PDA

View Full Version : "Don't feed the Troll" posts

Tom Crispin
October 1st 08, 04:10 PM
The Breidbart Index is used, as a guide, by many ISPs to decided if
messages to newsgroups are cancellable spam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breidbart_Index

Each substantially similar post, by a single person, over a 45 day
period is counted. Quoted text is not considered. For a single
message posted to multiple newsgroups, the square root of the number
of newsgroups posted to is added to the Breidbart Index Value.

It is generally agreed by ISPs that a Breidbart Index of 20 or over is
cancellable spam.

The recent spate of "Don't feed the Trolls" posts has now exceeded, or
is close to exceeding, a Breidbart Index value of 20, and is therefore
cancellable spam or close to being cancellable spam.

I therefore suggest to the "Don't feed the trolls" posters that they
stop spamming the group with their posts immediately. If they do not
they risk action being taken against them by their Internet service
providers.

Nuxx Bar
October 1st 08, 04:20 PM
On Oct 1, 4:10*pm, Tom Crispin >
wrote:
> The Breidbart Index is used, as a guide, by many ISPs to decided if
> messages to newsgroups are cancellable spam.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breidbart_Index
>
> Each substantially similar post, by a single person, over a 45 day
> period is counted. *Quoted text is not considered. *For a single
> message posted to multiple newsgroups, the square root of the number
> of newsgroups posted to is added to the Breidbart Index Value.
>
> It is generally agreed by ISPs that a Breidbart Index of 20 or over is
> cancellable spam.
>
> The recent spate of "Don't feed the Trolls" posts has now exceeded, or
> is close to exceeding, a Breidbart Index value of 20, and is therefore
> cancellable spam or close to being cancellable spam.
>
> I therefore suggest to the "Don't feed the trolls" posters that they
> stop spamming the group with their posts immediately. *If they do not
> they risk action being taken against them by their Internet service
> providers.

GENIUS! The ******'s getting flak from all sides, and quite right
too.

Going to stop the useless, hypocritical, trolling replies now, "_"?
(Of course, even if you do, I'm still going to target you for a long
time yet...should have heeded that final warning!)

Tosspot[_2_]
October 1st 08, 04:49 PM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> The Breidbart Index is used, as a guide, by many ISPs to decided if
> messages to newsgroups are cancellable spam.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breidbart_Index
>
> Each substantially similar post, by a single person, over a 45 day
> period is counted. Quoted text is not considered. For a single
> message posted to multiple newsgroups, the square root of the number
> of newsgroups posted to is added to the Breidbart Index Value.
>
> It is generally agreed by ISPs that a Breidbart Index of 20 or over is
> cancellable spam.
>
> The recent spate of "Don't feed the Trolls" posts has now exceeded, or
> is close to exceeding, a Breidbart Index value of 20, and is therefore
> cancellable spam or close to being cancellable spam.
>
> I therefore suggest to the "Don't feed the trolls" posters that they
> stop spamming the group with their posts immediately. If they do not
> they risk action being taken against them by their Internet service
> providers.

ROTFL! Classic, you couldn't make this **** up!

Paul Boyd[_5_]
October 1st 08, 05:07 PM
Tom Crispin said the following on 01/10/2008 16:10:

> I therefore suggest to the "Don't feed the trolls" posters that they
> stop spamming the group with their posts immediately. If they do not
> they risk action being taken against them by their Internet service
> providers.

Did you see that one of his own "DFTT" posts got auto-DFTT'ed by
himself? Lovely!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tim Dunne
October 1st 08, 05:13 PM
Paul Boyd wrote:

> Did you see that one of his own "DFTT" posts got auto-DFTT'ed by
> himself? Lovely!

I'm assuming you're not reading this because you've killfiled me, but
I'll try again; the post that'_' replied to in that case was a forgery.

Hopefully someone may point this out to you...

Tim

--
My hearts numbered beat | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
Still echoes in this empty room |All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org

Paul Boyd[_5_]
October 1st 08, 05:21 PM
Tim Dunne said the following on 01/10/2008 17:13:

> I'm assuming you're not reading this because you've killfiled me, but
> I'll try again; the post that'_' replied to in that case was a forgery.

Why would I KF you? I don't care if it was a forgery or not, trolls now
seem to be trolling each other, which is great!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Clive George
October 1st 08, 05:25 PM
"Paul Boyd" > wrote in message
> Tom Crispin said the following on 01/10/2008 16:10:
>
>> I therefore suggest to the "Don't feed the trolls" posters that they
>> stop spamming the group with their posts immediately. If they do not
>> they risk action being taken against them by their Internet service
>> providers.
>
> Did you see that one of his own "DFTT" posts got auto-DFTT'ed by himself?
> Lovely!

Just in case you've KF'd Tim Dunne as well, it wasn't. The first one was a
forgery.

cheers,
clive

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
October 1st 08, 05:26 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:07:36 +0100, Paul Boyd >
said in >:

>Did you see that one of his own "DFTT" posts got auto-DFTT'ed by
>himself? Lovely!

It was a forgery, by nuxx bar.

<http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/9337f1c2311e6a71?dmode=source>
<http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/31b01cceb2183a68?dmode=source>

Note that the IP address in both posts is the same, 88.105.255.206.

I suspect , and
would be marginally interested, as by my reading
it violates the terms of service for all the services used.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

dkahn400
October 1st 08, 05:34 PM
On 1 Oct, 17:07, Paul Boyd > wrote:

> Did you see that one of his own "DFTT" posts got auto-DFTT'ed by
> himself? *Lovely!

In case you didn't see Tim's reply, no. The post he replied to was a
forgery posted by Nuxxy.

--
Dave...

Nuxx Bar
October 1st 08, 05:47 PM
On Oct 1, 5:13*pm, Tim Dunne > wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
> > Did you see that one of his own "DFTT" posts got auto-DFTT'ed by
> > himself? *Lovely!
>
> I'm assuming you're not reading this because you've killfiled me, but
> I'll try again; the post that'_' replied to in that case was a forgery.

Killfiled by a fellow motorist-hater? Oh dear. Infighting tends to
be common among those who are united by holding (or purporting to
hold) an illogical position, so it's hardly surprising I suppose.

To be fair, you and "_" ("_" in particular) are exceptionally boring,
posting little more than "Don't feed the troll". At least the other
motorist-haters actually vary what they say, even if it is lying
********. The funniest thing is that both of you only posted "Don't
feed the troll" in the first place to show off and win the respect of
the regulars, rather than to stop people replying to me, and it's
completely backfired.

I see you've now realised (belatedly) that it's a stupid idea, and
sooner or later, "_" will as well (and he'll hugely regret not doing
it sooner, when he was asked nicely). He's *incredibly* obstinate
though: I reckon he's probably already realised there's no point in
doing it, but just because I and other people have told him to stop,
he's forced himself to carry on (despite not really wanting to),
afraid that otherwise he'll be seen as "backing down" and "doing what
people tell him" and therefore "weak". You do have to wonder how old
he is, and how insecure.

At the end of the day, all he's really succeeded in doing is
attracting my attention in a major way. The fact that he's *still*
posting "Don't feed the Troll", despite knowing that it will attract
my attention, shows that he's not really bothered by my posts, and he
really is just posting "Don't feed the Troll" to show off and/or get
on my wick (which admittedly it is doing, but it hasn't stopped me
starting new threads as Nuxx Bar, and by the end of this, he'll be far
more annoyed with me than vice versa).

Tim Dunne
October 1st 08, 05:51 PM
8<...

_____________________
/| /| | | |
||__|| | | I couldn't give a |
/ O O\__ | toss... |
/ \ | thank you. |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

--
My hearts numbered beat | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
Still echoes in this empty room |All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org
Fear wells in me, but nothing seems| Is your ISP pimping your data?
Enough to defend Dave Matthews| www.badphorm.co.uk

judith
October 1st 08, 06:46 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:51:36 GMT, Tim Dunne
> wrote:

>8<...
>
> _____________________
> /| /| | | |
> ||__|| | | I couldn't give a |
> / O O\__ | toss... |
> / \ | thank you. |
> / \ \|_____________________|
> / _ \ \ ||
> / |\____\ \ ||
> / | | | |\____/ ||
> / \|_|_|/ | _||
> / / \ |____| ||
> / | | | --|
> | | | |____ --|
> * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
>*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
> / _ \\ | / `
>* / \_ /- | | |
> * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Ho, ho, ho

That's even funnier than your normal attempts - keep up the good work.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit

judith
October 1st 08, 06:54 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:26:18 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

<snip>

>I suspect , and
would be marginally interested, as by my reading
>it violates the terms of service for all the services used.
>
>Guy

You are a card Chapman - any chance of you telling us why you changed
your posting address recently? Someone grass you up that you were
breaking the TOS of your provider - ho, ho, ho.

I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit
their heads. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy
Chapman) - proven to be an outright lie.
He then quickly changed his web page - but "forgot" to change the date
of last amendment

_[_2_]
October 1st 08, 07:31 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:10:16 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:

> The Breidbart Index is used, as a guide, by many ISPs to decided if
> messages to newsgroups are cancellable spam.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breidbart_Index
>
> Each substantially similar post, by a single person, over a 45 day
> period is counted. Quoted text is not considered. For a single
> message posted to multiple newsgroups, the square root of the number
> of newsgroups posted to is added to the Breidbart Index Value.
>
> It is generally agreed by ISPs that a Breidbart Index of 20 or over is
> cancellable spam.
>
> The recent spate of "Don't feed the Trolls" posts has now exceeded, or
> is close to exceeding, a Breidbart Index value of 20, and is therefore
> cancellable spam or close to being cancellable spam.
>
> I therefore suggest to the "Don't feed the trolls" posters that they
> stop spamming the group with their posts immediately. If they do not
> they risk action being taken against them by their Internet service
> providers.

True enough (though I doubt my ISP would give a toss).

I suppose I could quote the Trolls' posts in their entirety and evade the
Breidbart index that way....

....just kidding.

But one must not put up with bullies, just as one need not reply to Trolls;
phase two will be ready in a day or so, and if you have DFTT in your filter
by subject then you won't see that either.

Funny that the Trolls don't use filters...

Tom Crispin
October 1st 08, 09:31 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:31:41 GMT, _
> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:10:16 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:
>
>> The Breidbart Index is used, as a guide, by many ISPs to decided if
>> messages to newsgroups are cancellable spam.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breidbart_Index
>>
>> Each substantially similar post, by a single person, over a 45 day
>> period is counted. Quoted text is not considered. For a single
>> message posted to multiple newsgroups, the square root of the number
>> of newsgroups posted to is added to the Breidbart Index Value.
>>
>> It is generally agreed by ISPs that a Breidbart Index of 20 or over is
>> cancellable spam.
>>
>> The recent spate of "Don't feed the Trolls" posts has now exceeded, or
>> is close to exceeding, a Breidbart Index value of 20, and is therefore
>> cancellable spam or close to being cancellable spam.
>>
>> I therefore suggest to the "Don't feed the trolls" posters that they
>> stop spamming the group with their posts immediately. If they do not
>> they risk action being taken against them by their Internet service
>> providers.
>
>True enough (though I doubt my ISP would give a toss).

In extreme cases, ISPs can have something called a UDP (Usenet Death
Penalty) put on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_Death_Penalty

Even Altopia, which has one of the most liberal ToS in the business,
will suspend or cancel someone's account if they exceed a BI value of
20.

>I suppose I could quote the Trolls' posts in their entirety and evade the
>Breidbart index that way....
>
>...just kidding.

Quoted text does not count as part of a substantially similar message,
so quoting the original poster won't help you at all.

>But one must not put up with bullies, just as one need not reply to Trolls;
>phase two will be ready in a day or so, and if you have DFTT in your filter
>by subject then you won't see that either.

I don't use filters, and never have done. Fortunately I have a
newsreader which just lets me glide through posts in which I have no
interest so I'm not particularly bothered by spam or trolling.

Tim Dunne
October 1st 08, 09:46 PM
_ wrote:

> But one must not put up with bullies, just as one need not reply to Trolls;

Indeed not. I find it saddening that some of those whom I thought to be
cluefull seem all too willing to rise to trollbait and engage with those
who nymshift and sockpuppet their way through a group with little goal
other than to disrupt and divide. It's quite clear that both our current
irritants are in fact the same poster, as it is also clear that it's a
Tiscali user terminating connection at Milton Keynes who's clever enough
to attempt to hide their tracks. I doubt they even have an interest in
the subjects they claim. What we do know is that by ignoring bait and
posting troll warnings is the only way to truly annoy them - attempting
to debate seems to do little but amuse them.

Ultimately, the continual assertions about you and Guy will be enough
for the relevant abuse departments to terminate service.

> phase two will be ready in a day or so, and if you have DFTT in your filter
> by subject then you won't see that either.

Interesting.

> Funny that the Trolls don't use filters...

They're doing this for narcissistic reasons; do you really think they
want to miss anything?

Tim

--
My hearts numbered beat | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
Still echoes in this empty room |All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org
Fear wells in me, but nothing seems| Is your ISP pimping your data?
Enough to defend Dave Matthews| www.badphorm.co.uk

judith
October 1st 08, 10:07 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:46:48 GMT, Tim Dunne
> wrote:

<snip>

>Ultimately, the continual assertions about you and Guy will be enough
>for the relevant abuse departments to terminate service.

In your dreams sunshine.
Show me one thing I have ever said about Chapman which was not true.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit
their heads. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy
Chapman) - proven to be an outright lie.
He then quickly changed his web page - but "forgot" to change the date
of last amendment

I've told you - I am NOT Phil Lee
October 2nd 08, 11:54 AM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:07:36 +0100, Paul Boyd >
> said in >:
>
>> Did you see that one of his own "DFTT" posts got auto-DFTT'ed by
>> himself? Lovely!
>
> It was a forgery, by nuxx bar.

No **** - was it?

Google