PDA

View Full Version : putting fenders on a track frame

October 20th 08, 06:34 AM
Hi all,

Brought my fixie from Chicago to Seattle. It sure rains here. I'd
like to add fenders, and have heard not-so-rave reviews of clip-ons.
My bike doesn't have eyelets, though. Not anywhere.

I have a barrage of questions.

1) Adding braze-on eyelets to the frame is doable, but would wreck the
paint job, right? How large an area would be affected?

2) Could I add rear eyelets on the end of the dropouts' screws. (see
here: http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/250/30-0600-BLK-DROPOUT.jpg
) Welding eyelets to the end of the screws would be easy, but would
it work? Would the cog & axle & chain block too much real estate, so
the wires to hold the fender would be ineffective?

3) Are there clip-ons that actually work? (I'd be using a clip-on for
the front anyway).

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated. I don't wanna
swap out a frame over this. :)

thanks, and best,
Jake

landotter
October 20th 08, 07:34 PM
On Oct 20, 12:34*am, " >
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Brought my fixie from Chicago to Seattle. *It sure rains here. *I'd
> like to add fenders, and have heard not-so-rave reviews of clip-ons.
> My bike doesn't have eyelets, though. *Not anywhere.

Planet Bike Speed EZ fenders are a good option. Lots of ways to mod
them, the most important of which would be to add mudflaps. You can
turn them into "Clip On Cascadias" by ordering these flaps:
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7028_1.html and drilling a couple holes,
then they'll snap right on--custom strap on full coverage fenders.

October 21st 08, 12:16 AM
So word seems to be that clip-ons of that particular style DO work
decently? Sounds great.

Thanks,
Jake

October 21st 08, 02:34 AM
Has anyone compared SKS Raceblades to Planet Bike SpeedEZ fenders?
They seem identical, with the SKS at $45 and the PB at $30, but one
silly reviewer on Amazon is making me doubt the PB ones.

Thanks again,
Jake

landotter
October 21st 08, 03:46 PM
On Oct 20, 8:34*pm, " >
wrote:
> Has anyone compared SKS Raceblades to Planet Bike SpeedEZ fenders?
> They seem identical, with the SKS at $45 and the PB at $30, but one
> silly reviewer on Amazon is making me doubt the PB ones.
>
> Thanks again,
> Jake

Put it this way, neither is going to be as good as full mudguards for
a Seattle winter, and if you're going to use your fixed gear full
time, and if your fork crown is drilled--I'd use p-clips and fit full
coverage Planet Bike Cascadias. If your fork crown isn't drilled, the
SKS and PB both have similar limitations that can be overcome cleverly
with zip ties and electrical tape and milk bottle plastic. ;-)

October 21st 08, 08:58 PM
Thanks much for the suggestion, Landotter, but now I'm a little more
confused. My fork CROWN is drilled for a front brake; is that what
you mean? The problem is I don't have eyelets. I thought you
couldn't use Cascadias without eyelets.

For reference, my frame is this one:
http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=188_348&products_id=5065

Thanks again for all your help.

-Jake

On Oct 21, 7:46 am, landotter > wrote:
> On Oct 20, 8:34 pm, " >
> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone compared SKS Raceblades to Planet Bike SpeedEZ fenders?
> > They seem identical, with the SKS at $45 and the PB at $30, but one
> > silly reviewer on Amazon is making me doubt the PB ones.
>
> > Thanks again,
> > Jake
>
> Put it this way, neither is going to be as good as full mudguards for
> a Seattle winter, and if you're going to use your fixed gear full
> time, and if your fork crown is drilled--I'd use p-clips and fit full
> coverage Planet Bike Cascadias. If your fork crown isn't drilled, the
> SKS and PB both have similar limitations that can be overcome cleverly
> with zip ties and electrical tape and milk bottle plastic. ;-)

landotter
October 21st 08, 09:21 PM
On Oct 21, 2:58*pm, " >
wrote:
> Thanks much for the suggestion, Landotter, but now I'm a little more
> confused. *My fork CROWN is drilled for a front brake; is that what
> you mean? *The problem is I don't have eyelets. *I thought you
> couldn't use Cascadias without eyelets.

No problem, and good to see that you basically have a road bike with
track ends, so everything will clear nicely. Just use some p-clamps
from the hardware store like these:

http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/marshfasteners/products.asp?dept=128

Alternately, you can get a shop to tack on some eyelets--it shouldn't
cost too much, and won't damage but a tiny area of paint, and you can
do a really tight looking install after touching back up with some
Testor's model paint. Shouldn't be hard to find a shop in the Seattle
area to do this.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home