PDA

View Full Version : My Commute Home (pics of the ride, none of the coyotes)

November 4th 08, 11:35 PM
Had an interesting ride home tonight. I always encounter some
wildlife, and occasionally hear a coyote in the distance, but tonight
was different. The first part of my ride is powerlines, and then I
get into some truck & ATV trails. Once off the powerlines I heard a
bark. I figured it was a hunter still out with his dog, but it struck
me as wierd. When I heard another I put together that the sun had
been down over an hour, and it was unlikely a hunter was still out. I
removed one of my ear buds and turned my phone (which was serving as
an MP3 player for a podcast) down in the other ear. The barks
continued, sporatically. I figured out that the barks were too wild
sounding, if that makes any sense, and too sporatic to be a dog. When
a domesticated dog barks at you, it does it once or twice, or maybe it
goes on a barking bender. This didn't fit the pattern. Sound was
different also. Definately coyotes. Since the trail winds around, I
can't tell for sure if there was more than one of them, if it was one
that was moving, if I was riding through a pack or if I was riding
around a pack. Certainly made the experience more interesting though.

I took some pictures of the commute as well. My night photo skills
are terrible. I couldn't get anything using night scene mode, so I
was stuck with what the flash would capture. Anyway, this is what my
commute home looks like. Unfortunately no critter & coyote sound
effects to add to the album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/Commute#

November 5th 08, 02:29 AM
On Nov 4, 6:35*pm, " > wrote:
> Had an interesting ride home tonight. *I always encounter some
> wildlife, and occasionally hear a coyote in the distance, but tonight
> was different. *The first part of my ride is powerlines, and then I
> get into some truck & ATV trails. *Once off the powerlines I heard a
> bark. *I figured it was a hunter still out with his dog, but it struck
> me as wierd. *When I heard another I put together that the sun had
> been down over an hour, and it was unlikely a hunter was still out. *I
> removed one of my ear buds and turned my phone (which was serving as
> an MP3 player for a podcast) down in the other ear. *The barks
> continued, sporatically. *I figured out that the barks were too wild
> sounding, if that makes any sense, and too sporatic to be a dog. *When
> a domesticated dog barks at you, it does it once or twice, or maybe it
> goes on a barking bender. *This didn't fit the pattern. Sound was
> different also. *Definately coyotes. *Since the trail winds around, I
> can't tell for sure if there was more than one of them, if it was one
> that was moving, if I was riding through a pack or if I was riding
> around a pack. *Certainly made the experience more interesting though.
>
> I took some pictures of the commute as well. *My night photo skills
> are terrible. *I couldn't get anything using night scene mode, so I
> was stuck with what the flash would capture. *Anyway, this is what my
> commute home looks like. *Unfortunately no critter & coyote sound
> effects to add to the album.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/Commute#

holy crap batman, a wet muddy offroad in the dark ? how far or how
long is your commute ? ever worry about yahoo-red-neck hunters getting
bored with hunting small furry animals ?

November 5th 08, 02:56 AM
On Nov 4, 9:29*pm, wrote:
> On Nov 4, 6:35*pm, " > wrote:
>

> > Had an interesting ride home tonight. *I always encounter some
> > wildlife, and occasionally hear a coyote in the distance, but tonight
> > was different. *The first part of my ride is powerlines, and then I
> > get into some truck & ATV trails. *Once off the powerlines I heard a
> > bark. *I figured it was a hunter still out with his dog, but it struck
> > me as wierd. *When I heard another I put together that the sun had
> > been down over an hour, and it was unlikely a hunter was still out. *I
> > removed one of my ear buds and turned my phone (which was serving as
> > an MP3 player for a podcast) down in the other ear. *The barks
> > continued, sporatically. *I figured out that the barks were too wild
> > sounding, if that makes any sense, and too sporatic to be a dog. *When
> > a domesticated dog barks at you, it does it once or twice, or maybe it
> > goes on a barking bender. *This didn't fit the pattern. Sound was
> > different also. *Definately coyotes. *Since the trail winds around, I
> > can't tell for sure if there was more than one of them, if it was one
> > that was moving, if I was riding through a pack or if I was riding
> > around a pack. *Certainly made the experience more interesting though..
>
> > I took some pictures of the commute as well. *My night photo skills
> > are terrible. *I couldn't get anything using night scene mode, so I
> > was stuck with what the flash would capture. *Anyway, this is what my
> > commute home looks like. *Unfortunately no critter & coyote sound
> > effects to add to the album.
>
> >http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/Commute#
>
> holy crap batman, *a wet muddy offroad in the dark ? how far or how
> long is your commute ? ever worry about yahoo-red-neck hunters getting
> bored with hunting small furry animals *?

10 Mile commute, 9 of which is off-road. No, I don't worry about
"yahoo red-necks", hunting or otherwise. No need to. If I run into
someone, there's a decent chance I already know them, and if I don't,
I'm still not worried about it. Must be the yahoo-red-neck in me.

Bob
November 5th 08, 02:57 AM
On Nov 4, 8:29*pm, wrote:
> On Nov 4, 6:35*pm, " > wrote:
>

> > Had an interesting ride home tonight. *I always encounter some
> > wildlife, and occasionally hear a coyote in the distance, but tonight
> > was different. *The first part of my ride is powerlines, and then I
> > get into some truck & ATV trails. *Once off the powerlines I heard a
> > bark. *I figured it was a hunter still out with his dog, but it struck
> > me as wierd. *When I heard another I put together that the sun had
> > been down over an hour, and it was unlikely a hunter was still out. *I
> > removed one of my ear buds and turned my phone (which was serving as
> > an MP3 player for a podcast) down in the other ear. *The barks
> > continued, sporatically. *I figured out that the barks were too wild
> > sounding, if that makes any sense, and too sporatic to be a dog. *When
> > a domesticated dog barks at you, it does it once or twice, or maybe it
> > goes on a barking bender. *This didn't fit the pattern. Sound was
> > different also. *Definately coyotes. *Since the trail winds around, I
> > can't tell for sure if there was more than one of them, if it was one
> > that was moving, if I was riding through a pack or if I was riding
> > around a pack. *Certainly made the experience more interesting though..
>
> > I took some pictures of the commute as well. *My night photo skills
> > are terrible. *I couldn't get anything using night scene mode, so I
> > was stuck with what the flash would capture. *Anyway, this is what my
> > commute home looks like. *Unfortunately no critter & coyote sound
> > effects to add to the album.
>
> >http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/Commute#
>
> holy crap batman, *a wet muddy offroad in the dark ? how far or how
> long is your commute ? ever worry about yahoo-red-neck hunters getting
> bored with hunting small furry animals *?- Hide quoted text -

"Yahoo redneck hunters"? You sound like a city boy that's watched
"Deliverance" one time too many. The *only* case involving a hunter
intentionally shooting at people that I've ever heard of happened a
few years ago in southern Wisconsin. That particular "yahoo redneck
hunter" turned out to be a mentally disturbed Asian dude who had no
legal right to possess a firearm.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

November 5th 08, 03:16 AM
On Nov 4, 9:57*pm, Bob > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 8:29*pm, wrote:
>

> > On Nov 4, 6:35*pm, " > wrote:
>
> > > Had an interesting ride home tonight. *I always encounter some
> > > wildlife, and occasionally hear a coyote in the distance, but tonight
> > > was different. *The first part of my ride is powerlines, and then I
> > > get into some truck & ATV trails. *Once off the powerlines I heard a
> > > bark. *I figured it was a hunter still out with his dog, but it struck
> > > me as wierd. *When I heard another I put together that the sun had
> > > been down over an hour, and it was unlikely a hunter was still out. *I
> > > removed one of my ear buds and turned my phone (which was serving as
> > > an MP3 player for a podcast) down in the other ear. *The barks
> > > continued, sporatically. *I figured out that the barks were too wild
> > > sounding, if that makes any sense, and too sporatic to be a dog. *When
> > > a domesticated dog barks at you, it does it once or twice, or maybe it
> > > goes on a barking bender. *This didn't fit the pattern. Sound was
> > > different also. *Definately coyotes. *Since the trail winds around, I
> > > can't tell for sure if there was more than one of them, if it was one
> > > that was moving, if I was riding through a pack or if I was riding
> > > around a pack. *Certainly made the experience more interesting though.
>
> > > I took some pictures of the commute as well. *My night photo skills
> > > are terrible. *I couldn't get anything using night scene mode, so I
> > > was stuck with what the flash would capture. *Anyway, this is what my
> > > commute home looks like. *Unfortunately no critter & coyote sound
> > > effects to add to the album.
>
> > >http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/Commute#
>
> > holy crap batman, *a wet muddy offroad in the dark ? how far or how
> > long is your commute ? ever worry about yahoo-red-neck hunters getting
> > bored with hunting small furry animals *?- Hide quoted text -

> "Yahoo redneck hunters"? You sound like a city boy that's watched
> "Deliverance" one time too many. The *only* case involving a hunter
> intentionally shooting at people that I've ever heard of happened a
> few years ago in southern Wisconsin. That particular "yahoo redneck
> hunter" turned out to be a mentally disturbed Asian dude who had no
> legal right to possess a firearm.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Hunt

Agreed. I've run into countless hunters. Bow hunters, guys hunting
with guns, guys alone, guys in groups. I've run into them on foot,
on my bike, in my truck and on occasion in my kayak. One thing they
all have in common is that not a single one of them has ever
threatened me, tried to intimidate me, or done anything slightly
threatening. Their reaction is actually pretty standard. They'll
either offer a friendly hello and maybe chat for a moment if they're
already on the move, or they'll stay stalk still hoping I won't blow
their cover if they're set up somewhere all camo'd out trying to blend
in. Regardless, they've never tried to threaten me or made me feel
threatened in any way. Shame I can't say the same for car drivers and
city folk.

November 5th 08, 01:14 PM
On Nov 4, 10:16*pm, " > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 9:57*pm, Bob > wrote:

> > > holy crap batman, *a wet muddy offroad in the dark ? how far or how
> > > long is your commute ? ever worry about yahoo-red-neck hunters getting
> > > bored with hunting small furry animals *?- Hide quoted text -

> > "Yahoo redneck hunters"? You sound like a city boy that's watched
> > "Deliverance" one time too many. The *only* case involving a hunter
> > intentionally shooting at people that I've ever heard of happened a
> > few years ago in southern Wisconsin. That particular "yahoo redneck
> > hunter" turned out to be a mentally disturbed Asian dude who had no
> > legal right to possess a firearm.
>
> > Regards,
> > Bob Hunt
>
> Agreed. *I've run into countless hunters. *Bow hunters, guys hunting
> with guns, guys alone, guys in groups. *I've run into them on foot,
> on *my bike, in my truck and on occasion in my kayak. *One thing they
> all have in common is that not a single one of them has ever
> threatened me, tried to intimidate me, or done anything slightly
> threatening. *Their reaction is actually pretty standard. *They'll
> either offer a friendly hello and maybe chat for a moment if they're
> already on the move, or they'll stay stalk still hoping I won't blow
> their cover if they're set up somewhere all camo'd out trying to blend
> in. *Regardless, they've never tried to threaten me or made me feel
> threatened in any way. *Shame I can't say the same for car drivers and
> city folk.- Hide quoted text -

thanx for the info dankmtb; I live in an urban area, any gunshots here
are all bad news; the folks who I know who go hunting drive larger
4x4s and such, and those types of vehicles tend to be involved in
incidents threatening cyclists on the side of the road, ergo my
concern.

November 5th 08, 04:13 PM
On Nov 5, 8:14*am, wrote:
> On Nov 4, 10:16*pm, " > wrote:

> > > "Yahoo redneck hunters"? You sound like a city boy that's watched
> > > "Deliverance" one time too many. The *only* case involving a hunter
> > > intentionally shooting at people that I've ever heard of happened a
> > > few years ago in southern Wisconsin. That particular "yahoo redneck
> > > hunter" turned out to be a mentally disturbed Asian dude who had no
> > > legal right to possess a firearm.
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Bob Hunt
>
> > Agreed. *I've run into countless hunters. *Bow hunters, guys hunting
> > with guns, guys alone, guys in groups. *I've run into them on foot,
> > on *my bike, in my truck and on occasion in my kayak. *One thing they
> > all have in common is that not a single one of them has ever
> > threatened me, tried to intimidate me, or done anything slightly
> > threatening. *Their reaction is actually pretty standard. *They'll
> > either offer a friendly hello and maybe chat for a moment if they're
> > already on the move, or they'll stay stalk still hoping I won't blow
> > their cover if they're set up somewhere all camo'd out trying to blend
> > in. *Regardless, they've never tried to threaten me or made me feel
> > threatened in any way. *Shame I can't say the same for car drivers and
> > city folk.- Hide quoted text -

> thanx for the info dankmtb; I live in an urban area, any gunshots here
> are all bad news; the folks who I know who go hunting drive larger
> 4x4s and such, and those types of vehicles tend to be involved in
> incidents threatening cyclists on the side of the road, ergo my
> concern.- Hide quoted text -

Not a problem.

Don't know what kind of a read you've gotten off of me from my posts
here, but I assume you wouldn't expect me to be a threat to a
cyclist. I carry tools in my vehicle, and have helped serious
cyclists and kids alike broken down on the side of the road when
passing in my vehicle.

My vehicle, incidentally, is a 4x4 "Off-Road" specific (says so right
on the bed) pickup. I've also done some mods to make it an even more
serious off-road vehicle, such as manual locking hubs (forget that
vacuum nonsense switch in the cab, I can get out if need be, I can't
always drive and wait for it to engage, as I might already be
stuck).

IME responsible gun owners and hunters are some of the most polite
people you'll ever come across. Not to be confused with illegally gun-
toting thugs, mind you. Swing by a gun shop & shooting range some day
(if they even have them in your area) and you may be surprised. The
local range/shop is one of my favorite places to hang out, actually.
I like bike shops too, mind you, but I've never been invited to stay
after hours @ my LBS so we could play some more and they could teach
me, free of charge, how to do work that would cost them sales. I
have, however, been @ the gun shop/range a couple hours past close
getting free lessons on how to hand-load, and firing off our own hand
loads. I've also shot the guns of many of the shop regulars, as well
as any I was interested in that were up for sale. As much as I love
my LBS, I don't think my mechanic is going to let me take his personal
bike out for a whirl "just to try it out", or stay a few hours late
after locking the doors to teach me how to work on my bike.

It's actually kind of funny encountering a big 4x4 on a single width
muddy trail when on a bike. I pull off the road to let them by (as I
do whenever I hear a motorized vehicle coming, just to be safe), but
they usually pull over as far as they can and wave me by, so they
don't splash me with mud going past. It almost turns into a classic
"after you, no, after you, but I insist" bit, except once they offer
to let me pass them I do so, since the mud coming off their tires is a
valid concern for me getting sprayed.

That entire commute (at least the off-road portion of it) is legit
hunting ground, and most of it has legal truck access. Even the parts
that don’t have questionable access, such as the muddy route I take
out. This makes it wise to wear hunter orange in daylight during
hunting season, and a bell is never a bad idea, but intentional
threats are a complete non-issue.

I have to admit that after posting I do that commute in the dark, and
was apparently warned, stalked, or at least reported to the others by
a coyote, your first thought was the hunters might be dangerous. IMO
the biggest danger out there would be a rabid fox or coyote. In their
right mind they want nothing to do with something bigger than them,
especially all lit up, but rabies can do funny things. Even that risk
is negligible, however. I’m prepared to defend myself, though I doubt
the need would ever arise, and assuming I win the fight I’d be able to
get to a hospital and get treated in short order, even if I had to
call someone with a truck to come get me.

DennisTheBald
November 5th 08, 06:07 PM
fenders

November 5th 08, 06:12 PM
On Nov 5, 1:07*pm, DennisTheBald > wrote:
> fenders

Will be in place before winter for the slush and whatnot. Mud doesn't
bother me so much. Thing is, the widest fenders that I can find are
about the width of my tires. I'm hoping to get some coroplast
election signs now that it's over with and make some extra-wide ones
for myself.

DennisTheBald
November 5th 08, 09:21 PM
>.... I'm hoping to get some coroplast
> election signs now that it's over with and make some extra-wide ones
> for myself.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Meanwhile, back on the rabies front:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_fe_st/odd_fox_attack;_ylt=ApHir6kRqz7IsaXtMkNaPa7tiBIF

hope I'm not reading similar about you anytime soon - but it seems
that all but the fox will survive.

November 5th 08, 09:35 PM
On Nov 5, 4:21*pm, DennisTheBald > wrote:
> >.... *I'm hoping to get some coroplast
> > election signs now that it's over with and make some extra-wide ones
> > for myself.
>
> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

That's the plan. Unfortunately people are not overly responsive to
strangers knocking on their doors asking for things in these parts,
even if it is something they're just going to throw away. Keeping my
eyes open on trash day though!

> Meanwhile, back on the rabies front:
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_fe_st/odd_fox_attack;_ylt=A....
>
> hope I'm not reading similar about you anytime soon - but it seems
> that all but the fox will survive.

Yeah, getting bit isn't the end of the world, as long as you can get
to a hospital. I don't ride anywhere friends & family couldn't get to
me with a truck in short order if the need arose.

Also, if that were me, the story would read more like "After the fox
latched onto his arm, the cyclist promptly killed the fox. He then
called for help, and he was transported to the hospital with the dead
fox in the back of the truck. The autopsy on the fox will provide
additional info, but the cyclist is being treated for rabies as a
precaution in the mean time since it's very unusual for a fox to
attack something so much bigger than itself, especially something that
is not posing an immediate threat to the it or cornering the animal".

It appears that woman was not prepared to defend herself in such a
situation, or perhaps was just too panicked to act. Nothing is 100%,
but I am pretty confident that situation would have ended differently
had I been in her shoes.

That said, I hope you’re not reading anything similar about me in the
future as well! I grew up spending time in and around the woods, and
these animals are just a part of life for me. The odds of being
attacked are far less than the odds of being hit by a car, for
example.

What's creepy is we recently had a fox that was clearly disorientated
come out of the woods I ride in and hang out by the building I work
in, which is in an industrial park, for a good hour. It had to cross
a train station and a main road to get to my work. One of my
coworkers approached it to within 10 feet (something I would not have
done) and it stood up slowly, looked at him and lied back down. He
described it as looking sick and mangy. For it to be at my workplace
to begin with is extremely odd behavior, but to have such a non-
response to being approached is double-trouble. That was definitely
one sick fox. My vote was for rabies, but my coworker who approached
it felt that had it been rabid it would have been more aggressive when
he approached. “Unless it was on the ‘about dead’ end of the rabies
sickness”, says I. It was gone by the time I found out about it,
otherwise I’d have taken a picture and called animal control, not
necessarily in that order.

Peter Cole[_2_]
November 6th 08, 03:00 PM
wrote:

> That said, I hope you’re not reading anything similar about me in the
> future as well! I grew up spending time in and around the woods, and
> these animals are just a part of life for me. The odds of being
> attacked are far less than the odds of being hit by a car, for
> example.

My experience is that wildlife is much more commonly encountered in the
suburbs than rural areas. I'm 2 blocks from the Boston city line and
have daily visits to my yard by raccoons, possums, skunks and bats.
Coyotes and foxes are not rare around here, either. Deer are everywhere,
as are (very aggressive) turkeys. I don't expect to encounter bears or
wolves, although we did have a moose a few years ago (shot less than a
mile from my house).

Bats are the most likely vector for human rabies infections. Nobody
worries much about rabies around here, Lyme disease and Eastern equine
encephalitis are much bigger concerns.

CDC data for 2001 shows 279 animal rabies cases in MA, vs. 25 in NH, no
human cases in either state. 1999 data shows about 7,000 animal cases
across the US, no human cases. Of the animal cases, raccoons and skunks
amounted to about 5,000, foxes less than 400. I wouldn't worry about it.

The biggest danger from wildlife, not surprisingly, is car-deer
collisions. Even those kill only around 200 people a year across the
country. Since only 1:10,000 collisions is fatal (to the human), I'd
guess that NH only has one fatality every several years.

A mountain biker was killed in CA in 2004 (and another one mauled) by a
mountain lion, but that was only the sixth fatal attack in 110 years. I
think you're safe in NH.

November 6th 08, 05:29 PM
On Nov 6, 10:00*am, Peter Cole > wrote:
> wrote:
> > That said, I hope you’re not reading anything similar about me in the
> > future as well! *I grew up spending time in and around the woods, and
> > these animals are just a part of life for me. *The odds of being
> > attacked are far less than the odds of being hit by a car, for
> > example.
>
> My experience is that wildlife is much more commonly encountered in the
> suburbs than rural areas. I'm 2 blocks from the Boston city line and
> have daily visits to my yard by raccoons, possums, skunks and bats.
> Coyotes and foxes are not rare around here, either. Deer are everywhere,
> as are (very aggressive) turkeys. I don't expect to encounter bears or
> wolves, although we did have a moose a few years ago (shot less than a
> mile from my house).
>
> Bats are the most likely vector for human rabies infections. Nobody
> worries much about rabies around here, Lyme disease and Eastern equine
> encephalitis are much bigger concerns.
>
> CDC data for 2001 shows 279 animal rabies cases in MA, vs. 25 in NH, no
> human cases in either state. 1999 data shows about 7,000 animal cases
> across the US, no human cases. Of the animal cases, raccoons and skunks
> amounted to about 5,000, foxes less than 400. I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> The biggest danger from wildlife, not surprisingly, is car-deer
> collisions. Even those kill only around 200 people a year across the
> country. Since only 1:10,000 collisions is fatal (to the human), I'd
> guess that NH only has one fatality every several years.
>
> A mountain biker was killed in CA in 2004 (and another one mauled) by a
> mountain lion, but that was only the sixth fatal attack in 110 years. I
> think you're safe in NH.

I'd agree with you, and would have guessed something similar. The
stats are a nice reassurance though, although the fact that it didn't
concern me enough to look them up should say something.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
November 9th 08, 05:30 PM
Bob Hunt wrote:
> On Nov 4, 8:29 pm, wrote:
>> On Nov 4, 6:35 pm, " > wrote:
>> [...]
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/Commute#
>> holy crap batman, a wet muddy offroad in the dark ? how far or how
>> long is your commute ? ever worry about yahoo-red-neck hunters getting
>> bored with hunting small furry animals ?- Hide quoted text -

> "Yahoo redneck hunters"? You sound like a city boy that's watched
> "Deliverance" one time too many. The *only* case involving a hunter
> intentionally shooting at people that I've ever heard of happened a
> few years ago in southern Wisconsin. That particular "yahoo redneck
> hunter" turned out to be a mentally disturbed Asian dude who had no
> legal right to possess a firearm.

The usual problem hunters in Wisconsin are the trigger happy FIBS. "Hey,
look at that huge black and white 'deer' with the big udder!".

However, there are people in the more rural areas of Wisconsin that will
fire shots over your head for merely riding along a public road in the
dark - I have experienced this twice.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
November 9th 08, 05:33 PM
wrote:
> On Nov 4, 9:57 pm, Bob > wrote:

>>> holy crap batman, a wet muddy offroad in the dark ? how far or how
>>> long is your commute ? ever worry about yahoo-red-neck hunters getting
>>> bored with hunting small furry animals ?- Hide quoted text -
>> "Yahoo redneck hunters"? You sound like a city boy that's watched
>> "Deliverance" one time too many. The *only* case involving a hunter
>> intentionally shooting at people that I've ever heard of happened a
>> few years ago in southern Wisconsin. That particular "yahoo redneck
>> hunter" turned out to be a mentally disturbed Asian dude who had no
>> legal right to possess a firearm.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bob Hunt
>
> Agreed. I've run into countless hunters. Bow hunters, guys hunting
> with guns, guys alone, guys in groups. I've run into them on foot,
> on my bike, in my truck and on occasion in my kayak. One thing they
> all have in common is that not a single one of them has ever
> threatened me, tried to intimidate me, or done anything slightly
> threatening. Their reaction is actually pretty standard. They'll
> either offer a friendly hello and maybe chat for a moment if they're
> already on the move, or they'll stay stalk still hoping I won't blow
> their cover if they're set up somewhere all camo'd out trying to blend
> in. Regardless, they've never tried to threaten me or made me feel
> threatened in any way. Shame I can't say the same for car drivers and
> city folk.

When I lived in rural Wisconsin, an out of state deer hunter walked
right into our yard, apparently thinking it was deserted. When I hailed
her from the porch, she whipped around, resulting in her pointing her
rifle right at me. Needless to say, I was not friendly in telling her off.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
November 9th 08, 05:38 PM
Peter Cole wrote:
> [...]
> A mountain biker was killed in CA in 2004 (and another one mauled) by a
> mountain lion, but that was only the sixth fatal attack in 110 years. I
> think you're safe in NH.

Maybe the mountain lions were trained by Mikey?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home