PDA

View Full Version : lights that don't switch on in pockets

TerryJ
October 6th 08, 07:43 PM
I have got

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/Cycle/7/Smart/Lights_-_Front/

and

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_EL320_Front_Light/5360025761/

And various backlights

I really hate to get them out of a pocket or bag to find the batteries
flat because they have unprotected press switches.
The smart front light is especially bad, but the cateye is also very
susceptible.

Which lights, especially front but rear as well , have proper switches
that require some effort to switch on and will not set themselves off.

I would prefer to know about see-me lights of the cheaper variety rather
than 300gbp floodlights.

TerryJ

Pete Biggs
October 6th 08, 07:50 PM
terryj wrote:
> I have got
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/Cycle/7/Smart/Lights_-_Front/

? "We are sorry but we do not have any products that match what you are
trying to look at"

Smart Polaris front lights are good and require a reasonably firm push to
switch on. The are various versions. All are fne for being seen by.

For the rear: Cateye TL-130 or TL-150. These are older models with a very
firm switch.

If any of these turn on in your pockets, you're doing something funny with
your pockets :-)

~PB

Peter Fox[_5_]
October 6th 08, 08:33 PM
> I really hate to get them out of a pocket or bag to find the batteries
> flat because they have unprotected press switches.
> The smart front light is especially bad, but the cateye is also very
> susceptible.

Try this:
If the switch is 'on the rear' then when not in use store your lights inside
your gloves 'shining out'.

--
Peter (Prof) Fox
Multitude of things for beer, cycling, Morris and curiosities at

Rob Morley
October 6th 08, 09:06 PM
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 19:43:28 +0100
terryj > wrote:

> I really hate to get them out of a pocket or bag to find the
> batteries flat because they have unprotected press switches.
> The smart front light is especially bad, but the cateye is also very
> susceptible.

Why not just fit covers on the switches? Velcro, glue, bit of
plastic ...

Tom Anderson
October 7th 08, 12:27 AM
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, terryj wrote:

> I have got
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/Cycle/7/Smart/Lights_-_Front/
>
> and
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_EL320_Front_Light/5360025761/
>
> And various backlights
>
> I really hate to get them out of a pocket or bag to find the batteries
> flat because they have unprotected press switches. The smart front light
> is especially bad, but the cateye is also very susceptible.

Hmm. I have exactly the same Smart front (as far as i can tell), and don't
have a problem with it getting switched on. I'm not sure i've ever found
it switched on in my bag.

I have a Smart back light, however, which is an absolute ******* for
switching itself on. This one:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id31658.html

My bag isn't terribly crowded, though, and i don't keep my lights in my
pockets, so YMMV.

tom

--
For various unconvincing reasons, your call may be recorded.

Mark McNeill
October 7th 08, 07:34 AM
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:06:13 +0100
Rob Morley > wrote:

> > I really hate to get them out of a pocket or bag to find the
> > batteries flat because they have unprotected press switches.
> > The smart front light is especially bad, but the cateye is also
> > very susceptible.
> >
> Why not just fit covers on the switches? Velcro, glue, bit of
> plastic ...

I've superglued a blind grommet, e.g. -

http://tinyurl.com/4lxpjk

over small press switches before, and that's worked perfectly. The OP's
switches may be too big for that, though.

--
Mark, UK

TerryJ
October 7th 08, 12:29 PM
> > is especially bad, but the cateye is also very susceptible.
>
> Hmm. I have exactly the same Smart front (as far as i can tell), and don't
> have a problem with it getting switched on. I'm not sure i've ever found
> it switched on in my bag.
>
> I have a Smart back light, however, which is an absolute ******* for
> switching itself on. This one:
>
> http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id31658.html

That is odd because I think I am the other way round: while the rear
only rarely switches itself on the front has several times. I wonder
if I am more inclined to notice the front because it drains the
battery much quicker, whereas the red light can last days switched on.

While the rubber grommet is a fine idea I still think the light you
buy should have this sorted already.

Come to think of it the old cateye rear with bs6203 marks and a
reflector has a very positive switch, but it is a bit big for the
pocket.

Does anyone have a cateye uno? what is that like?

TerryJ

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home