PDA

View Full Version : local skate park says no to unis and bikes !

sxbud138
October 30th 08, 12:09 AM
Has anyone ever seen a skate park that you cannot ride bikes or unis at
!
My town just in the last year built a very nice skate park down at the
beach. So I stoped by to check it out to find that no bikes are
allowed,Now i have seen skate parks have days for bikes only but this is
not the case here.
Today i called my LBS to get the scoop,I was told that the concreat
was not hard enough and bikes will damage the surface. I am planning to
go to the city to talk about this.The LBS guy says noway will they let
me uni on it, but i want to have a game plan before i go down to the
city. To me the only thing a uni can damage the skate surface with is
the pedals,so why not just use plastic ? Does anyone else have any
comments or has had a simillar problem?

Thanks,
scotty b

--
sxbud138

Jerrick
October 30th 08, 12:16 AM
Throw on some plastics, so them that your gonna be hitting the ground
with mainly only a chunk of plastic, or your rubber tire. Hardly ever
will your frame fly sideways into something. If it does, its probably
going onto a rail or coping, which shouldnt get damanged.

Ask how exactly if the unicycle going to damage anything in the park,
and also let them know how you ride.

Wont hurt to try.

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

pedrotejada
October 30th 08, 12:35 AM
The BMX pegs normally damage the skate park. Here you pay like R$10 (5
US dollars) to skate board on a park and about R$30.00 (15 US Dollars)
to ride a BMX on the same park.

There are some rubber attachments to the pegs that helps a lot on big
falls. Some skateparks (private) can borrow this protectors for the most
popular pegs here...

--
pedrotejada

*BUT*

Brazilian Unicycling Team

Add me on 'FaceBook'
(http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1284254657)
Add me on 'MySpace'
(http://www.myspace.com/pedrotejada)

sxbud138
October 30th 08, 12:37 AM
Jerrick;1121526 wrote:
> Throw on some plastics, so them that your gonna be hitting the ground
> with mainly only a chunk of plastic, or your rubber tire. Hardly ever
> will your frame fly sideways into something. If it does, its probably
> going onto a rail or coping, which shouldnt get damanged.
>
> Ask how exactly if the unicycle going to damage anything in the park,
> and also let them know how you ride.
>
> Wont hurt to try.

Ya Im going to the city and just ask them.I have heard that a bmxer was
arrested for riding at the park. To me the only danger a bmx has if you
collided with a skater, but thats why its ride at your own risk !
I feel im going to get a big NO! which makes no sense to me especially
since they do not require protective gear to be worn ! Its kinda funny !
The sign stating the rules goes Bla ,Bla, Bla ,NO BIKES ALLOWED !

--
sxbud138

ntappin
October 30th 08, 12:39 AM
I have never actually seen a skatepark where they allow bikes,
unicycles, or anything other than skateboards. It is an issue of
insurance. Most skateparks are government or privately owned and aren't
just sitting there with nobody to be held accountable, because of that,
and because we live in a world where anyone can and will sue anyone,
many skateparks will not allow people in their park who are not covered
by their insurance because they don't want to be responsible.

This is the major reason that only skateboards are allowed in there.
There are are also other reasons that are pretty weak, such as bikes are
very heavy and therefore do more damage than a skateboard so the park
will wear out faster, or that coping isn't designed for the abuse that
bikes give it (I have actually seen a whole section of coping rip out
from a bike grinding it, and it never showed any damage from
skateboards, although it does seem a little weird).

There are also safety issues in the styles of riding. A bike generally
moves much faster and therefore can do more damage to people, as well
since it is heavier if there is a rogue bike it will do more damage than
a rogue board.

I know most of these arguments are anti bike, but they apply to
unicycles as well. Another problem is that unicycles are slow, we don't
flow parks the same way bikes or boards do, we are much more static, and
often you see unicycles riding trials in parks. This gets in the way of
skaters (who the park was built, designed and probably in part payed for
by) and other more flowy vehicles, so it is generally a pretty rude way
of using their park. I know I have seen many vids where people are
riding flat or trials in a skatepark, or doing things like rolling up a
ramp then standing there hopping before getting on a rail or ledge.
These kinds of behaviors are really rude, especially since you probably
shouldn't be there in the first place.

All that being said. I ride my local park a ton, but I do so in a
constructive manner. I'm friendly and obliging when and if I get kicked
out. I always stay moving and follow the same paths that a skateboard or
bike would follow. I always give right of way to a skateboard and
usually to bikes, whether or not they actually should have right of way.
If I film, I do so when the park is empty, or just don't do it at all.
If I bail, I get the hell out off of the stunts and out of people's way
ASAP no matter how much it hurts. I also NEVER ride trials or flat,
there are plenty of other places to ride that won't get in people's way.
I also try to whenever possible chat with people there, let them try or
teach them to ride, oblige trick requests, and generally be a friendly
guy.

We don't belong in a skatepark, we shouldn't be there, but many of us
still go there. If you do use your local skatepark don't be that
unicyclist, be THE unicyclist. I know there have been other unicyclists
that have gone to my skatepark and they have made many of the locals
pretty annoyed, but I have gotten to know most of the regulars there
decently well and I always either get a good reception or I take off.

Sorry long rant, I think I left out a couple things, but whatever it is
already long enough.

pedrotejada;1121532 wrote:
> The BMX pegs normally damage the skate park. Here you pay like R$10 (5
> US dollars) to skate board on a park and about R$30.00 (15 US Dollars)
> to ride a BMX on the same park.
>
> There are some rubber attachments to the pegs that helps a lot on big
> falls. Some skateparks (private) can borrow this protectors for the most
> popular pegs here...

You can also get nylon pegs, but they wear out crazy fast. There was an
indoor park here for a while that let bikes in on special bike nights
and they had to put duct tape on their pegs.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

Matt_V
October 30th 08, 12:41 AM
What exactly happened when you went to the park? Did you just see a
sign that said no bikes, or was there a guard type person there that
kicked you out?

If it's just a sign, just keep riding there untill someone of authority
tells you not to. Otherwise take Jerrick's advice.

It really doesn't make any sense that a skate board won't damage the
concrete when bike or uni will.

People bike all the time at the park in my city. And I have uni'd
there on several occasions with no problems. I'm pretty sure that there
is an official rule about no bikes, but it just doesn't get followed.

--
Matt_V

-Matt:D
My msn: - Add me if you wish
|'My Uni' (http://tinyurl.com/39mt6k)|

sxbud138
October 30th 08, 12:42 AM
pedrotejada;1121532 wrote:
> The BMX pegs normally damage the skate park. Here you pay like R$10 (5
> US dollars) to skate board on a park and about R$30.00 (15 US Dollars)
> to ride a BMX on the same park.
>
> There are some rubber attachments to the pegs that helps a lot on big
> falls. Some skateparks (private) can borrow this protectors for the most
> popular pegs here...

I dont think i have seen a skate park charge any money, unless its in
doors.
My local one is free, paid of corse by my tax dollars !

--
sxbud138

ntappin
October 30th 08, 12:45 AM
Many parks depending on where you are and who funded it charge some
money, usually just to help pay for maintenance, but I have seen public
and private parks charge for entrance. Sometimes it is also just to keep
numbers down which helps in safety and means you can usually ride more,
less waiting for lines to open up.

I've seen pay parks in both Canada and the US.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

agentQ
October 30th 08, 12:50 AM
Explain that your speed and overall ridding is much more like
skateboarding than biking. Plastic pedals are great as well. I have
always ended up getting parks to let me ride.

I also should add, that any park that has bike and skate sessions at
different times would allow me to ride either. I would always choose the
skate, as the flow is much more similar then those maniacs on their
bikes.

--
agentQ

'*)--SmallSpin-'O,*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFMXG116BE)
'*)---TreFlip-'O,'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpT0YFDgmz4)
'*)--DoubbleFlip-'O,*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/683454)
---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)

ktkartch
October 30th 08, 12:53 AM
yeah my nearest skate park has a sign that says no bikes and we do often
times get told that we are not supposed to be there but we usually talk
are way out of it.

One thing we have recently started doing is going early in the morning
at like 8 cause none of the skaters get there till at least 10 or later.

--
ktkartch

sxbud138
October 30th 08, 01:04 AM
I bet our town has maybe 10000 people and i dont think 100 kids total
skate.
I want to just wing it once but the skate park is on the main steet and
on the beach. Im the only person to ride a uni and many people know me
so it wouldnt take long for the word to get out. I think its better to
ask first.:)

--
sxbud138

johnfoss
October 30th 08, 01:13 AM
It took until post #8 for anyone to mention the "I" word. Insurance will
be the reason bikes (and probably unicycles) are not allowed, and
insurance is probably the underlying cost that draws the line there.
It's probably cheaper to insure for one type of activity only, where
there's less chance of collision between different modes of activity.
Also the bikes do go faster, weigh more (than a body + skateboard) and
have a lot more pokey metal sticking out to do damage to people and
property.

That said, AgentQ may have had the best advice in here: "your speed and
overall riding is much more like skateboarding than biking." This is
true. Also, you don't have the handlebars and added hardware of a bike
to do damage in a collision with a person. Plus, it's much harder to
send a unicycle shooting out like a skateboard (though we know it's
possible).

If you make your case politely and with plenty of facts to back you up,
you might make some progress. Though I can't recommend "just riding
there" and seeing what happens, it might be the best way to maximize
your amount of time to use the park. Ask, and they can say no. Don't
ask, and they can only say "get out." :)

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper

Hazmat
October 30th 08, 09:25 AM
1-wheeled-grape;1121668 wrote:
> The skate park I go to has no rules, no guard, no cost to get in...
> nothing. I've seen people go up there on mountain bikes and just ride
> around in circles. It's annoying :mad:
> I rarely go there any more though because of the large amount of rude
> and arrogant skaters. Plus there isn't much to do.
> When I do go I don't do much any way, practice on the grind rail or
> just practice a few things in the corner, because it's flat and out the
> way. I prefer it out on the street where there's more to do.

*1) *Same as for the parks i have gone to. I don't get why you would
have to pay though. :confused:
*2) *When people saw me riding a coker, most bike riders,
skateboarders, etc stacked it with a face like :eek:
*3) *I can't even remember the last time i even went to the park. :p

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

catinabag1 wrote:
> we should provide the defibrilator
> TPBM want some ice cream with smarties while they power up!

:D 'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM) :D

joejumps4fun
November 3rd 08, 01:54 AM
Well that makes more sense...still it's stupid. I ride wherever I want!
:)

--
joejumps4fun

~*Joey*
www.geocities.com/jneigh4
www.youtube.com/jneigh
www.vimeo.com/jneigh

sxbud138
November 3rd 08, 02:06 AM
Im going to try to make it down to the city this week. Updates to come !

--
sxbud138

beeper
November 3rd 08, 02:37 AM
The only park I really ride is in PA when I go there, and it's no cost.
There is a 9 set, a ledge running down that same set, a few transitions,
2 quarter pipes, a fly box and a flat bar. Its great. No one can kick
you out, no one cares what you do, as long as you don't destroy the
place completely.

--
beeper

)-90'-UNISPIN-O