PDA

View Full Version : French do have it in for Armstrong

Penny
October 22nd 08, 03:59 PM
Once has to love this quote

"Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme has refused to be drawn on
the issue, again offering a guarded response to the prospect of
Armstrong's return to the race. "

"It is up to him to decide whether he wants to come or not," he said.

"His return on the Tour would neither be a bad, nor a good thing. Of
course he is a special character but for the Tour he is a rider like
others."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/7684233.stm

Miaow!

Mike Jacoubowsky
October 22nd 08, 06:06 PM
"Penny" > wrote in message

> Once has to love this quote
>
> "Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme has refused to be drawn
> on
> the issue, again offering a guarded response to the prospect of
> Armstrong's return to the race. "
>
> "It is up to him to decide whether he wants to come or not," he said.
>
> "His return on the Tour would neither be a bad, nor a good thing. Of
> course he is a special character but for the Tour he is a rider like
> others."
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/7684233.stm
>
> Miaow!

Makes no difference to me. I'm going either way. The 'Tour is much more
than just one or two people. Even if Contador wasn't there again, it
would still be a great race. 4 mountain-top finishes, including Les
Arcs, Verbiers and Ventoux, the day before Paris. Mountains early,
mountains late. One bad day and... who knows, you might just get back in
it later. Or not.

6 nights in Chambery, 2 in Avignon, 1 in Paris. Planes trains &
automobiles. Lots of riding. Oh, and a dollar that's already 15%
stronger than just a couple months ago.

Now I just have to figure out how to get there. Plane tickets are still
sky-high; waiting for a mid-winter summer air fare sale. Hey, you can
always dream!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike A Schwab
October 22nd 08, 09:23 PM
On Oct 22, 12:06*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:
> "Penny" > wrote in message

> > Once has to love this quote
>
> > "Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme has refused to be drawn
> > on
> > the issue, again offering a guarded response to the prospect of
> > Armstrong's return to the race. "
>
> > "It is up to him to decide whether he wants to come or not," he said.
>
> > "His return on the Tour would neither be a bad, nor a good thing. Of
> > course he is a special character but for the Tour he is a rider like
> > others."
>
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/7684233.stm
>
> > Miaow!
>
> Makes no difference to me. I'm going either way. The 'Tour is much more
> than just one or two people. Even if Contador wasn't there again, it
> would still be a great race. 4 mountain-top finishes, including Les
> Arcs, Verbiers and Ventoux, the day before Paris. Mountains early,
> mountains late. One bad day and... who knows, you might just get back in
> it later. Or not.
>
> 6 nights in Chambery, 2 in Avignon, 1 in Paris. Planes trains &
> automobiles. Lots of riding. Oh, and a dollar that's already 15%
> stronger than just a couple months ago.
>
> Now I just have to figure out how to get there. Plane tickets are still
> sky-high; waiting for a mid-winter summer air fare sale. Hey, you can
> always dream!
>
> --Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com- Hide quoted text -

Wait about 3 months, crude should have stabilized about US$40, then
another month for jet fuel prices to level off based on the crude
prices.

Mike Jacoubowsky
October 22nd 08, 11:35 PM
> Makes no difference to me. I'm going either way. The 'Tour is much
> more
> than just one or two people. Even if Contador wasn't there again, it
> would still be a great race. 4 mountain-top finishes, including Les
> Arcs, Verbiers and Ventoux, the day before Paris. Mountains early,
> mountains late. One bad day and... who knows, you might just get back
> in
> it later. Or not.
>
> 6 nights in Chambery, 2 in Avignon, 1 in Paris. Planes trains &
> automobiles. Lots of riding. Oh, and a dollar that's already 15%
> stronger than just a couple months ago.
>
> Now I just have to figure out how to get there. Plane tickets are
> still
> sky-high; waiting for a mid-winter summer air fare sale. Hey, you can
> always dream!
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com- Hide
> quoted text -

>>Wait about 3 months, crude should have stabilized about US$40, then
>>another month for jet fuel prices to level off based on the crude
>>prices.

Peak-season California/Paris air fare, when oil was under $30/barrel,
ran about $1300. Presently fares are at $1700-$1900 (for July), which is
little different from when oil was at $145. Reduced demand is what will
bring down the price.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Gary[_3_]
October 26th 08, 01:12 AM
I went to Paris from July 7 to August 6, and I was at the Champs Elysees for
the last stage. I booked in March. While the round-trip prices were
generally around $1300 at the time, I surfed over to the Air France site and
found flights for $600 (from Boston), but only on certain days. Try their
site- you might get lucky.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
>> Makes no difference to me. I'm going either way. The 'Tour is much more
>> than just one or two people. Even if Contador wasn't there again, it
>> would still be a great race. 4 mountain-top finishes, including Les
>> Arcs, Verbiers and Ventoux, the day before Paris. Mountains early,
>> mountains late. One bad day and... who knows, you might just get back in
>> it later. Or not.
>>
>> 6 nights in Chambery, 2 in Avignon, 1 in Paris. Planes trains &
>> automobiles. Lots of riding. Oh, and a dollar that's already 15%
>> stronger than just a couple months ago.
>>
>> Now I just have to figure out how to get there. Plane tickets are still
>> sky-high; waiting for a mid-winter summer air fare sale. Hey, you can
>> always dream!
>>
>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com- Hide
>> quoted text -

>>>Wait about 3 months, crude should have stabilized about US$40, then
>>>another month for jet fuel prices to level off based on the crude
>>>prices.
>
> Peak-season California/Paris air fare, when oil was under $30/barrel, ran
> about $1300. Presently fares are at $1700-$1900 (for July), which is
> little different from when oil was at $145. Reduced demand is what will
> bring down the price.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com