PDA

View Full Version : MTB Frame size for XC Singletrack?

Duncan Smith
July 15th 08, 04:32 PM
Quick heads up - after some 1-2-1 tuition I'm considering replacing
the frame of a Specialized Rockhopper 2007 for a Cove Stiffee on the
grounds that the more relaxed head angle may be more steady and get
the weight back giving a little more time to assess obstacles before
committing (I'm told).

So for a 6" rider (with slightly shorter legs than normal) should I go
for the 17.5" or the 19.5"?

My existing frame is 19" which is good for long rides/climbing but not
so good for chucking around twisty tracks (at least not by me
anyway...)

Many thanks,

Duncan

Marz
July 15th 08, 04:49 PM
On Jul 15, 10:32*am, Duncan Smith > wrote:
> Quick heads up - after some 1-2-1 tuition I'm considering replacing
> the frame of a Specialized Rockhopper 2007 for a Cove Stiffee on the
> grounds that the more relaxed head angle may be more steady and get
> the weight back giving a little more time to assess obstacles before
> committing (I'm told).
>
> So for a 6" rider (with slightly shorter legs than normal) should I go
> for the 17.5" or the 19.5"?
>
> My existing frame is 19" which is good for long rides/climbing but not
> so good for chucking around twisty tracks (at least not by me
> anyway...)
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Duncan

I'm 6'4" and ride a 19" frame for its chuckabilty, which means a lot
of exposed seatpost and 100mm stem. This has worked for me on the
Cannondale's and GT's I've owned, but I've not ridden a Cove and so I
don't know how their frames measure up.

Look at the top tube length between your 19" Specialized and the Cove
17.5" and if they're pretty close I'd go for the 17.5". If you end up
with the 19" and find it too stretched out you can always switch out
the stem for a 40 or 50mm.

Laters,

Marz

Google