PDA

View Full Version : CHEST HIGH HANDLE FOR 36er.

curbrider
May 20th 08, 07:08 AM
Hi Everyone,
Long time reader, first time thread starter.
But I have not seen any info on this below.

I found a video of a 2 riders Dustin and Alexander from the Netherlands
both using chest high 36er handles.
The best (but poor) detail that I have is this screen capture:
[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26769&stc=1&d=1211263269]

or you can see the whole video (not in English) at:
http://www.vimeo.com/836861

or an article in English with some translation of the video (but no
comments about the handle)(Scroll towards bottom) at:
http://ridethelobster.wordpress.com/

My questions: Is this an advantage:confused: ?
Wouldn't this make UPDs too dangerous :eek: ?
Did I give away the Netherlands RTL secret weapon :D ?
Who is going to make/try one and share :) ?

Not me, Mark (Curbrider), in answer to the last question.
I am very new to 36 inch riding and still trying out my purple T7
handle. I'm not yet comfortable with high speed. My knees have a bit
of pain so for now I ride with 170 mm cranks which helps in m
http://www.usenet.com

siafirede
May 22nd 08, 03:34 AM
curbrider wrote:

> My questions: Is this an advantage:confused: ?
> Wouldn't this make UPDs too dangerous :eek: ?
> Did I give away the Netherlands RTL secret weapon :D ?
> Who is going to make/try one and share :) ?
>
> Not me, Mark (Curbrider), in answer to the last question.
> I am very new to 36 inch riding and still trying out my purple T7
> handle. I'm not yet comfortable with high speed. My knees have a bit
> of pain so for now I ride with 170 mm cranks which helps in my case.
> I'm tall. And staying away from curb drops for now.
> My goal is for some commuting to work 4 miles each way.
> :)

1) I believe it is an advantage for stability purposes and for riding
straight, as with any handle, but I do not think a handle this high is
ideal.
2) UPDs would seem to be more dangerous, but as I have not tried a
handle like this I am not sure.

The ideal uni set up changes for each person, which means there are a
lot of different handle set ups people are trying. I like tucking in
further down than a high handle would allow, and having a handle close
to the front of your saddle makes it easier to pull up on uphills. A
high handle like in the video seems like it would make climbing
awkward...but once again...I am not an expert on that kind of handle
set up.

I think the T7 will work better for you than a set up like in the
video. I would stick with that for a while. I have a GB4 handle (not
sold anymore) that doesn't sit as far out as the T7 and I love it. I
can't imagine riding with a different handle set up, and I find myself
riding very similar to Ken now at a tucked in position.

Riding 4 miles on your 36er to work is VERY doable (or totally doable
as some would say on this forum :D ). Aspen Mike used to solely use
170mm cranks on his 36er and he is able to cover quite a large amount
of distance. Stick with your current set up for now and you should be
comfortable riding 8 miles a day to/from work. After you get
comfortable with the 170s, I would highly recommend switching to 150mm
cranks (or smaller) if you are going to be commuting. If you have any
other commuting questions feel free to ask, as we have a number of uni
commuters on this board.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

feel the light
May 22nd 08, 05:21 AM
They seem to be pedaling along pretty good. It's maybe that they can
weight the bars more this way, because the weight going into the arms
is closer to the seatpost balance point, then when the bars are lower
and to the front. You can't displace as much weight further forward,
without tipping forward.

I think it is a mistake to compare this handle to closely to Pete's
guni. These are for a standard frame. Pete's guni had a special frame
that put the seat rearward, that allowed a more forward handle
placement.

Safety wise, in the grand tradition of racing, people won't sweat
safety if it's really a faster setup.:D

Actually, it looks more of a threat to my wallet then to my health.
That much pipe will be expensive and fragile, if it is really light.;)

--
feel the light

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home