PDA

View Full Version : Re: Campaign Against Cycling Lies?

spindrift
July 11th 08, 09:06 AM
On Jul 11, 8:45*am, Squashme > wrote:
> On 10 Jul, 22:27, "burtthebike" > wrote:

> > > There's a risk that by drawing attention to the 'inaccuracies'. it will be
> > > those very 'inaccuracies' that people recall. There's been some research
> > > work addressing this phenomenon, but, for the life of me, I can't remember
> > > where I saw it!
>
> > I've just done a dissertation on helmets and the risks of cycling, and one
> > of the references I used was the research you refer to, which said that
> > people remember the original claim, rather than the denunciation of it. *It
> > didn't however, propose a robust mechanism for disproving the original and
> > wrong, claim. *But constant denial and refutation will acheive publicity and
> > change the minds of some. *At the moment, cyclists are losing the publicity
> > battle.
>
> Certainly some of the recent news stories seem to feature pavement
> cycling centre stage early on, which then is quietly removed or at
> least lessened, while the impression, and public debate, remains of
> pavement cycling. I do not suggest conspiracy here, just general
> journalism.
>
> The E. Standard covered the shopping trip of some Islamo-fascist
> yesterday, and made his buying a sixpack of diet coke, plus some paper
> products, while stroking his beard, sound rather threatening.- Hide quoted text -

The after effects of the dishonest crap written about the Howard case,
the cyclist who rode into the girl and killed her- have resulted in
death threats being made against him online. You just know that the
people who read those inflammatory lies will use it as an excuse to
attack all cyclists.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home