PDA

View Full Version : ATAC and Crank Bros cleats interchangeable?

Mamba
October 6th 08, 06:47 PM
Will cleats for ATAC pedals also work correctly with something like
eggbeaters? They sure appear to be the same, are there subtle differences
that make them incompatible?

Ryan Cousineau
October 7th 08, 04:30 AM
In article >,
"Mamba" > wrote:

> Will cleats for ATAC pedals also work correctly with something like
> eggbeaters? They sure appear to be the same, are there subtle differences
> that make them incompatible?

Not having tested them, the answer is almost certainly no. It takes very
little to make cleats incompatible, and worse still, there have been
cases where SPD-like cleats were close enough that you'd get situations
where one cleat would enter a different pedal but be almost impossible
to release.

My Zinn MTB manual has a chart showing some of these Class-B-and-worse
semi-compatibles.

The ATACs don't even look that close to the Eggbeater design. At a
guess, they might clip in, but the fairly square-edged nose probably
won't release at anything approaching a normal angle. I may be wrong
about that.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home