PDA

View Full Version : Hello and several Questions.

Georgia_Dad
May 20th 08, 03:51 PM
Hello from Georgia. I signed up here mainly for my son but I get the
first post.:) My 9 yld son just started riding. In 5 days he's up
and tooling around like he's done it all his life. Yesterday he rode
all around the park and only stopped when his legs got tired. Must be
nice. He still needs a wall to get up but I expect him to be able to
hop up on it with in a couple more days at the rate he's going.

My wife picked up a couple of unicycles at a yard sale. His is a 20"
Cycle World brand w/ a 20x1.75 tire. It is in great condition. The
adult one is a Stelber brand w/ a 24"x1.75 tire. It isn't in bad shape
but you can tell it's old.

Now the questions.
I haven't ridden an unicycle since I was his age. Should I stick with
the Stelber as it is, put a wider tire on it, or get a 20" w/ a 2.1
tire?

The pedals on the Stelber look like standard bike pedals. There is a
lip on the side that I caught my foot on once already and took a
tumble. Can these be replaced on this model?

Getting back up on the horse is a little harder than I thought it would
be.:o

--
Georgia_Dad

Kerv
May 20th 08, 04:23 PM
Greetings from another dad who has gotten back into unicycling because
of my kids. We have lots of one-wheeled fun at our house! (just wait
until you try mountain unicycling:D Its terrific!)

With regards to your questions: I am not familiar with the Stelber
brand, but I have not seen a pedal yet that could not be replaced.
Your local bike shop can probably help you out.

The conventional wissom is that it is easier to learn on a 20" (tire)
uni than a 24" uni. If you are having serious trouble getting back
into the saddle, you may find a 20" easier.

Speaking of saddles, the one thing I replace on all old unicycles is
the saddle. My 46 year-old butt really appreciates the current great
saddles on the market today. They are much improved over the saddles
of my youth. You can find some good ones at unicycle.com (known as UDC
by users of this forum). Check out the Nimbus or Kris Holm saddles.
Both are excellent.

Speaking of UDC, they are located in your home state of Georgia. If
you are somewhere nearby, you might want to drop into their showroom.
Lots of pedals, saddles, unicycles, etc. You can touch the merchandise
and get plenty of good advise.

You also might want to get some wrist protectors (mostly to protect the
palms of your hands) and knee guards. Lots of people just wear a
helmet, but my helmet has never once saved my noggin (although I still
wear it). On the other hand, my wrist protectors and knee pads have
saved me on many driveway tumbles.

Good luck and welcome back to the sport!

--
Kerv

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home