PDA

View Full Version : Aaargh, got me!

PhilD
September 26th 08, 08:49 AM
Pleasant ride out to the theatre last night. Locked up, took off all
lights and mileometer and went in to enjoy the concert (Marty Wilde,
if you're interested).

Came out afterwards and found just my lock, neatly cut. No bike
anywhere. Grrrr. Now I have three lights and a mileometer with no
mounting brackets/clips.

Police have been informed, followed by a long walk home.

On a more serious note, if anyone in the Swindon area spots a modern
construction Raleigh Sports, it's probably mine (though I know of an
old man who also has one, so don't hassle him!). This is the actual
bike <http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/bikes/Lenton.jpg>, with a
description on <http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/bikes/
family.htm> (see "Lenton", even though it isn't a Lenton).

The fact that the lock was so neatly cut suggests to me that someone
was wandering around with some cutters specifically to look for a bike
to steal (so more planned than opportunist), so I doubt I'll see this
old friend again.

:-(

PhilD

--
<><

Peter Clinch
September 26th 08, 09:58 AM
PhilD wrote:

> The fact that the lock was so neatly cut suggests to me that someone
> was wandering around with some cutters specifically to look for a bike
> to steal (so more planned than opportunist), so I doubt I'll see this
> old friend again.

When I was at Uni the trick was not to ride to a gig at De Montfort Hall
and leave a bike anywhere near it. The thieves knew the owners would be
a while and the quarry was neatly concentrated for them...

Guess the same still applies :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

September 26th 08, 12:09 PM
On 26 Sep, 09:58, Peter Clinch > wrote:
> PhilD wrote:
> > The fact that the lock was so neatly cut suggests to me that someone
> > was wandering around with some cutters specifically to look for a bike
> > to steal (so more planned than opportunist), so I doubt I'll see this
> > old friend again.
>
> When I was at Uni the trick was not to ride to a gig at De Montfort Hall
> and leave a bike anywhere near it. *The thieves knew the owners would be
> a while and the quarry was neatly concentrated for them...
>
> Guess the same still applies :-(
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch * * * * * * * * * *Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 * Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 * * * * * * *Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net * *http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

With sympathy. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. xx

al Mossah
September 26th 08, 12:12 PM
On 26 Sep, 08:49, PhilD > wrote:
> Pleasant ride out to the theatre last night. Locked up, took off all
> lights and mileometer and went in to enjoy the concert (Marty Wilde,
> if you're interested).
>
> Came out afterwards and found just my lock, neatly cut. No bike
> anywhere. Grrrr. Now I have three lights and a mileometer with no
> mounting brackets/clips.
>
> Police have been informed, followed by a long walk home.
>
> On a more serious note, if anyone in the Swindon area spots a modern
> construction Raleigh Sports, it's probably mine (though I know of an
> old man who also has one, so don't hassle him!). This is the actual
> bike <http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/bikes/Lenton.jpg>, with a
> description on <http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/bikes/
> family.htm> (see "Lenton", even though it isn't a Lenton).
>
> The fact that the lock was so neatly cut suggests to me that someone
> was wandering around with some cutters specifically to look for a bike
> to steal (so more planned than opportunist), so I doubt I'll see this
> old friend again.
>
> :-(
>
> PhilD
>
> --
> <><

Will keep an eye out...

Peter.

Clive George
September 26th 08, 12:14 PM
"PhilD" > wrote in message

> Came out afterwards and found just my lock, neatly cut. No bike
> anywhere. Grrrr. Now I have three lights and a mileometer with no
> mounting brackets/clips.

Cable lock?

cheers,
clive

PhilD
September 26th 08, 02:00 PM
On Sep 26, 12:14*pm, "Clive George" > wrote:
> Cable lock?

Yes. I'd actually set out without a lock, remembered before getting
too too far, rushed home, and got the nearest one available.

PhilD

--
<><

Nuxx Bar
September 27th 08, 02:41 PM
On Sep 26, 9:58*am, Peter Clinch > wrote:
> PhilD wrote:
> > The fact that the lock was so neatly cut suggests to me that someone
> > was wandering around with some cutters specifically to look for a bike
> > to steal (so more planned than opportunist), so I doubt I'll see this
> > old friend again.
>
> When I was at Uni the trick was not to ride to a gig at De Montfort Hall
> and leave a bike anywhere near it. *The thieves knew the owners would be
> a while and the quarry was neatly concentrated for them...

Hope you got yours nicked many times. (Not that I normally approve of
stealing, but when it's from lying scumbags, it's hard not to
laugh....)

Roger Thorpe[_6_]
September 30th 08, 10:46 AM
PhilD wrote:
> On Sep 26, 12:14 pm, "Clive George" > wrote:
>> Cable lock?
>

> Yes. I'd actually set out without a lock, remembered before getting
> too too far, rushed home, and got the nearest one available.
>
> PhilD
>
> --
> <><
I don't suppose it helps to say that it's a nice looking bike, but you
do have my sympathy. It is very distinctive and not really desirable to
your ordinary thief so you never know, it might turn up dumped somewhere.
Roger Thorpe

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home