PDA

View Full Version : bike choice

bluezfolk
October 13th 08, 12:57 AM
OK a very subjective question. I'm in the market for a road bike,
would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
compact crank would be nice but not necessary. In the under $1000.
price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully based
on experiences of youselves or someone you know. I've been an MTB
rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.

TIA
Eric

landotter
October 13th 08, 05:00 AM
On Oct 12, 6:57*pm, bluezfolk > wrote:
> OK a very subjective question. *I'm in the market for a road bike,
> would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
> compact crank would be nice but not necessary. *In the under $1000.
> price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully based
> on experiences of youselves or someone you know. *I've been an MTB
> rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.

The Redline road bikes are interesting in that they use regular
regular reach brakes and have eyelets on their carbon forks so you can
mount decent sized tires and fenders. I've got one of their fixed/
single speeds and it runs 32mm tires, no problem. I knew what I wanted
when I ordered it--as no one around here stocks Redline, and it came
as described. All the Redline branded parts are top notch and the
paint is great. Worth a look. The R750 runs around $700-800 with
Tiagra/Sora--but you can swap out the rear mech if the jewelry bugs
you. ;-)

That said--Trek probably has something...

Tom Keats
October 13th 08, 08:16 AM
In article >,
landotter > writes:
> On Oct 12, 6:57*pm, bluezfolk > wrote:
>> OK a very subjective question. *I'm in the market for a road bike,
>> would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
>> compact crank would be nice but not necessary. *In the under $1000.
>> price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully based
>> on experiences of youselves or someone you know. *I've been an MTB
>> rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.
> The Redline road bikes are interesting in that they use regular
> regular reach brakes and have eyelets on their carbon forks so you can
> mount decent sized tires and fenders. I've got one of their fixed/
> single speeds and it runs 32mm tires, no problem. I knew what I wanted
> when I ordered it--as no one around here stocks Redline, and it came
> as described. All the Redline branded parts are top notch and the
> paint is great. Worth a look. The R750 runs around $700-800 with
> Tiagra/Sora--but you can swap out the rear mech if the jewelry bugs
> you. ;-)

Yuppie bikes?

> That said--Trek probably has something...

Prob'ly.

Maybe also Da Vinci (if ya wanna go there.)
Especially w/ the carbon fork thing.

I don't have the brass neck to hop a carbon-fibre
(fibreglass) fork. I guess I'm just a chicken****.

cheers, & "thwack!"
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Art Harris
October 13th 08, 01:50 PM
Eric (bluezfolk) wrote:
> OK a very subjective question. *I'm in the market for a road bike,
> would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
> compact crank would be nice but not necessary. *In the under $1000.
> price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully based
> on experiences of youselves or someone you know. *I've been an MTB
> rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.

Before recommending specific bikes, it would be good to know what kind
of riding you envision. Will you want a triple crankset for hills? Do
you need STI or Ergo shifters or would bar end or down tube shifters
be acceptable?

Are you into long, fast riding on good roads, or short, leisurely
rides?

Anyway, here's one with a carbon fork and compact crank, but it comes
with 23mm tires:

http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11775

Or perhaps:

http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11504

http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11974

Art Harris

bluezfolk
October 13th 08, 05:23 PM
On Oct 13, 8:50 am, Art Harris > wrote:
> Eric (bluezfolk) wrote:
> > OK a very subjective question. I'm in the market for a road bike,
> > would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
> > compact crank would be nice but not necessary. In the under $1000.
> > price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully based
> > on experiences of youselves or someone you know. I've been an MTB
> > rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.
>
> Before recommending specific bikes, it would be good to know what kind
> of riding you envision. Will you want a triple crankset for hills? Do
> you need STI or Ergo shifters or would bar end or down tube shifters
> be acceptable?
>
> Are you into long, fast riding on good roads, or short, leisurely
> rides?
>
> Anyway, here's one with a carbon fork and compact crank, but it comes
> with 23mm tires:
>
> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11775
>
> Or perhaps:
>
> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11504
>
> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11974
>
> Art Harris

Thanks Art,
I'm on L.I. so no need for a triple crank, would like the most
convenient shifters, so the downtube shifters are out. The Spec Allez
is one of the models I've had in mind. I plan on doing some long
rides hopefully a century some day, mixed in with shorter faster
training rides.

bluezfolk
October 13th 08, 05:27 PM
On Oct 13, 8:50 am, Art Harris > wrote:
> Eric (bluezfolk) wrote:
> > OK a very subjective question. I'm in the market for a road bike,
> > would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
> > compact crank would be nice but not necessary. In the under $1000.
> > price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully based
> > on experiences of youselves or someone you know. I've been an MTB
> > rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.
>
> Before recommending specific bikes, it would be good to know what kind
> of riding you envision. Will you want a triple crankset for hills? Do
> you need STI or Ergo shifters or would bar end or down tube shifters
> be acceptable?
>
> Are you into long, fast riding on good roads, or short, leisurely
> rides?
>
> Anyway, here's one with a carbon fork and compact crank, but it comes
> with 23mm tires:
>
> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11775
>
> Or perhaps:
>
> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11504
>
> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11974
>
> Art Harris

Whoa, I answered to fast, all three have been considered, along with
the Felt F95. Whats the differe
nce between the Giant Defy line and the Giant OCR's?

Eric

Kristian M Zoerhoff
October 13th 08, 05:41 PM
On 2008-10-13, landotter > wrote:
> On Oct 12, 6:57*pm, bluezfolk > wrote:
>> OK a very subjective question. *I'm in the market for a road bike,
>> would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
>> compact crank would be nice but not necessary. *In the under $1000.
>> price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully based
>> on experiences of youselves or someone you know. *I've been an MTB
>> rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.
>

> The Redline road bikes are interesting in that they use regular
> [snip]
> That said--Trek probably has something...

Sounds pretty close to my Trek 1000 (which I think has been re-christened
the Trek 1.2 now). Carbon forks, eyelets for racks and fenders (I have
both). I ride 25s on it, but 28 /might/ fit. Comes with Tiagra, or at
least did when I bought it, but you could probably have a shop swap a
compact double in if you want it.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Art Harris
October 13th 08, 06:16 PM
Eric wrote:
> I'm on L.I. so no need for a triple crank,

Have you ever climbed Mill Hill Rd in Oyster Bay or East Broadway in
Port Jefferson? Well, OK they don't _require_ a triple, but a compact
crank would sure come in handy. I recently switched to a compact
(after many years with 42/52 and 39/53) and I like it.

>*The Spec Allez
> is one of the models I've had in mind. *I plan on doing some long
> rides hopefully a century some day, mixed in with shorter faster
> training rides

I don't have first hand experience with those bikes. The Specializeds
and Felts seem pretty popular. I would look for something with
conventional 32-spoke wheels (and double-butted spokes) and a frame
with adequate clearance for 25 or 28 mm tires. And of course make sure
you get the right size and are properly fitted (not just a standover
check).

Art Harris

Mike Jacoubowsky
October 13th 08, 06:23 PM
> Thanks Art,
> I'm on L.I. so no need for a triple crank, would like the most
> convenient shifters, so the downtube shifters are out. The Spec Allez
> is one of the models I've had in mind. I plan on doing some long
> rides hopefully a century some day, mixed in with shorter faster
> training rides.

A triple crank isn't just for where you ride now, but rather where you
might go with your bike in the future. There are definitely areas in the
northeast for which a triple could be a nice thing to have, and the
extra cost (about $50) and weight (6 ounces or so) are pretty small.

Trek does have a few models for you to consider; the 1.5 is probably the
killer app for the $$$ spent, and it will definitely take a 25c and
probably a 28c tire.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"bluezfolk" > wrote in message
> On Oct 13, 8:50 am, Art Harris > wrote:
>> Eric (bluezfolk) wrote:
>> > OK a very subjective question. I'm in the market for a road bike,
>> > would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
>> > compact crank would be nice but not necessary. In the under $1000.
>> > price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully
>> > based
>> > on experiences of youselves or someone you know. I've been an MTB
>> > rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.
>>
>> Before recommending specific bikes, it would be good to know what
>> kind
>> of riding you envision. Will you want a triple crankset for hills? Do
>> you need STI or Ergo shifters or would bar end or down tube shifters
>> be acceptable?
>>
>> Are you into long, fast riding on good roads, or short, leisurely
>> rides?
>>
>> Anyway, here's one with a carbon fork and compact crank, but it comes
>> with 23mm tires:
>>
>> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11775
>>
>> Or perhaps:
>>
>> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11504
>>
>> http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11974
>>
>> Art Harris
>
> Thanks Art,
> I'm on L.I. so no need for a triple crank, would like the most
> convenient shifters, so the downtube shifters are out. The Spec Allez
> is one of the models I've had in mind. I plan on doing some long
> rides hopefully a century some day, mixed in with shorter faster
> training rides.

PatTX
October 13th 08, 06:37 PM
::
:: A triple crank isn't just for where you ride now, but rather where
:: you might go with your bike in the future. There are definitely
:: areas in the northeast for which a triple could be a nice thing to
:: have, and the extra cost (about $50) and weight (6 ounces or so) are
:: pretty small.

I'm a believer in triple cranks, but I wonder why people think that the
compact ones are better than the regular ones. What am I missing? (when it
comes to this subject only)

Pat in TX

Mike Jacoubowsky
October 13th 08, 08:15 PM
"PatTX" > wrote in message
> ::
> :: A triple crank isn't just for where you ride now, but rather where
> :: you might go with your bike in the future. There are definitely
> :: areas in the northeast for which a triple could be a nice thing to
> :: have, and the extra cost (about $50) and weight (6 ounces or so)
> are
> :: pretty small.
>
> I'm a believer in triple cranks, but I wonder why people think that
> the compact ones are better than the regular ones. What am I missing?
> (when it comes to this subject only)
>

> Pat in TX

Switching to a compact from a standard crank allows you to get
significantly lower gearing (34t vs 39t on the small front) without
having to change shifters or derailleurs. For now, compact still serves
my needs. The day may come where that's no longer the case, although
Jobst would suggest that those of us who got used to taller gears at a
young age developed legs that can better handle the load later on as
well. I believe that he's correct on that one. Still, I use a variety of
gears when climbing... I don't drone along in a steady state in a single
gear. I'll use a lower gear and sit for a while, and kick it up a bit
and stand, all the while maintaining about the same speed. It just feels
better for me that way.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

bluezfolk
October 13th 08, 10:54 PM
On Oct 13, 12:37*pm, "PatTX" > wrote:
> ::
> :: A triple crank isn't just for where you ride now, but rather where
> :: you might go with your bike in the future. There are definitely
> :: areas in the northeast for which a triple could be a nice thing to
> :: have, and the extra cost (about $50) and weight (6 ounces or so) are
> :: pretty small.
>
> I'm a believer in triple cranks, but I wonder why people think that the
> compact ones are better than the regular ones. What am I missing? (when it
> comes to this subject only)
>
> Pat in TX

My main reason for a compact instead of a triple is because In my
experience with mtb the rear derailleurs always seem to work much
better than the front, not just on my bikes either. I'm thinking with
2 gears it would probably have less problems. Of course riding the
road is a completely different animal, but I plan to do much test
riding and shopping around before making a choice. I know I'll
probably end up going a little over the $1000 mark when the time
comes.

Eric

landotter
October 13th 08, 11:07 PM
On Oct 13, 4:54*pm, bluezfolk > wrote:
> On Oct 13, 12:37*pm, "PatTX" > wrote:
>
> > ::
> > :: A triple crank isn't just for where you ride now, but rather where
> > :: you might go with your bike in the future. There are definitely
> > :: areas in the northeast for which a triple could be a nice thing to
> > :: have, and the extra cost (about $50) and weight (6 ounces or so) are
> > :: pretty small.
>
> > I'm a believer in triple cranks, but I wonder why people think that the
> > compact ones are better than the regular ones. What am I missing? (when it
> > comes to this subject only)
>
> > Pat in TX
>
> My main reason for a compact instead of a triple is because In my
> experience with mtb the rear derailleurs always seem to work much
> better than the front, not just on my bikes either. *I'm thinking with
> 2 gears it would probably have less problems. *

Won't make a difference in shifting, but you'll have closer ratios
with a triple, which is nice, and if your gears get adjusted wrong and
you overshift down, your granny will catch the chain. ;-)

A well adjusted front derailleur on a road bike is a thing of utter
brutal simplicity, btw. Even the lowest end Shimano stuff shifts
pretty darn well.

Ryan Cousineau
October 14th 08, 05:35 AM
In article
landotter > wrote:

> On Oct 13, 4:54*pm, bluezfolk > wrote:
> > On Oct 13, 12:37*pm, "PatTX" > wrote:
> >
> > > ::
> > > :: A triple crank isn't just for where you ride now, but rather where
> > > :: you might go with your bike in the future. There are definitely
> > > :: areas in the northeast for which a triple could be a nice thing to
> > > :: have, and the extra cost (about $50) and weight (6 ounces or so) are
> > > :: pretty small.
> >
> > > I'm a believer in triple cranks, but I wonder why people think that the
> > > compact ones are better than the regular ones. What am I missing? (when it
> > > comes to this subject only)
> >
> > > Pat in TX
> >
> > My main reason for a compact instead of a triple is because In my
> > experience with mtb the rear derailleurs always seem to work much
> > better than the front, not just on my bikes either. *I'm thinking with
> > 2 gears it would probably have less problems. *
>
> Won't make a difference in shifting, but you'll have closer ratios
> with a triple, which is nice, and if your gears get adjusted wrong and
> you overshift down, your granny will catch the chain. ;-)

A triple in this circumstance tends to give you lower lows, but the gear
overlap in typical setups is so great that there's no reason to expect
closer ratios with a triple unless you're very fussy with your initial
gear choices or do something eccentric like half-step-plus-granny
gearing.

The wide spread between the big ring and the small ring on a compact
double setup means there is much less gear overlap between the two rings.

> A well adjusted front derailleur on a road bike is a thing of utter
> brutal simplicity, btw. Even the lowest end Shimano stuff shifts
> pretty darn well.

That's certainly true, but I have been very happy with the versatility
of compact-double on my cyclocross bike, which has done double-duty as a
road-race bike.

I have a triple on my commuter bike, but it's not a fair comparison: no
ramps and pins on those old-school rings, and I use the granny about
twice a year. Also, that bike has a 5-speed block in the back. It's
pretty retro.

Note that the one compromise with compact is that big gap between the
small and big ring. Shifting is possibly a bit slower than with a
typical 52/39 setup, and I think the right way to use a compact double
is to (broadly) pick a front ring and stay in it as long as possible,
minimizing front shifts.

It's a minor preference, but I'd say that right now, I'd recommend
compact-double to anyone who didn't need the low gearing of a triple
setup. My bias is that I'm a fairly strong rider who does almost no
heavily-loaded riding, so I clearly don't feel the need for a triple as
keenly as others.

SMS
October 14th 08, 02:55 PM
bluezfolk wrote:
> OK a very subjective question. I'm in the market for a road bike,
> would prefer a carbon fork, and tires wider than those skinny 23mm,
> compact crank would be nice but not necessary. In the under $1000.
> price range, how about giving me a coupla suggestions, hopefully based
> on experiences of youselves or someone you know. I've been an MTB
> rider for a while now so I'm not a newbie.

Well it's not all CF, but it does have a carbon fork. A pretty good deal
at $400, but it's only RD-2200 level components, and only in three
sizes, 52cm, 56cm, and 63cm. 25mm tires, but probably you could up them
to 28mm.

See: "http://tinyurl.com/54p33t".

bluezfolk
October 22nd 08, 04:11 PM
On Oct 13, 4:54*pm, bluezfolk > wrote:
> On Oct 13, 12:37*pm, "PatTX" > wrote:
>
> > ::
> > :: A triple crank isn't just for where you ride now, but rather where
> > :: you might go with your bike in the future. There are definitely
> > :: areas in the northeast for which a triple could be a nice thing to
> > :: have, and the extra cost (about $50) and weight (6 ounces or so) are
> > :: pretty small.
>
> > I'm a believer in triple cranks, but I wonder why people think that the
> > compact ones are better than the regular ones. What am I missing? (when it
> > comes to this subject only)
>
> > Pat in TX
>
> My main reason for a compact instead of a triple is because In my
> experience with mtb the rear derailleurs always seem to work much
> better than the front, not just on my bikes either. *I'm thinking with
> 2 gears it would probably have less problems. *Of course riding the
> road is a completely different animal, but I plan to do much test
> riding and shopping around before making a choice. I know I'll
> probably end up going a little over the $1000 mark when the time
> comes.
>
> Eric

I want to thank all those who made suggestions. I finally decided,
going over my budget by $250 I purchased a Felt F75 and the dealer
swapped out the 700x23s for 25 for me at no charge.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home