrote:

>Mark wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:59:09 +0100, Peter Clinch
>> > wrote:

>>> Good for them... though I'd say their leaflet isn't as good as ours, and
>>> the lad in the white shirt on the grey hybrid has his saddle set rather
>>> too low.
>>
>> Which hybrid? I can't see any pictures of cyclists on there!
>
>The one on their leaflet (which isn't as good as ours): surf around a
>little and find
>http://www.iam.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/5C52B8FA-2F58-411F-BEE2-EECA7CA45CDE/0/EmplyslfltRev3Jun07.pdf

The saddles look too low for both trainees IMHO. This is a particular
bugbear of mine. You may recall the thread "Cycling at schools - Bike
size/saddle height".

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Martin Dann
May 7th 08, 05:19 PM
Slark wrote:
> Clive George wrote:
>> Some might find this amusing :-)
>>
>> http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm
>>
>> cheers,
>> clive
>
> Does anybody know to what compentency they train to? Is it based on
> Cyclecraft e.g.? Also, do they have a position on h*****s?
>
> Graham

From the leaflet:
"Apart from waterproofs (if you’re happy to cycle in all weathers), we
do not recommend any special clothing for cycling.
We do, however, recommend wearing a cycling helmet, but accept that as
it is not
a legal requirement this is a matter of personal choice."

So they don't recomend wearing gloves, cylcing shoes, clothing that
won't get caught up in the bike, hi-vis gear at night, but do think you
should wear a MFH.

Martin.

Slark[_2_]
May 7th 08, 05:23 PM
Martin Dann wrote:

> Slark wrote:
>> Clive George wrote:
>>> Some might find this amusing :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> clive
>>
>> Does anybody know to what compentency they train to? Is it based on
>> Cyclecraft e.g.? Also, do they have a position on h*****s?
>>
>> Graham
>

> From the leaflet:
> "Apart from waterproofs (if you’re happy to cycle in all weathers), we
> do not recommend any special clothing for cycling.
> We do, however, recommend wearing a cycling helmet, but accept that as
> it is not
> a legal requirement this is a matter of personal choice."
>

> So they don't recomend wearing gloves, cylcing shoes, clothing that
> won't get caught up in the bike, hi-vis gear at night, but do think you
> should wear a MFH.
>
> Martin.

Ah - I missed that. Thanks Martin.

Graham

Tom Crispin
May 7th 08, 07:16 PM
On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:17:10 +0100, Slark >
wrote:

>Clive George wrote:
>> Some might find this amusing :-)
>>
>> http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm
>>
>> cheers,
>> clive
>
>Does anybody know to what compentency they train to? Is it based on
>Cyclecraft e.g.? Also, do they have a position on h*****s?

They train to the National Standards. They appear not to be
accredited Bikeability training providers.

Slark[_2_]
May 7th 08, 07:48 PM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:17:10 +0100, Slark >
> wrote:
>
>> Clive George wrote:
>>> Some might find this amusing :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> clive
>> Does anybody know to what compentency they train to? Is it based on
>> Cyclecraft e.g.? Also, do they have a position on h*****s?
>
> They train to the National Standards. They appear not to be
> accredited Bikeability training providers.

Thanks Tom - that's useful information.

Graham

May 8th 08, 11:20 AM
On May 7, 7:16 pm, Tom Crispin >
wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:17:10 +0100, Slark >
> wrote:
>
> >Clive George wrote:
> >> Some might find this amusing :-)
>
> >>http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/IAM+Wheels/Cycle+Training.htm
>
> >> cheers,
> >> clive
>
> >Does anybody know to what compentency they train to? Is it based on
> >Cyclecraft e.g.? Also, do they have a position on h*****s?
>
> They train to the National Standards. They appear not to be
> accredited Bikeability training providers.

The leaflet said the training is provided in association with Cycle
Training UK

best wishes
james

Ian Jackson
May 8th 08, 12:41 PM
In article >,
Martin Dann > wrote:
>So they don't recomend wearing gloves, cylcing shoes, clothing that
>won't get caught up in the bike, hi-vis gear at night,

Quite right too. If I'm off to that kind of formal event I will ride
in my DJ - formal shoes and all (and academic gown if it suits the the
event and the weather). I will refrain from putting on my tie until
I've arrived.

If I had the misfortune to have to commute in a suit I would probably
just ride in my shirt and bundle the suit jacket in my pannier (unless
the weather was really hot perhaps). Obviously that typically means
not pushing so hard so as to avoid getting too nasty and sweaty, but
it makes for a much more satisfying journey over all.

I realise that this view may be difficult to accept for the serious
cyclists here, but I do think that this idea that you should have to
wear special clothes for ordinary utility cycling is unhelpful. A
cycle trip has to be quite long before it's worth the faff of carrying
a change of clothing.

Hi-vis is a more complex question, but I hope we can all agree that we
would prefer to live in a world where ordinary cycling doesn't involve
having to wear hi-vis.

--
Ian Jackson personal email: >
These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/

Rob Morley
May 8th 08, 01:15 PM
In article >, Ian Jackson
says...

> I realise that this view may be difficult to accept for the serious
> cyclists here, but I do think that this idea that you should have to
> wear special clothes for ordinary utility cycling is unhelpful. A
> cycle trip has to be quite long before it's worth the faff of carrying
> a change of clothing.

Indeed - the scheme is aimed at employers who probably won't want to
deal with the hassle of washing/changing/clothes-drying facilities, and
I don't think it really threatens to swell the ranks of CTC/AUK:
"CycleRide Plus prepares you for more complex challenges. These include:
turning right on multi-lane roads, and negotiating roundabouts, traffic
lights and traffic filters"

Tom Crispin
May 8th 08, 05:22 PM
On Thu, 8 May 2008 03:20:26 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On May 7, 7:16 pm, Tom Crispin >
>wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:17:10 +0100, Slark >
>> wrote:

>> >Does anybody know to what compentency they train to? Is it based on
>> >Cyclecraft e.g.? Also, do they have a position on h*****s?
>>
>> They train to the National Standards. They appear not to be
>> accredited Bikeability training providers.
>
>The leaflet said the training is provided in association with Cycle
>Training UK

CTUK certainly is an accredited Bikeability provider. Perhaps they
prefer not to use that brand when targetting adult customers.

Martin[_2_]
May 8th 08, 11:42 PM
Ian Jackson wrote:
> In article >,
> Martin Dann > wrote:
>> So they don't recomend wearing gloves, cylcing shoes, clothing that
>> won't get caught up in the bike, hi-vis gear at night,
>
> Quite right too. If I'm off to that kind of formal event I will ride
> in my DJ - formal shoes and all (and academic gown if it suits the the
> event and the weather). I will refrain from putting on my tie until
> I've arrived.

I understand your point, however clothing that won't get caught is quite
important. Even if you wear trouser clips, that could be regarded as
special clothing.

If I am just doing a short trip (a couple of miles), I will often wear
jeans etc, and have been know do that in trainers on spd pedals (the
small ones, not the ones with platforms). For this type of cycling, I
will slow down.

> Hi-vis is a more complex question, but I hope we can all agree that we
> would prefer to live in a world where ordinary cycling doesn't involve
> having to wear hi-vis.

Hi-vis is IMHO one of the most important bits of night cycling gear. But
then it could give a false sense of security.
Yesterday I saw a cyclist wearing a helmet, pull out to turn right, then
stick her right arm out, and then look. This type of behaviour appears
to be more common amongst helmet wearers, than non-helmet wearers.

Martin.

Rob Morley
May 9th 08, 05:14 AM
In article >, Martin
says...

> I understand your point, however clothing that won't get caught is quite
> important. Even if you wear trouser clips, that could be regarded as
> special clothing.

Tuck trousers in socks, or roll them up.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home