PDA

View Full Version : So much for "Peak Oil"

Mike Jacoubowsky
October 25th 08, 06:37 AM
Don't worry, Peak Oil will come back, and sooner than later if we don't
pay attention to the early warning we got. In the meantime, study the
chart on this page-

http://www.dryships.com/index.cfm?get=report

Consider what that chart means. A 90% decline in dry commodity shipping
costs since May of this year.

In a world gone reactionary (and mad), there are worse ways to be making
a living than selling bicycles. And I've never once regretted turning
down my first job offer out of college (at Merrill Lynch Pierce Fenner &
Smith... wonder where the last three guys went?).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

ZBicyclist
October 26th 08, 04:12 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Don't worry, Peak Oil will come back, and sooner than later if we
> don't pay attention to the early warning we got. In the meantime,
> study the chart on this page-
>
> http://www.dryships.com/index.cfm?get=report
>
> Consider what that chart means. A 90% decline in dry commodity
> shipping costs since May of this year.

This is a VERY interesting graph. Planning must be a nightmare.

Will
October 27th 08, 02:54 PM
On Oct 24, 11:37 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:
> Don't worry, Peak Oil will come back, and sooner than later if we don't
> pay attention to the early warning we got.

Peak oil has come and gone. There will be no deep water drilling or
expanded investment in tar sand at the current per/barrel prices. The
reservoir systems that are profitable are old and depleting at 8% per
year.

Jym Dyer
October 27th 08, 05:16 PM
> Peak oil has come and gone. There will be no deep water
> drilling or expanded investment in tar sand at the current
> per/barrel prices. The reservoir systems that are profitable
> are old and depleting at 8% per year.

=v= This would seem to indicate that you don't know what
Peak Oil actually means. Price fluctuation over the course
of a few months or even years is the result of many factors,
but doesn't negate the fact that we're very near to, or even
past, the 50% mark.

=v= And yes, that's including all the "Gee whiz we found more
in this hard-to-get-to location that we have to protect with
nucular submarines so that proves it's not Peak Oil." No, in
fact, that is exactly what Peak Oil means.
<_Jym_>

Mike Jacoubowsky
October 27th 08, 05:32 PM
"Will" > wrote in message
> On Oct 24, 11:37 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:
>> Don't worry, Peak Oil will come back, and sooner than later if we
>> don't
>> pay attention to the early warning we got.
>
> Peak oil has come and gone. There will be no deep water drilling or
> expanded investment in tar sand at the current per/barrel prices. The
> reservoir systems that are profitable are old and depleting at 8% per
> year.

What we got was a sneak peek at a likely future if we don't get our act
together. A warning sign, most-likely brought to us by a speculative
bubble that couldn't happen unless minor fluctuations in supply caused
huge problems with demand. And those minor fluctuations are far more
likely to occur when you're nearing a Peak Oil threshold.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Tom Keats
October 27th 08, 08:41 PM
In article >,
"ZBicyclist" > writes:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> Don't worry, Peak Oil will come back, and sooner than later if we
>> don't pay attention to the early warning we got. In the meantime,
>> study the chart on this page-
>>
>> http://www.dryships.com/index.cfm?get=report
>>
>> Consider what that chart means. A 90% decline in dry commodity
>> shipping costs since May of this year.
>
> This is a VERY interesting graph. Planning must be a nightmare.

Logistics/goods distribution is a fascinating field. And it's
a venerable field, hearkening back in time even beyond the
Silk Road caravans, the ancient Roman iters and the marine
inter-continental quests for precious spices. There's been
plenty of time to figure things out.

There's also been plenty of time for office-bound bean-counters
and pencil-pushers to royally screw things up.

IT, MIS and all those other acronym'd electronic technologies are
modeled after logistics, except they deal with distribution of
data and information instead of tangible commodities.

I foresee high-tech sailing/hybrid transoceanic freighter ships
in the near future.

cheers, & throughput & turnover,
Tom

--