PDA

View Full Version : bicycle trailer opinion sought

Don Wiss
October 21st 08, 01:17 AM
I would like to buy a flatbed trailer for my bicycle. A flatbed one is what
would be most useful to me. I'm looking at Burley's.

Burley is changing the flatbed model for 2009. The wheels are going from
20" to 16". It is getting an axle and losing the bar around the outside of
the wheel. This makes the overall width narrower. But there is no longer
anything protecting the wheel.

I have never biked with a trailer. I would think they could sway back and
forth. I can envision the trailer catching on something. It seems like that
could be quite devastating.

Here are pictures:

2008 model:
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/images/burley_08_flatbed.jpg

2009 model:
http://www.biketrailershop.com/catalog/images/09CG_Flatbed_angle.jpg

Any opinion on which makes more sense to get?

October 21st 08, 01:36 AM
Saw just such a trailer on eBay a couple of days ago. Check it out.

Sounds like Burley is doing to the Flatbed what they did to the
D'Lite. It was a change for the worse, but they don't seem to care.
Burleys are still good trailers, just not as good as they used to wuz.
I have owned three bike trailers. Never had a problem with swaying
except then the kids used to squirm a bit in my old Equinox. I
imagine that with a flatbed a lot depends on how you load it.
And yes, I also worry about snagging on something. Never have,
though. (Unless maybe on a certain unleashed mutt...)

Bill

__o | The people who cast the votes decide nothing.
_`\(,_ | The people who count the votes decide everything.
(_)/ (_) | - Joseph Stalin

Don Wiss > wrote:
> I would like to buy a flatbed trailer for my bicycle. A flatbed one is what
> would be most useful to me. I'm looking at Burley's.

> Burley is changing the flatbed model for 2009. The wheels are going from
> 20" to 16". It is getting an axle and losing the bar around the outside of
> the wheel. This makes the overall width narrower. But there is no longer
> anything protecting the wheel.

> I have never biked with a trailer. I would think they could sway back and
> forth. I can envision the trailer catching on something. It seems like that
> could be quite devastating.

> Here are pictures:

> 2008 model:
> http://www.healthchecksystems.com/images/burley_08_flatbed.jpg

> 2009 model:
> http://www.biketrailershop.com/catalog/images/09CG_Flatbed_angle.jpg

> Any opinion on which makes more sense to get?

> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Tom Keats
October 21st 08, 02:10 AM
In article >,
Don Wiss > writes:
> I would like to buy a flatbed trailer for my bicycle. A flatbed one is what
> would be most useful to me. I'm looking at Burley's.
>
> Burley is changing the flatbed model for 2009. The wheels are going from
> 20" to 16". It is getting an axle and losing the bar around the outside of
> the wheel. This makes the overall width narrower. But there is no longer
> anything protecting the wheel.
>
> I have never biked with a trailer. I would think they could sway back and
> forth. I can envision the trailer catching on something. It seems like that
> could be quite devastating.
>
> Here are pictures:
>
> 2008 model:
> http://www.healthchecksystems.com/images/burley_08_flatbed.jpg
>
> 2009 model:
> http://www.biketrailershop.com/catalog/images/09CG_Flatbed_angle.jpg
>
> Any opinion on which makes more sense to get?

They're both quite handsome units. I like chainstay
hitches myself, as opposed to seatpost hitches --
chainstay hitches don't affect bike handling very much,
and the trailer tracks very well.

The first time walking your bike with a trailer attached
(with a chainstay hitch) and going around a corner, you
might get a li'l surprise when the tow-arm bumps into
the back of your leg.

Pneumatic tire'd wheels on trailers should have
quick releases, as old-style axle nuts tend to loosen.
I don't know if the wheel-protecting bars on the 2008
model might render with wheel removal more difficult.

Run-sraight-through axles on trailers have been known to
become bent when overloaded, at least on homebrew trailers.
I still think the 2009 model looks pretty good, but I
would take care to not exceed its capacity rating.

I've never met a professionally designed/built bike trailer
that swayed back & forth; they track quite nicely. On
really steepish downhills, I might be concerned about
jackknifing. Towing a trailer can dictate your choice of
route. But as long as you cruise smoothly and avoid
herky-jerky accelerations/decelerations, things should go
okay on comfortable-ish downhills, especially if the
trailer has some weight on it.

The wheels won't catch on anything as long as you're
careful and take your turns just a shade ... not wider,
but ~longer~ and gentler than usual.

The hitch is your pivot point. Remember that.
The trailer's wheels straddle and follow your
bicycle wheels' track.

Some sort of RV mirror can be initially useful to see
how your trailer behaves in cornering, but don't get
too enamoured with it and forget to look ahead of ya,
too :-) The idea is to eventually get the feel of
where the trailer is, without actually looking at it.
That's pretty easy. Especially when you remember the
hitch is the pivot point. And when you remember you're
towing a trailer at all.

Good on ya for opting to acquire a cargo trailer!
They're lovely.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Frank Krygowski[_2_]
October 21st 08, 02:30 AM
On Oct 20, 8:17*pm, Don Wiss > wrote:
> I would like to buy a flatbed trailer for my bicycle. A flatbed one is what
> would be most useful to me. I'm looking at Burley's.
>
> Burley is changing the flatbed model for 2009. The wheels are going from
> 20" to 16". It is getting an axle and losing the bar around the outside of
> the wheel. This makes the overall width narrower. But there is no longer
> anything protecting the wheel.
>
> I have never biked with a trailer. I would think they could sway back and
> forth. I can envision the trailer catching on something. It seems like that
> could be quite devastating.
>
> Here are pictures:
>
> 2008 model:http://www.healthchecksystems.com/images/burley_08_flatbed.jpg
>
> 2009 model:http://www.biketrailershop.com/catalog/images/09CG_Flatbed_angle.jpg
>
> Any opinion on which makes more sense to get?
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I've biked a fair amount with a two-wheeled suitcase trailer behind my
Bike Friday, and I've ridden quite a lot with a friend who towed his
dog on a flatbed two-wheeled trailer he built. Neither one has ever
swayed, AFAIK, so I wouldn't worry. Neither one has perimeter bars
protecting the wheels.

One of my annoyances with the Bike Friday trailer is that it's about
two inches too wide to comfortably fit through many doorways. That
means that instead of rolling it into a home or other building, I have
to lift it and turn it sideways. I've never snagged a wheel on an
object I've passed. Based on those experiences, I'd lean toward the
narrower trailer.

- Frank Krygowski

Don Wiss
October 21st 08, 02:55 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Frank Krygowski > wrote:

>One of my annoyances with the Bike Friday trailer is that it's about
>two inches too wide to comfortably fit through many doorways. That
>means that instead of rolling it into a home or other building, I have
>to lift it and turn it sideways. I've never snagged a wheel on an
>object I've passed. Based on those experiences, I'd lean toward the
>narrower trailer.

Hi Frank,

Both of these collapse. The 2009 one collapses to a smaller package. Both
entrances to my house have steps, turns, and no place to put it once
inside. So I will be collapsing it outside and carrying it in that way.

I don't expect to be using it that much. I have a particular use that I
need one for. If I wait a couple weeks I can borrow a friend's, but I will
also have to borrow his bike. But thinking about it I can come up with some
other uses for it. I'm carless, but between having things shipped to my
house, and dangling things from my handlebars, I've managed so far. And
much is local, where I can simply push a shopping cart.

One thing would be plants. What I have done so far is to take a shears down
to Home Depot. I cut the flats in half. Then each half fits in a plastic
bag. Then I can dangle a couple from each handlebar. But this necessitates
multiple trips.

bob prohaska's usenet account
October 21st 08, 03:09 AM
Don Wiss > wrote:

> Both of these collapse. The 2009 one collapses to a smaller package. Both
> entrances to my house have steps, turns, and no place to put it once
> inside. So I will be collapsing it outside and carrying it in that way.

Until reading "no place to put it once inside." I was going to suggest
you look at CycleTote. They're good trailers, but not small.

About the swaying, that happens when the center of mass is too far aft;
keep the load forward and you won't have any trouble with stability.

Having outriggers around the wheels is nice, but mostly when threading
through narrow pasageways on foot. I've never come close to clipping
an obstacle while riding. Do be wary that trailers tend to bounce, and
a bounce on one wheel can lead to an ungraceful unloading 8-)

Whatever you buy, you'll find a bicycle trailer a very handy gadget.
Mine has carried ladders, propane tanks, boxes when moving and all
manner of other stuff. Anything under about 100 pounds is fair game.

bob prohaska

Tom Keats
October 21st 08, 03:11 AM
In article >,
Don Wiss > writes:

> I don't expect to be using it that much. I have a particular use that I
> need one for. If I wait a couple weeks I can borrow a friend's, but I will
> also have to borrow his bike. But thinking about it I can come up with some
> other uses for it. I'm carless, but between having things shipped to my
> house, and dangling things from my handlebars, I've managed so far. And
> much is local, where I can simply push a shopping cart.

My beautiful li'l Leggaro Max
http://www.leggaro.com
easily converts into a shopping cart (or laundry hamper)
when you get to the store or shop (or laundromat.)

It also fits through any doorway. Kick the box off and
it's a flatbed trailer. A measured & cut-to fit piece
of doorskin makes a nice solid deck.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

SMS
October 21st 08, 03:13 AM
Don Wiss wrote:
> I would like to buy a flatbed trailer for my bicycle. A flatbed one is what
> would be most useful to me. I'm looking at Burley's.
>
> Burley is changing the flatbed model for 2009. The wheels are going from
> 20" to 16". It is getting an axle and losing the bar around the outside of
> the wheel. This makes the overall width narrower. But there is no longer
> anything protecting the wheel.

Yes, the decontenting of the Burley is quite annoying. They did it to
the d'lite as well.

I'd hurry and get the 2008 model of the Burley flat bed.

Don Wiss
October 21st 08, 03:44 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, (Tom Keats) wrote:

>My beautiful li'l Leggaro Max
> http://www.leggaro.com
>easily converts into a shopping cart (or laundry hamper)
>when you get to the store or shop (or laundromat.)
>
>It also fits through any doorway. Kick the box off and
>it's a flatbed trailer. A measured & cut-to fit piece
>of doorskin makes a nice solid deck.

But the link doesn't work.

Tom Keats
October 21st 08, 04:01 AM
In article >,
Don Wiss > writes:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, (Tom Keats) wrote:
>
>>My beautiful li'l Leggaro Max
>> http://www.leggaro.com
>>easily converts into a shopping cart (or laundry hamper)
>>when you get to the store or shop (or laundromat.)
>>
>>It also fits through any doorway. Kick the box off and
>>it's a flatbed trailer. A measured & cut-to fit piece
>>of doorskin makes a nice solid deck.
>
> But the link doesn't work.

Aw, shucks!

But if you Google on it you might find some other links
and reviews or descriptions.

It really /is/ a good trailer for urban shopping applications.
I know that's just my say-so. If I could demo it to you
in person, I'm sure you'd be intrigued if not impressed.
It's such a wonderful design. Oh, well. I still have an
intuitive feeling it's just the ticket for ya.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Ryan Cousineau
October 21st 08, 04:14 AM
In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, (Tom Keats) wrote:
>
> >My beautiful li'l Leggaro Max
> > http://www.leggaro.com
> >easily converts into a shopping cart (or laundry hamper)
> >when you get to the store or shop (or laundromat.)
> >
> >It also fits through any doorway. Kick the box off and
> >it's a flatbed trailer. A measured & cut-to fit piece
> >of doorskin makes a nice solid deck.
>
> But the link doesn't work.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

http://www.leggero.com is the right URL, but that's not working either.

However, here's the trailer:

<http://info.thisgroup.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&I
temid=9>

Don Wiss
October 21st 08, 04:38 AM
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

>However, here's the trailer:
>
><http://info.thisgroup.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=9>

Which links to this more useful page: http://www.mysmarttrolley.com.au/

It looks great for grocery shopping. But my food store is a seven minute
walk away, and as I buy food for just one, there isn't that much. Then I
could see walking it to the farmer's market...

My interest in wanting a flatbed trailer is I have something that is large
and flat that I need to transport.

SMS
October 21st 08, 06:50 PM
Don Wiss wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
>
>> However, here's the trailer:
>>
>> <http://info.thisgroup.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=9>
>
> Which links to this more useful page: http://www.mysmarttrolley.com.au/
>
> It looks great for grocery shopping. But my food store is a seven minute
> walk away, and as I buy food for just one, there isn't that much. Then I
> could see walking it to the farmer's market...
>
> My interest in wanting a flatbed trailer is I have something that is large
> and flat that I need to transport.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I didn't realize that Burley was wrecking the flat bed the same way they
wrecked the d'lite. I'd been wanting a flat bed but I've been putting it
off. I think it's too late, unless you are able to find a shop that
actually stocks the 2008 flatbed. Most of the on-line sellers aren't
stocking dealers, the trailers are drop-shipped from Burley. Sometimes
these come up on craigslist, but like most Burley products they're
quickly snapped up.

Tom Keats
October 22nd 08, 02:47 AM
In article >,
SMS > writes:
> Don Wiss wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
>>
>>> However, here's the trailer:
>>>
>>> <http://info.thisgroup.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=9>
>>
>> Which links to this more useful page: http://www.mysmarttrolley.com.au/
>>
>> It looks great for grocery shopping. But my food store is a seven minute
>> walk away, and as I buy food for just one, there isn't that much. Then I
>> could see walking it to the farmer's market...
>>
>> My interest in wanting a flatbed trailer is I have something that is large
>> and flat that I need to transport.
>>
>> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
>
> I didn't realize that Burley was wrecking the flat bed the same way they
> wrecked the d'lite. I'd been wanting a flat bed but I've been putting it
> off. I think it's too late, unless you are able to find a shop that
> actually stocks the 2008 flatbed. Most of the on-line sellers aren't
> stocking dealers, the trailers are drop-shipped from Burley. Sometimes
> these come up on craigslist, but like most Burley products they're
> quickly snapped up.

For an economical flatbed cargo trailer, the
BicycleREvolution trailer kit looks pretty
good @ a cheap $149 US.

http://www.bikerev.com/pg6.cfm

It's a DIY project, but what the heck? It's pretty much
the time of year for home workshop projects anyway.

The kit calls for a cut-to-size piece of plywood
for the deck, but it looks so customizable; I'm
sure it's possible to come with all kinds of
frame materials -- PVC tubing, wicker, diamondplate,
perforated aircraft duralumin ... whatever you want.
I see lots of design leeway in this kit.

On looking at the website pictures it looks like
it comes with permanently mounted, smallish,
non-pneumatic, cushioned tires/wheels. I used
to be prejudiced against those things, but y'know
what? After actually using them, I'm sold!
They roll just as well as well-inflated pneumatic
tires (they're not nearly as hard as they look,)
they're maintenance free, and you don't have to
worry about them coming loose. And as long as the
trailer has some modest li'l modicum of weight to
it, uneven pavement won't make it bounce around.
I know those stoopid-looking baby-buggy wheels
look useless, but I can assert they are not.
Even though I realize how hard it can be to
believe that.

Another nice feature about this kit is that the
wheels go under the deck instead of alongside it,
thereby keeping things narrow.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Brian Huntley
October 22nd 08, 05:45 PM
On Oct 21, 9:47*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article >,
> * * * * SMS > writes:
>

> > Don Wiss wrote:

> >> Which links to this more useful page:http://www.mysmarttrolley.com.au/
>
> >> It looks great for grocery shopping. But my food store is a seven minute
> >> walk away, and as I buy food for just one, there isn't that much. Then I
> >> could see walking it to the farmer's market...
>
> >> My interest in wanting a flatbed trailer is I have something that is large
> >> and flat that I need to transport.
>
> >> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
>
> > I didn't realize that Burley was wrecking the flat bed the same way they
> > wrecked the d'lite. I'd been wanting a flat bed but I've been putting it
> > off. I think it's too late, unless you are able to find a shop that
> > actually stocks the 2008 flatbed. Most of the on-line sellers aren't
> > stocking dealers, the trailers are drop-shipped from Burley. Sometimes
> > these come up on craigslist, but like most Burley products they're
> > quickly snapped up.
>
> For an economical flatbed cargo trailer, the
> BicycleREvolution trailer kit looks pretty
> good @ a cheap $149 US.
>
> http://www.bikerev.com/pg6.cfm
>
> It's a DIY project, but what the heck? *It's pretty much
> the time of year for home workshop projects anyway.
>
> The kit calls for a cut-to-size piece of plywood
> for the deck, but it looks so customizable; I'm
> sure it's possible to come with all kinds of
> frame materials -- PVC tubing, wicker, diamondplate,
> perforated aircraft duralumin ... whatever you want.
> I see lots of design leeway in this kit.
>
> On looking at the website pictures it looks like
> it comes with permanently mounted, smallish,
> non-pneumatic, cushioned tires/wheels. *I used
> to be prejudiced against those things, but y'know
> what? *After actually using them, I'm sold!
> They roll just as well as well-inflated pneumatic
> tires (they're not nearly as hard as they look,)
> they're maintenance free, and you don't have to
> worry about them coming loose. *And as long as the
> trailer has some modest li'l modicum of weight to
> it, uneven pavement won't make it bounce around.
> I know those stoopid-looking baby-buggy wheels
> look useless, but I can assert they are not.
> Even though I realize how hard it can be to
> believe that.

I'm confused. The photo of the kit appears to show a valve stem on one
of the tires. As well, the accessories page has replacement tubes. No
size is give, so they might be difficult to source locally - I'd buy a
spare tube if I got the trailer.

But you're right about the semi-pneumatics. My 4-wheel trailer has
wheels off a Graco "Navigator" stroller and they've worn well for
years of occasional use, including some extreme loads.

Jym Dyer
October 23rd 08, 06:44 PM
>> For an economical flatbed cargo trailer, the
>> BicycleREvolution trailer kit looks pretty good
>> @ a cheap $149 US.

http://www.bikerev.com/pg6.cfm

=v= That's what we used to make the TIME'S UP! sound trailer,
which I do believe Don has biked alongside. (Hallowe'en
Critical Mass is coming up next week, sound trailer and all!)
The same manufacturer has a similar design built with a pet
carrier, which we use for dog rescue; these disassemble quickly
for storage, and you could just use the bottom half as a sort
of flatbed trailer:

http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/trailers.html

=v= You'll note atop that page that I've got a "heavy duty"
trailer that doesn't disassemble. I actually found it to be
ideal for a Brooklyn apartment: just tip it back on its rear
wheels and it fits right inside a coat closet.

> The photo of the kit appears to show a valve stem on one
> of the tires. As well, the accessories page has replacement
> tubes. No size is give, so they might be difficult to source
> locally - I'd buy a spare tube if I got the trailer.

=v= Fortunately Don lives in a city where most things are easy
to source locally. ;^)
<_Jym_>

Don Wiss
October 24th 08, 12:23 AM
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:44:48 -0700, Jym Dyer > wrote:

>>> For an economical flatbed cargo trailer, the
>>> BicycleREvolution trailer kit looks pretty good
>>> @ a cheap $149 US.
>
>http://www.bikerev.com/pg6.cfm
>
>=v= That's what we used to make the TIME'S UP! sound trailer,
>which I do believe Don has biked alongside.

I've seen various sound trailers, though I don't remember the actual
construction. Since the NYPD took the fun out of the Manhattan Critical
Masses I haven't been making the effort to bring my bicycle into Manhattan
from Brooklyn.

> (Hallowe'en
>Critical Mass is coming up next week, sound trailer and all!)

Which unfortunately this year is on Halloween. This means I have a conflict
with our Park Slope Halloween Parade. I can only take pictures at one. And
the one in Park Slope it will be.

>The same manufacturer has a similar design built with a pet
>carrier, which we use for dog rescue; these disassemble quickly
>for storage, and you could just use the bottom half as a sort
>of flatbed trailer:
>
>http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/trailers.html

I see.

>=v= You'll note atop that page that I've got a "heavy duty"
>trailer that doesn't disassemble. I actually found it to be
>ideal for a Brooklyn apartment: just tip it back on its rear
>wheels and it fits right inside a coat closet.

I went ahead and bought a 2008 model of the Burley flatbed. My cost was
$250 delivered. I like that it is lightweight and will fold up. I'm going
to have to carry it down the narrow cellar stairs.

>=v= Fortunately Don lives in a city where most things are easy
>to source locally. ;^)

And other things I can get delivered, like this trailer will be.

You do realize Jym that a flatbed is just perfect for carrying stencils. I
now have lots of them in my cellar. CK is moving to a smaller office and
had to clear them out.

Tom Keats
October 24th 08, 02:06 AM
In article >,
Brian Huntley > writes:

> I'm confused. The photo of the kit appears to show a valve stem on one
> of the tires. As well, the accessories page has replacement tubes. No
> size is give, so they might be difficult to source locally - I'd buy a
> spare tube if I got the trailer.

I had a look at the accessories page and it looks like
pneumatics are optional. The "Heavy Duty Wheels" listed
on that page still look like semi-pneumatic/cushioned
tires to me.

But on reviewing the pix, it seems the wheels /do/ go
alongside (outboard of) the deck rather than underneath
it, which is good for stability by keeping the trailer's
CoG low.

> But you're right about the semi-pneumatics. My 4-wheel trailer has
> wheels off a Graco "Navigator" stroller and they've worn well for
> years of occasional use, including some extreme loads.

I daresay I'm surprisedly and pleasantly impressed with the
performance of such wheels.

Anyway, since it's a kit, all kinds of modifications are
possible. I like that.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Keats
October 26th 08, 10:45 AM
In article >,
Don Wiss > writes:

> I went ahead and bought a 2008 model of the Burley flatbed. My cost was
> $250 delivered. I like that it is lightweight and will fold up. I'm going
> to have to carry it down the narrow cellar stairs.

I think you'll be happy with your choice and it'll
live up to your expectations -- maybe even exceed
them as you find other uses for it. It sure looks
like a nice trailer.

An urban rider can't go wrong by having a cargo trailer
at their avail.

cheers,
Tom

--