PDA

View Full Version : Now famous unicyclist

harper
November 5th 08, 06:59 PM
My son sent this link to me. This footage was taken of me sometime
recently. I know where it is on my route that they claim that there is a
red light but I don't think I ran it. They turned left at the
intersection right after me so it obviously changed right at that time.
I may have anticipated the light change, since I ride the route every
day, and took off right at the change. It's good being listed as "weird
unicycle guy" in the credits. I wish the audio was better so I could
hear what was being said. There is a curb cut I ride up on the other
side of the intersection to ride along a long, straight curb, probably
100 yards or so.

YouTube - weird
unicycle guy!

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith

Ben Meighen
November 6th 08, 12:55 AM
I've been filmed by so many random people exactly like this (with no
upd). I have been waiting for this to happen. If this guy had searched
"unicycle" on youtube first he may think twice about posting such low
quality vid.

Still a good sign that you ride alot

--
Ben Meighen

Git-R-Done

john_childs
November 6th 08, 06:33 AM
It is important to never make riding look easy. It was smart of you to
plan that UPD at the end to keep up the mystique.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)

Hazmat
November 6th 08, 06:49 AM
john_childs;1125805 wrote:
> It is important to never make riding look easy. It was smart of you to
> plan that UPD at the end to keep up the mystique.

Which is why i sometimes try to stack it on purpose, leaving a bruise
and make fake hurting sounds. So that way, people look at me and don't
try to unicycle. :D

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

:D *'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)* :D

Unisykolist
November 6th 08, 08:00 AM
Is the car going as fast as you or are you going as fast as the car?
:confused:
How fast is the car or yourself going?

--
Unisykolist

*Watch me attempt a 2 meter (6-7 foot) drop on a unicycle and stack it,
watch it on - *www.unisykolist.piczo.com
www.unisykolist.piczo.com
www.unisykolist.piczo.com

john_childs
November 6th 08, 08:17 AM
I calculated the cadence from the first few seconds of the video by
tapping out the cadence at a 'BPM calculator'
(http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm). Harper was pedaling at a cadence
of approximately 119.46 RPM. That works out to a speed of approximately
12.3165 MPH.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)

harper
November 6th 08, 02:45 PM
john_childs;1125872 wrote:
> I calculated the cadence from the first few seconds of the video by
> tapping out the cadence at a 'BPM calculator'
> (http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm). Harper was pedaling at a cadence
> of approximately 119.46 RPM. That works out to a speed of approximately
> 12.3165 MPH.

That is a very good approximation to the actual recorded speed of
12.3164838472mph.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith

scott ttocs
November 6th 08, 02:53 PM
Woah! 12.3164838472 MPH. Now that is precise!

I am usually happy with one significant digit. ;)

--
scott ttocs

Emile.m
November 6th 08, 04:56 PM
And that is 19.82 Km/h for non-Americans.

--
Emile.m

Ntappin wrote:

> I'm a butcher, and it took me like 10 minutes to get one nub off my
> luna.

2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y

hansc
November 6th 08, 05:26 PM
Actually more like 19.8214594 km/h.

By the way, this is the perfect opportunity to revive 'this'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72934) thread, don't
you think? :)

--
hansc

mscalisi
November 6th 08, 05:31 PM
harper;1125981 wrote:
> That is a very good approximation to the actual recorded speed of
> 12.3164838472mph.

That's too much precision. I just round up to the nearest 10, so I
would call that 20mph.

--
mscalisi

><> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><

peleschramm
November 6th 08, 05:34 PM
hansc;1126060 wrote:
> Actually more like 19.8214594 km/h.
>
> By the way, this is the perfect opportunity to revive 'this'
> (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72934) thread, don't
> you think? :)

Lol you said to revive another thread in that thread.

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

BillyTheMountain for President.

hansc
November 6th 08, 07:20 PM
peleschramm;1126068 wrote:
> Lol you said to revive another thread in that thread.

I'm a necromancer, you see. ;)

That's actually quite scary. I did a quick search and found that I've
only used the word "revive" twice in this forum. I wonder if the third
will refer to this thread?

--
hansc

Into the blue
November 6th 08, 07:22 PM
I am very disappointed to discover that you do not wear the swimsuit
when you ride.

--
Into the blue

Harper wrote:
> i wuld get a 20' trialls uni prolly with a blu tiar.
> get splined an a kh saet or ur a pansy.
> get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
> lol...awwsum.

harper
November 6th 08, 07:33 PM
Into the blue;1126121 wrote:
> I am very disappointed to discover that you do not wear the swimsuit
> when you ride.

I ALWAYS wear the swimsuit and ONLY wear the swimsuit when I ride.
There was some air-brushing or photoshopping done to the video to make
it more "family friendly" apparently. That may explain the poor
resolution, too.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith

maestro8
November 6th 08, 07:39 PM
harper;1125394 wrote:
> It's good being listed as "weird unicycle guy" in the credits.

We agree. Us normal unicycle guys don't want to be associated with the
likes of you.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire

ivan
November 6th 08, 07:40 PM
scott ttocs;1125983 wrote:
> Woah! 12.3164838472 MPH. Now that is precise!

No, it's just very accurate. You don't know how precise it is. Could be
12.3164838472 +- 5 mph.

--
ivan

Did you know that lighter flame smells like burnt nose
hair?entropy isn't what it used to be.

drumstuck
November 6th 08, 09:02 PM
ivan;1126145 wrote:
> No, it's just very accurate. You don't know how precise it is. Could be
> 12.3164838472 +- 5 mph.

No, it is the opposite. It's very precise. What we don't know is how
accurate it is.

The precision appears to be to 10 decimal places. I would say that this
may be the most -precise- speed ever given for a unicycle in motion.

We don't know how accurate it is. If the above figure was given by the
most accurate speedometer known to man it would be one thing. However,
it was given by someone watching a grainy clip on the internet and
banging their keyboard in time, so the answer is probably not going to
be accurate to 10 decimal places.

:p

--
drumstuck

skrobo
November 7th 08, 05:01 PM
i was going
10.12564825647826548241578925468245684515482255548 75698732165747854621578521878921657513548751
mph on my uni last time i rode it, before i broke it
now i've got the most precise speed ever recorded... :eek:

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><
'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"

scott ttocs
November 7th 08, 05:59 PM
drumstuck;1126243 wrote:
> No, it is the opposite. It's very precise. What we don't know is how
> accurate it is.
>
> The precision appears to be to 10 decimal places. I would say that this
> may be the most -precise- speed ever given for a unicycle in motion.
>
> We don't know how accurate it is.
>
> :p

drumstuck was paying attention in his physics class. I think he gets a
gold star for that answer. :)

--
scott ttocs

hobo_chuck
November 7th 08, 07:22 PM
Why is it that the elusive Harper looks so much like the extinct Newton?

--
hobo_chuck

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home