PDA

View Full Version : digital caliper chain wear measurment

anern
October 1st 08, 11:17 AM
Hi,
Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do they go
about it ?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Rob Morley
October 1st 08, 11:21 AM
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:17:42 +0100
"anern" > wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do
> they go about it ?

Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?

Pete Biggs
October 1st 08, 11:22 AM
anern wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do
>>> they go about it ?
>>>
>> Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?
>>
> I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof
> method with a caliper.

With a ruler, you measure a whole 12" from pin centre to pin centre, with
the chain under tension (its own weight should provide enough tension if
hanging vertically). Any elongation is then multiplied by the number of
links, so the total is large enough to see by eye when it's time to change
the chain.

There are special chain checkers (from Park, etc) if you don't like that
method. They fit into the chain to give a consistent measurement. You
can't do that with ordinary digital calipers.

~PB

anern
October 1st 08, 11:29 AM
> > Hi,
> > Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do
> > they go about it ?
> >
> Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?

I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof method
with a caliper.

Rob Morley
October 1st 08, 11:41 AM
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:29:52 +0100
"anern" > wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how
> > > do they go about it ?
> > >
> > Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?
> >
> I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof
> method with a caliper.

Can't you see the 1/16" marks on a measuring scale?

POHB
October 1st 08, 11:43 AM
A ruler works for me, it's not as if you're trying to measure fractions of a
mm

Pete Biggs
October 1st 08, 11:56 AM
Tim Hall wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:41:35 +0100, Rob Morley >
> wrote:
>> Can't you see the 1/16" marks on a measuring scale?
>
> Except when a chain is worn, 12 links measure more than 12". My steel
> ruler is only marked up to 12". One day I'll scribe extra marks at 12
> & 1/16" and 12 & 1/8"

It's not dfficult to estimate 1/16" when you've got a guide in front of you.

~PB

Phil Cook
October 1st 08, 12:23 PM
anern wrote:

>> > Hi,
>> > Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do
>> > they go about it ?
>> >
>> Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?
>>
>I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof method
>with a caliper.

I use a Park go-no-go chain gauge.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-3

Tim Hall
October 1st 08, 12:25 PM

--
Tim

_[_2_]
October 1st 08, 12:50 PM
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:22:04 +0200, Pete Biggs wrote:

>>> Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?
>>>
>> I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof
>> method with a caliper.
>
> With a ruler, you measure a whole 12" from pin centre to pin centre, with
> the chain under tension (its own weight should provide enough tension if
> hanging vertically). Any elongation is then multiplied by the number of
> links, so the total is large enough to see by eye when it's time to change
> the chain.

Most accurate when the chain has been washed - grit between the rollers and
pins can take up space and give a false reading.

_[_2_]
October 1st 08, 12:51 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:25:14 +0100, Tim Hall wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:41:35 +0100, Rob Morley >
> wrote:

>>> I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof
>>> method with a caliper.
>>>
>>Can't you see the 1/16" marks on a measuring scale?
>

> Except when a chain is worn, 12 links measure more than 12". My steel
> ruler is only marked up to 12". One day I'll scribe extra marks at 12
> & 1/16" and 12 & 1/8"

Measure six links.

Tim Hall
October 1st 08, 01:18 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:51:01 GMT, _
> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:25:14 +0100, Tim Hall wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:41:35 +0100, Rob Morley >
>> wrote:

>>>Can't you see the 1/16" marks on a measuring scale?
>>

>> Except when a chain is worn, 12 links measure more than 12". My steel
>> ruler is only marked up to 12". One day I'll scribe extra marks at 12
>> & 1/16" and 12 & 1/8"
>
>Measure six links.

The "stretch" will be half as much. More room for error. I know,
I'll measure six links twice...

--
Tim

Rob Morley
October 1st 08, 01:28 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:51:01 GMT
_ > wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:25:14 +0100, Tim Hall wrote:

> > Except when a chain is worn, 12 links measure more than 12". My
> > steel ruler is only marked up to 12". One day I'll scribe extra
> > marks at 12 & 1/16" and 12 & 1/8"
>
> Measure six links.

But then you're looking at measuring 1mm +/- a bit, which is harder to
see.

Martin[_2_]
October 1st 08, 01:59 PM
anern wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do they go
> about it ?

Like someone else mentioned, I also use a park tool gauge on my chains,
it is easy to use and takes about 2s, and the cost of the tool has
probably saved me in replacement sprockets/chainrings etc.

If I were to use a vernier, I would measure and record the length of
e.g. four links (about 100mm) when the chain is brand new, by using the
inside edges of the caliper to measure between rollers inside the chain
(much like the park tool one does).

I would then periodically measure the chain using the same method, and a
one mm increase in this distance would be about a 1% stretch in the chain.

Martin.

October 1st 08, 02:16 PM
On Oct 1, 12:23 pm, Phil Cook > wrote:

> >> Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?
>
> >I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof method
> >with a caliper.
>
> I use a Park go-no-go chain gauge.
>
> http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-3
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Now that I like :)

Sniper8052

David Damerell
October 1st 08, 03:02 PM
Quoting Tim Hall >:
> wrote:
>>Measure six links.
>The "stretch" will be half as much. More room for error. I know,
>I'll measure six links twice...

I measure eleven links. Surely I'm not the only one?
--
David Damerell > Kill the tomato!
Today is First Chedday, September - a public holiday.

_[_2_]
October 1st 08, 05:30 PM
This has been posted because I, "_", keep on being an unbelievable
****wit. Once I, "_", have stopped being an unbelievable ****wit,
things will be able to get back to normal. So next time I, "_", am an
unbelievable ****wit by trying to ruin threads by those who I don't
(publicly) agree with, be sure to state that you are not happy with
it, because otherwise, posts like this will continue.

No ruining threads = no ruining threads. He started it, and now it's
up to him to stop it.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
October 1st 08, 06:26 PM
Can someone post Nuxxy a link to the kleenex website, he'll need it
to clean the spittle of his monitor. He'll need to be quick as I
suspect by now several people will have reported his forgeries and
other abuses to his ISP.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

_[_2_]
October 1st 08, 07:32 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:26:00 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Can someone post Nuxxy a link to the kleenex website, he'll need it
> to clean the spittle of his monitor. He'll need to be quick as I
> suspect by now several people will have reported his forgeries and
> other abuses to his ISP.

Thanks, Guy.

And others.

Let us know if his ISP replies.

"Now is the Winter of ours discontent..."

(with apoligies to WS)

Rob Morley
October 1st 08, 08:04 PM
On 01 Oct 2008 15:02:07 +0100 (BST)
David Damerell > wrote:

> Quoting Tim Hall >:
> > wrote:
> >>Measure six links.
> >The "stretch" will be half as much. More room for error. I know,
> >I'll measure six links twice...
>
> I measure eleven links. Surely I'm not the only one?

'kin weirdo. :-)

Clive George
October 1st 08, 08:19 PM
"Rob Morley" > wrote in message
> On 01 Oct 2008 15:02:07 +0100 (BST)
> David Damerell > wrote:
>
>> Quoting Tim Hall >:
>> >The "stretch" will be half as much. More room for error. I know,
>> >I'll measure six links twice...
>>
>> I measure eleven links. Surely I'm not the only one?
>
> 'kin weirdo. :-)

Yeah, but he does get to go to eleven.

Guy - don't feed the trolls
October 2nd 08, 11:59 AM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Can someone post Nuxxy a link to the kleenex website, he'll need it
> to clean the spittle of his monitor. He'll need to be quick as I
> suspect by now several people will have reported his forgeries and
> other abuses to his ISP.
>
> Guy

Certainly - I would have thought you would have had it - you must get
through them whilst you wank for England.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home