PDA

View Full Version : en route energy

didds
May 13th 08, 10:04 AM
Apologies for the dumb question in advance!

What do you recommend for en route energy? I note remarks about
taping energy bars to the frame to eat en route - what IS this energy
bar?

And are there home made equivelents? (Granny's nutty slack not being
likely to remain taoped to a frame for long ;-)

cheers

ian

Rob Morley
May 13th 08, 10:51 AM
On Tue, 13 May 2008 02:04:51 -0700, didds wrote:

> Apologies for the dumb question in advance!
>
> What do you recommend for en route energy? I note remarks about taping
> energy bars to the frame to eat en route

Really? I always thought that's what pockets/handlebar bags etc. were
for.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=energy-bar

> And are there home made equivelents? (Granny's nutty slack not being
> likely to remain taoped to a frame for long ;-)

Malt loaf seems popular. I like bananas and flapjack.

Jeremy Parker
May 13th 08, 01:14 PM
"didds" > wrote

[snip]

> What do you recommend for en route energy? I note remarks about
> taping energy bars to the frame to eat en route - what IS this
> energy
> bar?
>
> And are there home made equivelents? (Granny's nutty slack not
> being
> likely to remain taoped to a frame for long ;-)

I use orange juice, diluted with an equal amount of water, so as to
get the osmotic pressure right for quick absorption in the stomach.
In winter I might take it hot, in a thermos flask. Mars bars and
bananas are two traditional ideas

About the only thing you need on a ride is some way of
preventing/curing the bonk, i.e. some kind of sugarish thing. The
lower the molecular weight the quicker it gets absorbed, but the
shorter time it lasts. Thus glucose, as in, for example, Kendal mint
cake, is good for instant revival, but its best not to let your
reserves get that low in the first place, except perhaps once or
twice, to see what it feels like. It takes me about 40-50 miles to
run low.

I doubt whether energy bars have any particular virtue, unless you
ride fast enough for a manufacturer to pay you to eat them, and thus
impress the more gullible customers

Jeremy Parker

didds
May 13th 08, 02:41 PM
On 13 May, 13:14, "Jeremy Parker" > wrote:

> I doubt whether energy bars have any particular virtue, unless you
> ride fast enough for a manufacturer to pay you to eat them, and thus
> impress the more gullible customers

:-)

cheers all... looks like mars bars and bananas then stuffed in a
pocket! (doesn;t the choclate melt?)

cheers

didds

David Damerell
May 13th 08, 03:17 PM
Quoting didds >:
>On 13 May, 13:14, "Jeremy Parker" > wrote:
>>I doubt whether energy bars have any particular virtue, unless you
>>ride fast enough for a manufacturer to pay you to eat them, and thus
>>impress the more gullible customers
>cheers all... looks like mars bars and bananas then stuffed in a
>pocket!

At the very least you will want a handlebar bag or saddle pack. Where are
you going to keep your puncture spares, lighting spares, multitool, etc?

I favour a combination of bananas, malt loaf, and fig newtons. Mind you, I
have yet to do a 200 without having to sit down somewhere unexpectedly for
ten minutes and eat in a hurry, so you might not want to take my advice.
--
David Damerell > Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Saturday, May - a weekend.

BigRab
May 13th 08, 03:24 PM
> cheers all... looks like mars bars and bananas then stuffed in a
> pocket! (doesn;t the choclate melt?)

Hiya Didds:

I'm not a big fan of Mars bars as, in my experience, they work real
quick but then, with blood sugar high, the pancreas dumps insulin into
the bloodstream to damp it down and it overcompensates and mops up
more than the sugars from the Mars bar leaving you worse off than
before.

On a long run nibble at complex carbs and dilute energy drinks.

Bannanas = good but can go black in the warmth and bumping but are
still perfectly edible. The perfectly balance of simple sugars,
proteins, fats and complex carbohydrates for me are..........
marmalade sandwiches. Bit messy but very effective. Mind you, a good
breakfast of porridge will last about 50-60 miles!

Take care out there.
Robert

POHB
May 13th 08, 04:01 PM
On 13 May, 13:14, "Jeremy Parker" > wrote:
> I doubt whether energy bars have any particular virtue, unless you
> ride fast enough for a manufacturer to pay you to eat them, and thus
> impress the more gullible customers

I keep one in the saddlebag with the toolkit as a tool to fix people.
Worked a treat with a whingeing daughter while on a family ride the
other day.

Nick Kew
May 13th 08, 04:39 PM
On Tue, 13 May 2008 02:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
didds > wrote:

> Apologies for the dumb question in advance!
>
> What do you recommend for en route energy? I note remarks about
> taping energy bars to the frame to eat en route - what IS this energy
> bar?
>
> And are there home made equivelents? (Granny's nutty slack not being
> likely to remain taoped to a frame for long ;-)

A crisp, juicy, sweet apple. You never knew how good one can taste,
until you've eaten one at twice your maximum normal mileage.

Travels well, too. Unlike softer fruits.

--
not me guv

dkahn400
May 13th 08, 05:33 PM

<http://www.bananaguards.co.uk/eshop/>

--
Dave...

Pete
May 13th 08, 06:08 PM
didds wrote:
> Apologies for the dumb question in advance!
>
> What do you recommend for en route energy? I note remarks about
> taping energy bars to the frame to eat en route - what IS this energy
> bar?

Energy bars are like sweets without the redeeming features of tasting
nice or being cheap :)

> And are there home made equivelents? (Granny's nutty slack not being
> likely to remain taoped to a frame for long ;-)

Cake, sandwiches, some fruits etc.

Pete

vernon[_2_]
May 13th 08, 07:21 PM
"Jeremy Parker" > wrote in message

> "didds" > wrote
>
> [snip]
>
>> What do you recommend for en route energy? I note remarks about
>> taping energy bars to the frame to eat en route - what IS this energy
>> bar?
>>
>> And are there home made equivelents? (Granny's nutty slack not being
>> likely to remain taoped to a frame for long ;-)
>
> I use orange juice, diluted with an equal amount of water, so as to get
> the osmotic pressure right for quick absorption in the stomach. In winter
> I might take it hot, in a thermos flask. Mars bars and bananas are two
> traditional ideas

Apparently it takes longer to metabolise the fructose in this mix than it
would had glucose been used.

'Complex carbohydrates (starches) are digested at slower rate & therefore, a
hypoglycemic response (low blood sugar) is avoided. Glucose and sucrose are
twice as effective as fructose though all are sugars. Fructose can be found
in fruits. Fructose metabolise mostly in our liver, while glucose bypass the
liver and gets stored in and oxidised by muscles directly. However, do take
SOME fructose to replenish liver glycogen store.'

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mindef_websites/topics/elifestyle/articles/nutrition_and_supplements/sports_nutrition.html

Just start drinking your juice mix a few hours before you start your ride
;-)

I sometimes use a juice/water mix to to relieve the boredom of plain water.

I get by with a couple of bananas and a bag of jelly babies on a 100km Audax
ride. That's on top of a substantial bowl of porridge for breakfast.

> About the only thing you need on a ride is some way of preventing/curing
> the bonk, i.e. some kind of sugarish thing. The lower the molecular
> weight the quicker it gets absorbed, but the shorter time it lasts. Thus
> glucose, as in, for example, Kendal mint cake, is good for instant
> revival, but its best not to let your reserves get that low in the first
> place, except perhaps once or twice, to see what it feels like. It takes
> me about 40-50 miles to run low.

Kendal Mint cake has been on special offer at ALDI. I've bought some 3
packs at a quid each. I wouldn't recommend encouraging the bonk. It's a
dispiriting feeling and it takes a while to eat/drink your way out of it.

> I doubt whether energy bars have any particular virtue, unless you ride
> fast enough for a manufacturer to pay you to eat them, and thus impress
> the more gullible customers

I've used a range of cereal bars with no ill effects but, equally, no
discernable benefits - possibly because I supplemented them with pies ;-)

Danny Colyer
May 13th 08, 11:42 PM
On 13/05/2008 10:04, didds wrote:
> What do you recommend for en route energy?

Flapjacks are good. Bananas are supposed to be the best energy food
available, if you can stomach them. Unfortunately I can't.

I favour SIS Go energy drink, Maxim energy and recovery bars, and the
occasional High 5 or SIS gel on the longest rides. The best thing is to
try a few different products and see what works for you (taste and
texture are both important and subjective).

Some manufacturers do introductory packs with a selection of their
products for you to try, e.g.:
http://tinyurl.com/5a3dy8
http://tinyurl.com/6xx9l4
http://tinyurl.com/6jp7wf

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

Tim Hall
May 14th 08, 10:20 AM
On 13 May 2008 15:17:39 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
> wrote:

> fig newtons.

The fig Newton should be the SI unit for something, but I can't work
out what.

--

Tim

I understand very little of what's being discussed
but for some reason it's fascinating.

(Jon Thompson, urs)

Rob Morley
May 14th 08, 11:22 AM
On Wed, 14 May 2008 10:20:12 +0100, Tim Hall wrote:

> The fig Newton should be the SI unit for something, but I can't work out
> what.

Is it a measure of distance that takes into account weather, hills and
physical fitness?

POHB
May 14th 08, 01:16 PM
On 14 May, 11:22, Rob Morley > wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008 10:20:12 +0100, Tim Hall wrote:
> > The fig Newton should be the SI unit for something, but I can't work out
> > what.
>
> Is it a measure of distance that takes into account weather, hills and
> physical fitness?

Fig Newtons (or Fig Rolls) are an endangered species:
http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,2275178,00.html

David Damerell
May 14th 08, 04:33 PM
Quoting POHB >:
>On 13 May, 13:14, "Jeremy Parker" > wrote:
>>I doubt whether energy bars have any particular virtue, unless you
>>ride fast enough for a manufacturer to pay you to eat them, and thus
>>impress the more gullible customers
>I keep one in the saddlebag with the toolkit as a tool to fix people.

I've got two Quaker Oat bars in my spares kit. They're nicer than the
usual cardboard energy bars, and there's a few miles in them...
--
David Damerell > Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Sunday, May - a weekend.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home