PDA

View Full Version : Is bottoming out bad?

hungry4uni
October 31st 08, 08:08 PM
results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/73880
Question: What do you think about bottoming out?

- Bottoming is horrible, your uni should never do it.
- You should try to avoid it, but its really not a big deal.
- No big deal.
- I do it all the time, and my uni is fine.

please vote above for what you think when you bottom out. I'm tired of
raising my psi more and more when I bottom out, is it really that bad to
bottom out. I can usually get a good roll-out, but when my landing spot
is small, I tend to bottom out, is this such a big deal? Keep in mind,
that I don't really care if I blow a tube, I can just patch it or get a
new one.

--
hungry4uni

*ŤŔϊãĻş
ЦИΪĈҰĆĻέ*

Jeremy R
October 31st 08, 08:10 PM
Please, just recycle an old thread. And no poll.

--
Jeremy R

Six Six One
Mountain Uni

Jerrick
October 31st 08, 10:09 PM
Its not the worst thing, but you change getting a flatspot/small
dent/big dent in your rim or pinching the tube.Its not completely
unavoidable though, so I just kinda live with it, cause sometimes it
happens.

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

hungry4uni
October 31st 08, 11:45 PM
I went to do some natural trials today, and the rocks I was jumping on
were very uneven.
Imagine putting balls, under a carpet, that sort of thing. And I think
I touched rim a few times, also, there was a 2-3 foot drop I did onto a
smooth rock and I think I bottomed out there as well. (though the rock
did only allow about a quarter-rev roll-out)

Is that bad? Should I stop worrying about bottoming out?

--
hungry4uni

*ŤŔϊãĻş
ЦИΪĈҰĆĻέ*

1-wheeled-grape
October 31st 08, 11:53 PM
It's not good, but it's not terrible either. You could take your cranks
off and put them on on a different angle so you would be landing on a
different section of the rim to reduce the wear on the rim, otherwise
you may damage it.
Also try with a little more PSI to stop it bottoming out as often.

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you? :rolleyes:
*
*Be careful not to bugger the shifty shaft-joemarshall*
*
**
*

saskatchewanian
October 31st 08, 11:58 PM
don't worry about it unless you are popping tubes. So what if your rim
gets a little bent, it is a trials uni: It does not use breaks, you
don't go fast, a perfect rim in not necessary.

Having said that I try to avoid bottoming out too much. Aim for not
bottoming out on more than 5-10% of drops. (just like tuning a
snowmobile suspension :))

--
saskatchewanian

harper
November 1st 08, 01:20 AM
Bottoming your tire on a drop is no where near as bad as starting a
poll. When you bottom your tire you only affect yourself. When you start
a completely useless poll you annoy the entire RSU community.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith

_Ground_Zero_
November 1st 08, 02:14 AM
having you actually *hit* the rim is bad. If it just kinda taps the rim,
I think it's fine.

edit: What's so annoying about having to scroll a 5 or 6 paragraph
sized poll when you're only gonna be in the thread 2 or 3 times most
likely?

--
_Ground_Zero_

-Zero
)-2xLegwrap-O 3rd

harper
November 1st 08, 04:53 AM
_Ground_Zero_;1122567 wrote:

> edit: What's so annoying about having to scroll a 5 or 6 paragraph
> sized poll when you're only gonna be in the thread 2 or 3 times most
> likely?

I will make the wild assumption that you are asking me this question
although that's not really specified. My response is, "you are kidding,
aren't you?"

We are constantly faced with RSU polls the results of which are never
posted or analyzed and which benefit no one in any way whatsoever. To
say, "what's so annoying about having to scroll a 5 or 6 paragraph sized
poll when you're only gonna be in the thread 2 or 3 times most likely,"
is somewhat like saying, "telemarketers don't call that often. What
makes you say they're wasting your time?" Or, "pop-up ads are really
useful and attractive. They don't get in the way very much or use that
many resources so why do I care?" Or even, "junk mail and SPAM is only
75% of the correspondence I receive. Why should it bother me to wade
through it to find the useful stuff?"

Polls, if not analyzed with results posted, are a useless waste of
people's time. Why keep posting them and cluttering up the forum?

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith

Jerrick
November 1st 08, 05:31 AM
harper;1122636 wrote:

> Polls, if not analyzed with results posted, are a useless waste of
> people's time. Why keep posting them and cluttering up the forum?

Well, arent most polls here used for personal information. Not for the
community but for the one who created it? If the OP comes back and sees
his poll, and sees that from the ones who voted, most of them picked one
answer more than the others, and from that, he decides what to do, then
doesnt that mean the poll was effective?

Polls dont clutter the forums, threads do. =p

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

kington99
November 1st 08, 08:43 PM
The problem with bottoming out is that it breaks stuff. If you're not
breaking stuff, don't worry about bottoming out. If you are breaking
stuff, then that is why.

--
kington99

Dave