PDA

View Full Version : Coventry RC 10

david lloyd
May 10th 08, 06:25 PM
I've just done my first open 10 in nearly 12 years, and managed to take 9
seconds off my pb. I had said that I'd go shopping for slippy wheels when I
beat my pb, but I'll wait a little while yet, as 25:12 is going to be soon
gone and the improvement is probably down to better equipment.

Unfortunately, the event was marred by one of the fast lads being t-boned by
a car that crossed his path, resulting in the race being stopped. He was
flat on his back and in obvious pain when I passed by,

--
David Lloyd
Time flys when you're having fun.

Roger Thorpe[_4_]
May 12th 08, 10:36 AM
David Lloyd wrote:

> I've just done my first open 10 in nearly 12 years, and managed to take 9
> seconds off my pb. I had said that I'd go shopping for slippy wheels when I
> beat my pb, but I'll wait a little while yet, as 25:12 is going to be soon
> gone and the improvement is probably down to better equipment.
>
> Unfortunately, the event was marred by one of the fast lads being t-boned by
> a car that crossed his path, resulting in the race being stopped. He was
> flat on his back and in obvious pain when I passed by,

What course do they use these days? The local roads are a bit
problematic, with concealed entries and high speed traffic. I don't
suppose anyone tries the A46 anymore, and the Princethorpe road doesn't
look much better.
Roger Thorpe

david lloyd
May 12th 08, 10:57 PM
"Roger Thorpe" > wrote in message
> David Lloyd wrote:
>
>> I've just done my first open 10 in nearly 12 years, and managed to take 9
>> seconds off my pb. I had said that I'd go shopping for slippy wheels when
>> I beat my pb, but I'll wait a little while yet, as 25:12 is going to be
>> soon gone and the improvement is probably down to better equipment.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the event was marred by one of the fast lads being t-boned
>> by a car that crossed his path, resulting in the race being stopped. He
>> was flat on his back and in obvious pain when I passed by,
>>
> What course do they use these days? The local roads are a bit problematic,
> with concealed entries and high speed traffic. I don't suppose anyone
> tries the A46 anymore, and the Princethorpe road doesn't look much better.
> Roger Thorpe

The course was the K10/10FT, the main section of which runs between the
Fosse Way roundabout and the M45 roundabout, on the A45. The start and
finish are on the B4453.

As far as I could see, any turnings onto the B4453 had good sight lines.

--
David Lloyd
Time flys when you're having fun.
Your luggage flys only after you've left Terminal 5.
--
David Lloyd
Time flys when you're having fun.
Your luggage flys only after you've left Terminal 5.

Roger Thorpe[_4_]
May 13th 08, 10:43 AM
David Lloyd wrote:
> "Roger Thorpe" > wrote in message
>
>>David Lloyd wrote:
>>

>>>I've just done my first open 10 in nearly 12 years, and managed to take 9
>>>seconds off my pb. I had said that I'd go shopping for slippy wheels when
>>>I beat my pb, but I'll wait a little while yet, as 25:12 is going to be
>>>soon gone and the improvement is probably down to better equipment.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately, the event was marred by one of the fast lads being t-boned
>>>by a car that crossed his path, resulting in the race being stopped. He
>>>was flat on his back and in obvious pain when I passed by,
>>>

>>What course do they use these days? The local roads are a bit problematic,
>>with concealed entries and high speed traffic. I don't suppose anyone
>>tries the A46 anymore, and the Princethorpe road doesn't look much better.
>>Roger Thorpe
>

> The course was the K10/10FT, the main section of which runs between the
> Fosse Way roundabout and the M45 roundabout, on the A45. The start and
> finish are on the B4453.
>
> As far as I could see, any turnings onto the B4453 had good sight lines.

Well good luck then for next week. I forgot to say congratulations on
that time, by the way. Getting back after 12 years and then beating your
PB is an achievement.
For me, maybe next year, when the decorating is all done and I can get
out on the road again.... by which time my PB will be 20 years old and
my bike even older.
Roger Thorpe
How's the casualty by the way?

david lloyd
May 14th 08, 07:46 PM
"Roger Thorpe" > wrote in message
> David Lloyd wrote:

>>>What course do they use these days? The local roads are a bit
>>>problematic, with concealed entries and high speed traffic. I don't
>>>suppose anyone tries the A46 anymore, and the Princethorpe road doesn't
>>>look much better.
>>>Roger Thorpe
>>

>> The course was the K10/10FT, the main section of which runs between the
>> Fosse Way roundabout and the M45 roundabout, on the A45. The start and
>> finish are on the B4453.
>>
>> As far as I could see, any turnings onto the B4453 had good sight lines.
>>
> Well good luck then for next week. I forgot to say congratulations on that
> time, by the way. Getting back after 12 years and then beating your PB is
> an achievement.
> For me, maybe next year, when the decorating is all done and I can get out
> on the road again.... by which time my PB will be 20 years old and my bike
> even older.
> Roger Thorpe
> How's the casualty by the way?

My old PB was actually 23 years old, and was my first race on my still well
loved Holdsworth Professional road bike. A picture of this and my TT machine
can be found on my work-in-progress web page:

www.davidalloyd.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

I suppose 11 years of failing to improve on it is what lead to the 12 years
lay-off . I suppose my loss of form coincided with my inability to get out
on the club runs, leading to lower winter mileage than required. This year,
I got a good long winter in, had my training zones defined, and I have come
down from 71Kg to 64Kg (God knows where the excess weight was hidden).

My club hold an evening 10 on a local course, which is not a particularly
good one. Two weeks ago I got to within 36s of my PB, on a really good warm
day. This was a new personal record for this course. Yesterday, on a cool,
blustery day, I took 12 seconds off that. So, I'd like to know what I was
playing at 2 weeks ago.

I've not heared any more about the casualty. I'll think I might drop the
organiser a line.I don't know if we are going to receive a results list,
since the event was cut short. I would have expected one by now, since I
received the start sheet via e-mail. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Roger Thorpe
May 14th 08, 10:28 PM
David Lloyd wrote:

> My old PB was actually 23 years old, and was my first race on my still well
> loved Holdsworth Professional road bike. A picture of this and my TT machine
> can be found on my work-in-progress web page:
>
> www.davidalloyd.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
>
> I suppose 11 years of failing to improve on it is what lead to the 12 years
> lay-off . I suppose my loss of form coincided with my inability to get out
> on the club runs, leading to lower winter mileage than required. This year,
> I got a good long winter in, had my training zones defined, and I have come
> down from 71Kg to 64Kg (God knows where the excess weight was hidden).

I'm sure that I won't be the only reader to find that an encouraging
story. Maybe I'll get fit enough to do some TTs next year(my starting
weight is about 80Kg though). I'll buy you a cup of tea if we meet at
one... and if you beat me!
Roger Thorpe

david lloyd
May 14th 08, 11:41 PM
"Roger Thorpe" d.co.uk>
wrote in message . ..
> David Lloyd wrote:
>

>> My old PB was actually 23 years old, and was my first race on my still
>> well loved Holdsworth Professional road bike. A picture of this and my TT
>> machine can be found on my work-in-progress web page:
>>
>> www.davidalloyd.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
>>
>> I suppose 11 years of failing to improve on it is what lead to the 12
>> years lay-off . I suppose my loss of form coincided with my inability to
>> get out on the club runs, leading to lower winter mileage than required.
>> This year, I got a good long winter in, had my training zones defined,
>> and I have come down from 71Kg to 64Kg (God knows where the excess weight
>> was hidden).
>>

> I'm sure that I won't be the only reader to find that an encouraging
> story. Maybe I'll get fit enough to do some TTs next year(my starting
> weight is about 80Kg though). I'll buy you a cup of tea if we meet at
> one... and if you beat me!
> Roger Thorpe

I'll hold you to that. Always gasping for a cuppa after a race ;-)

David Lloyd
Time flys when you're having fun.
Your luggage flys only after you've left Terminal 5.

david lloyd
May 15th 08, 11:25 PM
"Roger Thorpe" > wrote in message

> How's the casualty by the way?

Apparently, A Green had bad cuts on the lower body, requiring 170+ stitches.
Luckily he had no breaks. I don't know how.

David Lloyd
Time flys when you're having fun.
Your luggage flys only after you've left Terminal 5.

David Martin
May 16th 08, 12:40 AM
On May 14, 10:28 pm, Roger Thorpe
d.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm sure that I won't be the only reader to find that an encouraging
> story. Maybe I'll get fit enough to do some TTs next year(my starting
> weight is about 80Kg though). I'll buy you a cup of tea if we meet at
> one... and if you beat me!

I have a BMI in the mid 30's and am the wrong side of 90 kilos. I ride
the local 10's and a good day is better than evens (30 mins). There
are more generously proportioned riders than me (and some fast racing
snakes).

You don't have to be more than averagely fit to ride a TT, you just
need to be able to pace yourself. Give it a go, the results will
surprise you. My 10 times this year have been 29.15, 30.19, and 28.48.
Last year I did one 10 and it was 29.17. The first 10 on that course
this year is next week.

Fastest ever was in 1991 - 28.17, and in recent years 28.47.

...d

david lloyd
May 16th 08, 05:00 PM
"David Martin" > wrote in message
> On May 14, 10:28 pm, Roger Thorpe
> d.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure that I won't be the only reader to find that an encouraging
>> story. Maybe I'll get fit enough to do some TTs next year(my starting
>> weight is about 80Kg though). I'll buy you a cup of tea if we meet at
>> one... and if you beat me!
>

> I have a BMI in the mid 30's and am the wrong side of 90 kilos. I ride
> the local 10's and a good day is better than evens (30 mins). There
> are more generously proportioned riders than me (and some fast racing
> snakes).
>
> You don't have to be more than averagely fit to ride a TT, you just
> need to be able to pace yourself. Give it a go, the results will
> surprise you. My 10 times this year have been 29.15, 30.19, and 28.48.
> Last year I did one 10 and it was 29.17. The first 10 on that course
> this year is next week.
>
> Fastest ever was in 1991 - 28.17, and in recent years 28.47.
>
> ..d

Agreed, to start with you only need to be as fit as required not to drop
down dead. As I'm not big on power, the fastest way for me to improve my
power to weight ratio was to shed weight. Heaven knows how I managed to be
18% body fat whilst weighing in at 71Kg. It's not as if I'm short.

David Lloyd
Time flys when you're having fun.
Your luggage flys only after you've left Terminal 5.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home