PDA

View Full Version : Chris Boardman

Tom Crispin
May 19th 08, 10:10 PM
I've been invited to a dinner where Chris Boardman will be the guest
of honour.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/microsites/cyclingawards/2008/event.asp

I have been nominated for the "Creative Solutions" award for my scheme
cycling children to and from their swimming lessons every Monday.

TfL press office have asked me for a quote. I dragged up an old one
from Congressman Earl Blumenauer. "My inspiration for the project
came to me when I was thinking of all those people who day after day
get stuck in London's traffic on their way to the gym to ride a
stationary bicycle."

POHB
May 20th 08, 08:32 AM
On 19 May, 22:10, Tom Crispin >
wrote:
> I've been invited to a dinner where Chris Boardman will be the guest
> of honour.
>
> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/microsites/cyclingawards/2008/event.asp
>
> I have been nominated for the "Creative Solutions" award for my scheme
> cycling children to and from their swimming lessons every Monday.
>
> TfL press office have asked me for a quote. *I dragged up an old one
> from Congressman Earl Blumenauer. *"My inspiration for the project
> came to me when I was thinking of all those people who day after day
> get stuck in London's traffic on their way to the gym to ride a
> stationary bicycle."

Hey, congratulations. Don't forget, Dress Code: Smart.

Tom Crispin
May 23rd 08, 08:55 AM
On Tue, 20 May 2008 00:32:19 -0700 (PDT), POHB >
wrote:

>On 19 May, 22:10, Tom Crispin >
>wrote:
>> I've been invited to a dinner where Chris Boardman will be the guest
>> of honour.
>>
>> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/microsites/cyclingawards/2008/event.asp
>>
>> I have been nominated for the "Creative Solutions" award for my scheme
>> cycling children to and from their swimming lessons every Monday.
>>
>> TfL press office have asked me for a quote. *I dragged up an old one
>> from Congressman Earl Blumenauer. *"My inspiration for the project
>> came to me when I was thinking of all those people who day after day
>> get stuck in London's traffic on their way to the gym to ride a
>> stationary bicycle."
>
>Hey, congratulations. Don't forget, Dress Code: Smart.

Great night out. "The Brewery" is a great venue for a dinner - and
the food was delicious.

Speeches by Jenny Jones (Green Party London Assembly member), David
Brown (TFL MD for surface transport) and Chris Boardman.

For the first time the London Fire Brigade was represented by a
cycling team.

My "Creative Solutions" nomination for my scheme to cycle pupils to
and from their swimming lessons was one of the winners.

Sir Jeremy
May 23rd 08, 01:05 PM
On 23 May, 08:55, Tom Crispin >
wrote:

> For the first time the London Fire Brigade was represented by a
> cycling team.

could be tricky carrying those long ladders though

TerryJ
May 23rd 08, 02:51 PM
Sir Jeremy wrote:
> On 23 May, 08:55, Tom Crispin >
> wrote:
>> For the first time the London Fire Brigade was represented by a
>> cycling team.
>>

> could be tricky carrying those long ladders though

My great uncle was a plumber in Stockport and used to carry his ladder
strapped to the side of his exceedingly strong bike, with pipes, lead
and a blow torch hanging all over.How corners were negotiated is a
mystery, but I suppose he had just enough movement in the front wheel:
you don't need much.A bowser of water might have been a challenge
climbing out of Mersey Square.
actually now I notice you said 'long ladders'.

TerryJ

JNugent[_4_]
May 23rd 08, 03:13 PM
TerryJ wrote:

> Sir Jeremy wrote:
>> Tom Crispin > wrote:

>>> For the first time the London Fire Brigade was represented by a
>>> cycling team.

>> could be tricky carrying those long ladders though

> My great uncle was a plumber in Stockport and used to carry his ladder
> strapped to the side of his exceedingly strong bike, with pipes, lead
> and a blow torch hanging all over.How corners were negotiated is a
> mystery, but I suppose he had just enough movement in the front wheel:
> you don't need much.A bowser of water might have been a challenge
> climbing out of Mersey Square.
> actually now I notice you said 'long ladders'.

In my mind's eye I can still see the window-cleaner who used to operate
in the area where my grandmother lived in Liverpool. He was a definite
local "character". He carried a ladder just long enough to allow him to
wash the windows of the upper floor of a typical terraced house, plus a
bucket, leathers, etc, on his back. He used no wheeled aids of any sort.

Tom Crispin
May 23rd 08, 04:05 PM
On Fri, 23 May 2008 05:05:23 -0700 (PDT), Sir Jeremy
> wrote:

>On 23 May, 08:55, Tom Crispin >
>wrote:
>>

>> For the first time the London Fire Brigade was represented by a
>> cycling team.
>>

>could be tricky carrying those long ladders though

Here's a photo I took in south China in January 2007.
www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/longload

Jan[_2_]
May 23rd 08, 06:39 PM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2008 05:05:23 -0700 (PDT), Sir Jeremy
> > wrote:
>
>> On 23 May, 08:55, Tom Crispin >
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> For the first time the London Fire Brigade was represented by a
>>> cycling team.
>>>

>> could be tricky carrying those long ladders though
>
> Here's a photo I took in south China in January 2007.
> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/longload

When in Laos earlier tis year we saw young lads carrying Bamboo "drain
pipes" aprox 20 feet long whilst riding normal cycles.

Jan

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home