PDA

View Full Version : Route Manchester to Liverpool

Steph Peters
September 21st 08, 12:38 AM
Next Friday DH and I are off to the Isle of Man for 5 days of cycling. The
ferry company thoughtfully have an early evening departure and an early
morning return, so we can cycle to and from Liverpool instead of messing
around with trains. I know how to get to Liverpool by car along the East
Lancs Road, and it would be horrible to cycle. The Trans Pennine Trail is
far too wobbly and has too many gates that won't take laden panniers. So
does anyone have suggestions for a road route from South Manchester to
Liverpool Pier Head?
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

naked_draughtsman[_3_]
September 21st 08, 09:28 AM
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:38:52 +0100, Steph Peters wrote:

> Next Friday DH and I are off to the Isle of Man for 5 days of cycling. The
> ferry company thoughtfully have an early evening departure and an early
> morning return, so we can cycle to and from Liverpool instead of messing
> around with trains. I know how to get to Liverpool by car along the East
> Lancs Road, and it would be horrible to cycle. The Trans Pennine Trail is
> far too wobbly and has too many gates that won't take laden panniers. So
> does anyone have suggestions for a road route from South Manchester to
> Liverpool Pier Head?

I found the Trans Pennine trail pretty good from Warrington (Thelwall) up
to near Heatley where the county boundary is. The different was
incredible, and they've even thoughtfully put up a sign where it changes
so you know exactly which council is responsible for it!
I can't remember about gates though, I was on a mountain bike but I could
ride around everything.

peter

TerryJ
September 21st 08, 01:41 PM
Steph Peters wrote:
> Next Friday DH and I are off to the Isle of Man for 5 days of cycling. The
> ferry company thoughtfully have an early evening departure and an early
> morning return, so we can cycle to and from Liverpool instead of messing
> around with trains. I know how to get to Liverpool by car along the East
> Lancs Road, and it would be horrible to cycle. The Trans Pennine Trail is
> far too wobbly and has too many gates that won't take laden panniers. So
> does anyone have suggestions for a road route from South Manchester to
> Liverpool Pier Head?
> --
> Steph Peters
> Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
> Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
> http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Liverpool-to-Manchester128504
A search for 'liverpool' came up with this on page 1. no doubt there are
others.
or you could go to google maps, look at an area mid way between and
search'bikely'

TerryJ

TerryJ
September 21st 08, 01:54 PM
terryj wrote:
> Steph Peters wrote:
>> Next Friday DH and I are off to the Isle of Man for 5 days of
>> cycling. The
>> ferry company thoughtfully have an early evening departure and an early
>> morning return, so we can cycle to and from Liverpool instead of messing
>> around with trains. I know how to get to Liverpool by car along the East
>> Lancs Road, and it would be horrible to cycle. The Trans Pennine
>> Trail is
>> far too wobbly and has too many gates that won't take laden panniers. So
>> does anyone have suggestions for a road route from South Manchester to
>> Liverpool Pier Head? --
>> Steph Peters
>> Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
>> Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
>> http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm
>
> http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Liverpool-to-Manchester128504
> A search for 'liverpool' came up with this on page 1. no doubt there are
> others.
> or you could go to google maps, look at an area mid way between and
> search'bikely'
>
> TerryJ

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Liverpool-to-Manchester

and this. Fron south manchester I wouls go via stretford and flixton,
though, or use the mersey valley paths to get west of the city

Steph Peters
September 23rd 08, 12:20 AM
terryj > of Aioe.org NNTP Server wrote:

>terryj wrote:
>> Steph Peters wrote:
>>> Next Friday DH and I are off to the Isle of Man for 5 days of
>>> cycling. The
>>> ferry company thoughtfully have an early evening departure and an early
>>> morning return, so we can cycle to and from Liverpool instead of messing
>>> around with trains. I know how to get to Liverpool by car along the East
>>> Lancs Road, and it would be horrible to cycle. The Trans Pennine
>>> Trail is
>>> far too wobbly and has too many gates that won't take laden panniers. So
>>> does anyone have suggestions for a road route from South Manchester to
>>> Liverpool Pier Head? --

>> http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Liverpool-to-Manchester128504
>> A search for 'liverpool' came up with this on page 1. no doubt there are
>> others.
>> or you could go to google maps, look at an area mid way between and
>> search'bikely'
>>
>> TerryJ
>

>http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Liverpool-to-Manchester
>
>and this. Fron south manchester I wouls go via stretford and flixton,
>though, or use the mersey valley paths to get west of the city

Thanks, there's a good route for the middle part there, but will need
tweaking at the beginning and end. Just for fun I once cycled from home
along the Trans Pennine Trail which pretty much is the Mersey Valley paths
to my friend's house in Urmston, then home via the roads. As I expected the
river route was almost exactly double the road distance. Didsbury,
Northenden, Timperley, Altrincham, Dunham, Heatley and over the Mersey at
Warburton looks best for that part.

--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

virgin user
September 24th 08, 07:53 AM
Your ride seems to be purely to get you to the ferry. The East lancs would
be the quickest, and though you may shoot me for saying it, has pavement for
its entire length, that few walk on, due to its nature. Far safer than
riding on the Lancs, which I wouldn't do even as a last resort

Steph Peters
September 25th 08, 12:15 AM
"virgin user" > of at home with virgin wrote:

>Your ride seems to be purely to get you to the ferry. The East lancs would
>be the quickest, and though you may shoot me for saying it, has pavement for
>its entire length, that few walk on, due to its nature. Far safer than
>riding on the Lancs, which I wouldn't do even as a last resort

The bit out Altrincham way has some nice scenery, and I'm hoping for some
pleasant parts just west of Warrington too. The East Lancs has wide
pavement at least around Boothstown and Worsley, where some of it is
official shared use.

The ride is to get to and from the ferry, in order to fulfil my desire to do
a 'proper' bicycle tour, where I leave home by bike and return by bike,
doing all land travel by bike.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home