PDA

View Full Version : Re: New Upgrades - Nimbus Stealth Pro Rim + 14g SS Spokes

Rowan
November 3rd 08, 09:35 PM
My first impression was "I'm not impressed with this ugly white!".
Because there was no choice of black in NZ. Replacing a black Airfoil in
a black frame seems a bit silly.

My first problem when getting my wheel built was finding spoke washers.
On my previous wheelbuild I had a lot of snapping spokes problems due to
the Coker hub being designed to take 13 gauge spokes- so the ends of the
14 gauge spokes would wriggle around in the holes. I managed to find
stainless steel washers easy enough but in my opinion they should come
with the spokes and come with advice on using them since it was only
$2.

rob.northcott;1037053 wrote:
> Overall saving: 1330g, more than twice (almost three times) my guess,
> and all from the wheel.

The weight saving is nice, but at what cost? If you ever get a puncture
how the heck are you going to take the tire off? It took me 3 tire
levers to get the damn thing on- resulting in a pinch flat. I got it off
and on, fixed with a slow flat left over, and snapped my tire lever
trying to get it back off. Now I am going to order Nylon coated steel
core tire levers from England to get this ridiculously tight tire off,
negating most of the weight savings if I carry them. If I am ever in an
endurance race and I get a flat tire I will probably have to give up
instead of fixing it cos I am not looking forwards to taking it off
again.

In my opinion this might have happened due to the bad batch of
Airfoils. They were made the wrong size and some people's tires popped
off at high pressure I think- so they went and made the Stealth pro the
wrong size bigger- so they are not practical!

I'm sick of hearing the old excuse from manufacturers that "It costs
too much to make a new tire/rim and there are not enough unicyclists". I
reckon if one was available, I'd use a tire that is similar to 700c, but
around 40" or 42" in size. Make a Carbon or alloy rim. We have had so
many new combinations of 36" tires and rims but very little innovation-
basicly the same thing but a few grams different. There was obviously a
lot of money to be made or they wouldn't make so many different sorts-
airfoil, coker, stealth pro, wheel ta, nimbus nightrider etc. All these
wheels are basicly designed to be ridden offroad- we need a lightweight
high pressure road version! And a new narrow innertube to match!

Maybe I don't understand how difficult it would be to mount such a
tire/rim combination and have it stay on successfully.

I get the feeling unicycle.com is there to make money off us rather
than to serve our needs sometimes.

--
Rowan

rob.northcott
November 3rd 08, 09:49 PM
My TA tyre isn't a particularly tight fit on my Stealth rim. In fact,
the first time I fitted it I was going to pump it up hard to seat the
rim, but it blew off the rim at less than 50 psi. That's not a problem
to me because I never run my tyre over 30psi anyway. I can't fit it
without a tyre lever, but plastic levers (just normal Park ones) are
enough for removal and fitting.

Perhaps the Nightrider tyre is a tighter fit.

And I quite like the white finish (and that's coming from somebody who
would usually go for black everything)

Rob

--
rob.northcott

scotthue
November 3rd 08, 10:07 PM
rob.northcott;1124042 wrote:
> My TA tyre isn't a particularly tight fit on my Stealth rim. In fact,
> the first time I fitted it I was going to pump it up hard to seat the
> rim, but it blew off the rim at less than 50 psi. That's not a problem
> to me because I never run my tyre over 30psi anyway. I can't fit it
> without a tyre lever, but plastic levers (just normal Park ones) are
> enough for removal and fitting.
>
> Perhaps the Nightrider tyre is a tighter fit.
>
> And I quite like the white finish (and that's coming from somebody who
> would usually go for black everything)
>
> Rob

The nightrider and stealth pro rim fit quite nicely, not hard to put on
but a solid fit and can easily pump up to 80 PSI without it blowing off.
(I've never had it blow off, but I have gotten it up to 80 PSI in case
you misread the previous sentense.)

--
scotthue

Google