PDA

View Full Version : Baby bear

lardyninja
August 1st 08, 10:00 AM
Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry, not too sunny, not
too cloudy, not too windy. It's a beautiful summer Friday here in the
capital. On days like these I can't understand why the streets aren't
jammed with cyclists. Got to work with a big grin.

LN

spindrift
August 1st 08, 10:10 AM
On Aug 1, 10:00*am, lardyninja > wrote:
> Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry, not too sunny, not
> too cloudy, not too windy. It's a beautiful summer Friday here in the
> capital. On days like these I can't understand why the streets aren't
> jammed with cyclists. Got to work with a big grin.
>
> LN

I stopped by the Lea Navigation Canal on the ride home, next to the
Olympic Park and stopped to dry the sweat from a 5 mile ride through
traffic. Swallows were skimming the water and a huge carp was swimming
along just beneath the surface. A woman walking three huskies came
past and one of the dogs came over for a nuzzle as other cyclists
pedalled past. It was beautiful and pleasantly hot, but no hotter than
the Central Line in this weather where, I understand, one would be
prosecuted for taking a cat in this heat.

The bike ride is the best part of the day.

Roos Eisma
August 1st 08, 10:45 AM
spindrift > writes:

>The bike ride is the best part of the day.

Even here now that the monsoon has started. It is still warm so not
unpleasant in a wet sort of way.

Roos

August 1st 08, 11:04 AM
On 1 Aug, 10:45, Roos Eisma > wrote:
> spindrift > writes:
> >The bike ride is the best part of the day.
>
> Even here now that the monsoon has started. It is still warm so not
> unpleasant in a wet sort of way.
>
> Roos

Took a morning off and drove. Gutted!

spindrift
August 1st 08, 11:07 AM
On Aug 1, 11:04*am, wrote:
> On 1 Aug, 10:45, Roos Eisma > wrote:
>
> > spindrift > writes:
> > >The bike ride is the best part of the day.
>
> > Even here now that the monsoon has started. It is still warm so not
> > unpleasant in a wet sort of way.
>
> > Roos
>
> Took a morning off and drove. Gutted!

Um, why's the thread header "Baby bear"?

Roos Eisma
August 1st 08, 11:34 AM
spindrift > writes:

>On Aug 1, 11:04=A0am, wrote:

>> > Even here now that the monsoon has started. It is still warm so not
>> > unpleasant in a wet sort of way.
>>
>> > Roos
>>
>> Took a morning off and drove. Gutted!

>Um, why's the thread header "Baby bear"?

To disguise the fact that we're actually talking about cycling? ;)

Roos

spindrift
August 1st 08, 11:41 AM
On Aug 1, 11:34*am, Roos Eisma > wrote:
> spindrift > writes:

> >> Took a morning off and drove. Gutted!
> >Um, why's the thread header "Baby bear"?
>
> To disguise the fact that we're actually talking about cycling? ;)
>
> Roos

Ha ha!

That tow path is lovely, you get cheery waves and greetings from other
bods on bikes.

Try that on the tube, you'd be maced.

In fact sometimes i extend my commute home if the weather's glorious,
do a circuit of Vicky Park. My brother does the same in Richmond Park
to extend his pootle to a round 14 miles. Again, I can't imagine car
commuters doing that!

Colin Blackburn[_2_]
August 1st 08, 11:52 AM
spindrift wrote:

> In fact sometimes i extend my commute home if the weather's glorious,
> do a circuit of Vicky Park. My brother does the same in Richmond Park
> to extend his pootle to a round 14 miles. Again, I can't imagine car
> commuters doing that!

I can and did. When we used to car-commute from Durham to where we now
live we would sometimes extend the drive to take in a route over the
moorland. In spring it was worth it for the curlews and lapwings, in
late summer it was worth it for the heather. Even in winter it might be
worth it for the dramatic weather.

It was way too far to cycle other than the odd trip now and then.
However, now that we don't have to commute we have more time to just go
cycling (or running) on the moors. Which is much nicer.

Colin

spindrift
August 1st 08, 11:55 AM
On Aug 1, 11:52*am, Colin Blackburn > wrote:
> spindrift wrote:
> > In fact sometimes i extend my commute home if the weather's glorious,
> > do a circuit of Vicky Park. My brother does the same in Richmond Park
> > to extend his pootle to a round 14 miles. Again, I can't imagine car
> > commuters doing that!
>
> I can and did. When we used to car-commute from Durham to where we now
> live we would sometimes extend the drive to take in a route over the
> moorland. In spring it was worth it for the curlews and lapwings, in
> late summer it was worth it for the heather. Even in winter it might be
> worth it for the dramatic weather.
>
> It was way too far to cycle other than the odd trip now and then.
> However, now that we don't have to commute we have more time to just go
> cycling (or running) on the moors. Which is much nicer.
>
> Colin

Fair enough, I meant a car driver's unlikely to extend his commute
through east London!

Colin Blackburn[_2_]
August 1st 08, 11:56 AM
spindrift wrote:
> On Aug 1, 11:52 am, Colin Blackburn > wrote:
>> spindrift wrote:
>>> In fact sometimes i extend my commute home if the weather's glorious,
>>> do a circuit of Vicky Park. My brother does the same in Richmond Park
>>> to extend his pootle to a round 14 miles. Again, I can't imagine car
>>> commuters doing that!
>> I can and did. When we used to car-commute from Durham to where we now
>> live we would sometimes extend the drive to take in a route over the
>> moorland. In spring it was worth it for the curlews and lapwings, in
>> late summer it was worth it for the heather. Even in winter it might be
>> worth it for the dramatic weather.
>>
>> It was way too far to cycle other than the odd trip now and then.
>> However, now that we don't have to commute we have more time to just go
>> cycling (or running) on the moors. Which is much nicer.
>>
>> Colin
>
> Fair enough, I meant a car driver's unlikely to extend his commute
> through east London!

I'm with you there!

Colin

Henry Lockwood
August 1st 08, 12:16 PM
On 1 Aug, 10:00, lardyninja > wrote:
> Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry, not too sunny, not
> too cloudy, not too windy. It's a beautiful summer Friday here in the
> capital. On days like these I can't understand why the streets aren't
> jammed with cyclists. Got to work with a big grin.
>
> LN

Breezy in Cambridge, but the weather's nice. I did notice a distinct
variation in effort required according to direciton of travel!

HL

Roger Thorpe[_4_]
August 1st 08, 12:18 PM
Henry Lockwood wrote:

> On 1 Aug, 10:00, lardyninja > wrote:
>
>>Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry, not too sunny, not
>>too cloudy, not too windy. It's a beautiful summer Friday here in the
>>capital. On days like these I can't understand why the streets aren't
>>jammed with cyclists. Got to work with a big grin.
>>
>>LN
>

> Breezy in Cambridge, but the weather's nice. I did notice a distinct
> variation in effort required according to direciton of travel!
>
> HL
Someone should make a cycle computer with and airspeed indicator.
Maybe they do?
Roger Thorpe

Clive George
August 1st 08, 01:09 PM
"spindrift" > wrote in message

> Um, why's the thread header "Baby bear"?

Which reminds me, read "The fourth bear", it's great.

(answer is "goldilocks").

POHB
August 1st 08, 01:22 PM
On 1 Aug, 10:00, lardyninja > wrote:
> Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry, not too sunny, not
> too cloudy, not too windy. It's a beautiful summer Friday here in the
> capital. On days like these I can't understand why the streets aren't
> jammed with cyclists. Got to work with a big grin.

The number of cyclists was going up and up with the onset of summer
but has taken a big dip since the school holidays started, but then so
has the rest of the traffic. However, today seemed especially quiet
on the roads. Fridays are always quieter, I guess folks take the day
off, work at home or come in on the train for a weekend getaway.

For me too, today was a great commute in. The breeze was behind me
and the traffic lights were kind.

Peter Clinch
August 1st 08, 01:23 PM
POHB wrote:

> For me too, today was a great commute in. The breeze was behind me

Ah, an againsterly to end the day then... sounds about right! ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

spindrift
August 1st 08, 01:33 PM
On Aug 1, 1:09*pm, "Clive George" > wrote:
> "spindrift" > wrote in message

> > Um, why's the thread header "Baby bear"?
>
> Which reminds me, read "The fourth bear", it's great.
>
> (answer is "goldilocks").

"Not too hot, not too cold"

Smites forehead.

Paul Boyd[_5_]
August 1st 08, 01:58 PM
POHB said the following on 01/08/2008 13:22:
> Fridays are always quieter, I guess folks take the day
> off, work at home or come in on the train for a weekend getaway.

There speaks someone who doesn't live and work on the M5 corridor. You
know all those people taking the day off? They're sitting in traffic
jams on the M5 going south on Fridays and Saturdays!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tim Hall
August 1st 08, 04:27 PM
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 05:22:22 -0700 (PDT), POHB >
wrote:

>For me too, today was a great commute in. The breeze was behind me
>and the traffic lights were kind.

Aye, PB or very nearly. Mind you I was on the fixer (so lighter than
my normal steed). In my enthusiasm I kidded myself my fitness was
really improving, until I saw the flags pointing the way I was going.

--
Tim

naked_draughtsman[_3_]
August 1st 08, 07:45 PM
On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:00:59 +0100, lardyninja wrote:

> Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry, not too sunny, not
> too cloudy, not too windy. It's a beautiful summer Friday here in the
> capital. On days like these I can't understand why the streets aren't
> jammed with cyclists. Got to work with a big grin.

Those who don't like getting wet know better: it was glorious and sunny
here at 6am so I managed to get out of bed with ease which gave enough
time for a decent ride this morning. I even felt the need for sunglasses
when I set off.

30 mins later and into the hills it was raining!

peter

Martin[_2_]
August 1st 08, 10:20 PM
Roger Thorpe wrote:
> Henry Lockwood wrote:

>> Breezy in Cambridge, but the weather's nice. I did notice a distinct
>> variation in effort required according to direciton of travel!
>>
>> HL
> Someone should make a cycle computer with and airspeed indicator.
> Maybe they do?

Not a good idea, I would have to go out and buy one.

POHB
August 2nd 08, 03:39 PM
On 1 Aug, 13:23, Peter Clinch > wrote:
> POHB wrote:
> > For me too, today was a great commute in. The breeze was behind me
>
> Ah, an againsterly to end the day then... sounds about right! ;-/

Indeed it was. Legs were feeling somewhat jellied by the time I got
home.

Nuxx Bar
August 2nd 08, 05:58 PM
On Aug 1, 10:00*am, lardyninja > wrote:
> Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry, not too sunny, not
> too cloudy, not too windy. It's a beautiful summer Friday here in the
> capital. On days like these I can't understand why the streets aren't
> jammed with cyclists. Got to work with a big grin.

You may not understand it, but if other people want to drive, they
have every right to. Just because the streets aren't jammed with
cyclists, and there are people in cars who you personally think should
be cycling (despite knowing nothing about their journeys), that's no
reason to think badly of them, or (worse still) make things difficult
for them.

Cyclists need to stop worrying about whether other people are cycling
and why they're not cycling, and concentrate on enjoying their own
journeys and being as courteous as possible to *all* other road
users. "Encouraging more cycling" is mainly "discouraging driving"
under another name, and if discouraging driving isn't anti-motorist,
then what is?

If cyclists want motorists to be courteous to them, they have to get
out of the mindset that the motorists somehow "shouldn't be there",
with the general lack of polite behaviour that that leads to. The
road is a place for getting from A to B as safely as possible, not a
place for discriminating against people on the basis of their form of
transport. If people feel the need to do that then they should do it
off the road through the appropriate channels, rather than attempting
to take direct action on the road.

Guy

Nuxx Bar
August 2nd 08, 06:07 PM
On Aug 1, 10:10*am, spindrift > wrote:
> The bike ride is the best part of the day.

Better than when you take smack? Even when you do weed with it? I
hope you've got methadone for the times when you can't score BTW,
because you coming on here in the throws of withdrawal would make you
even more vicious and cranky than usual.

Perhaps you don't have a problem with scoring though. Perhaps you're
quite far up the chain, and you sell as well. After all, what's a bit
of dealing when you think nothing of getting workplaces evacuated with
serious threats?

Roger Merriman
August 5th 08, 07:53 PM
lardyninja > wrote:

> Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry, not too sunny, not
> too cloudy, not too windy. It's a beautiful summer Friday here in the
> capital. On days like these I can't understand why the streets aren't
> jammed with cyclists. Got to work with a big grin.
>
> LN

quite a few in strawberry hill last week, lots of summer dresses and
wicker baskets.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com