PDA

View Full Version : aioe gone for a burton, wot next?

Pete Biggs
May 15th 08, 08:38 AM
TerryJ wrote:
> I have tried to use nntp.motzarella.org but although the website
> offers lots including our group only a few motzarella groups appear on
> my reader(thunderbird).Anyone know why, or can recommend another free
> server with lttle spam?

What is a motzarella group?

If you want a good server to read thousands of newsgroups, there is
http://www.news.individual.net/ . It's nearly free at 10 Euros per year.

I doubt there is a free server that is as good. ISP news servers I've tried
have been crap, with messages often being delayed and lost. Messages appear
immediately after posting with news.individual.net.

~PB

TerryJ
May 15th 08, 04:46 PM
I have tried to use nntp.motzarella.org but although the website
offers lots including our group only a few motzarella groups appear on
my reader(thunderbird).Anyone know why, or can recommend another free
server with lttle spam?
TerryJ

killermike[_6_]
May 16th 08, 02:49 AM
TerryJ wrote:
> I have tried to use nntp.motzarella.org but although the website
> offers lots including our group only a few motzarella groups appear on
> my reader(thunderbird).Anyone know why, or can recommend another free
> server with lttle spam?
> TerryJ

I've switched to that one for the same reasons. According to the
documentation, if you are only able to see the local groups, it means
that you haven't entered your username and password. The option you need
is "always request authentication when connecting to this server" on the
"server settings" section of the "account settings" page.

--
http://www.unmusic.co.uk Michael Reed -- technology, gender, and geek
culture freelance writer

TerryJ
May 16th 08, 01:56 PM
killermike wrote:
> TerryJ wrote:
>> I have tried to use nntp.motzarella.org but although the website
>> offers lots including our group only a few motzarella groups appear on
>> my reader(thunderbird).Anyone know why, or can recommend another free
>> server with lttle spam?
>> TerryJ
>
> I've switched to that one for the same reasons. According to the
> documentation, if you are only able to see the local groups, it means
> that you haven't entered your username and password. The option you need
> is "always request authentication when connecting to this server" on the
> "server settings" section of the "account settings" page.

Thats sorted it, thankyou very much

Biggles
May 17th 08, 02:39 AM
TerryJ wrote:
> I have tried to use nntp.motzarella.org but although the website
> offers lots including our group only a few motzarella groups appear on
> my reader(thunderbird).Anyone know why, or can recommend another free
> server with lttle spam?
> TerryJ
Prolly just a DNS problem, it's back now.

Biggles

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home